챕터14

Letters From The Black Hole
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♦ A/N: Please always take note of the date, it's really important and also to avoid any confusion of the timeline. Happy reading! ^^ ♦

 

→ APRIL 20, 2018 - FRIDAY

 

When Jaemin arrives at school on Friday morning, Renjun all of the sudden drags him away. He was literally just one step away from their classroom's entrance when the redhead pulled him by the arm and hauls him towards the comfort room. He didn't even have a chance to complain and so he just willingly went with him.

They enter the dilapitated amenity filled with an old tarnished mirror and faucet with water leaking from its base. The walls were a busy mosaic of white and blue and of course like every other boy's comfort room it stinks of pungent pee. Renjun lets go of his hand then immediately scouts one by one the rows of cubicle by deliberately kicking its doors like a maniac. 

"Dude, what is wrong with you?" Jaemin finally asked.

Renjun didn't respond until he reaches the last cubicle. When the coast is clear and it's absolutely just the two of them inside, he finally speaks, "So, have you received your fifth letter?" 

"Yeah, just a few days ago."

"And?"

"And you for not telling me about Lami." He scornfully retorted, then folded his arms across his chest. 

Renjun just chuckles, which annoyed Jaemin to a certain degree. "I'm sorry but don't worry about a thing. I've been keeping tabs on them for weeks now and thank Jesus that their paths never cross." 

"Is it really a bad thing for the two of them to date each other?" Jaemin asked, who by the way has been thinking about it since he first read the letter. So what if they dated? In two weeks, they're going to break up anyway and quite frankly Jeno easily moved on from the relationship. 

"Well, do you want them to end up together?" Renjun declared questioningly. 

He doesn't really know how to respond to that question. To be exact, he doesn't know what to feel. Feeling jealous would be so childish of him. And letting it slide would seem like he doesn't really care. So, it's the kind of situation where he questions if his opinions and feelings would matter. In the end, he just raises his shoulders towards Renjun indictating that he doesn't really have an answer that would seem appropriate in their predicament. 

"Look, they mentioned it in the letters because something was off with Jeno, be it before, during, or after they dated. They want us to intervene!"

"Lower your voice down!" Jaemin demanded as he suddenly gets weary of his surroundings. "Then, what do you suppose we do?" He half-whispered as he gets closer to the redhead.

"I don't really know." Renjun responded, much to the dismay of Jaemin. "But, when it gets down to it...I'll just date Lami myself." 

At his bold proclamation, Jaemin laughs sardonically. "What? You think I'm not desirable enough for a girl like Lami?" Renjun asked.

Jaemin takes his time to relax first before responding. "I'm sorry but you're not actually the Edward Cullen of this school and Lami distinctly lean towards those type of guys."

Everybody knows Lami Branyad. Well, the girl practically wants to be known throughout Gyeonghwa High. She would strut her way in the hallways every morning along with her popular clique of girlfriends. Adorned with various cosmetics and luxurious brand of shoes and bags, her whole persona screams that she was born from a filthy rich family. But she cares more about her image than her social status. So most definitely, the guy that she choses to date should always be on par to her ideals. And as of this moment, Lee Jeno is under her radar.

"Damn right I'm not. I'm more of Jacob kinda guy." 

Jaemin laughs again, finding the redhead's confidence ridiculous. "Not enough. You're more like Jasper, the handsome guy who everyone avoids." He teased. Of course, Gyeonghwa's soccer king is popular. But ever since Jeno steps into the picture, the people are more a keen to the hot guy from Seoul. Yes, Jaemin now addresses Jeno as the hot guy - especially after their phone call conversation that he hasn't mentioned to anyone yet.

Renjun sighs. "You really like Jeno huh?"

"Stop with the pity party." He said as the redhead started to look dejected. "I have a better idea in mind."

"What? You're going to date Lami yourself?"

"Na-uh! No one's going to date anybody. To be clear, we are not sacrificing ourselves here!" He immediately screamed, then covers his mouth right after upon realizing that his voice echoed. "My future self kind of provided a solution for that." This time, he went back to half-whispering.

"So, it's in your letter." Jaemin nodded a yes. "Do you need any help?"

"Not really, it's more of a solo mission." 

"Alright then." Renjun said brushing it off. "But, we have another thing to talk about."

"What about?"

"Do you think we're the only ones receiving letters?" At the redhead's statement, it sparks a sudden interest in Jaemin. "I mean, come on, we're not the only friends of Jeno."

"I've been meaning to talk to you about it, too. When I phone called Jeno, he mentioned that Jisung shares a lot of random stories to him. And you know our Park Jisung barely speaks out a sentence." He just knew something was fishy the day he heard it from Jeno. Talking and sharing stories is so not the Jisung that they grew up with.

Renjun nods incessantly. "Jeno did mentioned about it."

"About Jisung?"

"No. About you calling him." Jaemin just lets out a huh expression, not really finding it relevant. "Anyways, I also noticed something odd with Mark. He tweeted last night asking that he needs a perfect birthday gift for someone. That's clearly Jeno! So, how did he knew that Jeno's birthday is coming up?"

"Wait..." Jaemin said, asking Renjun to hold on his horses. "Jeno's birthday is coming up?"

"You didn't know? It's on Monday. April twenty-three." Of course, Jaemin doesn't know. It wasn't mentioned on the fifth letter! Or perhaps, it will be on the next letter.

He just sighs his frustration away towards future Jaemin. "Well, Mark could've just asked Jeno about that personally."

"Yes, but we're not actually the gift-giving type of friends are we?" With that said, it was indeed odd. Having been friends since they were toddlers, a simple birthday message is enough for them to express that they remember their special day. Actually buying a gift is out of the ordinary.

"So what now? Should we tell them?" 

The redhead lets out a quizzical expression. "I don't think we have to. If they really are receiving letters, then they're under the impression that it's their personal mission to follow to whatevers written in there. Just like you and I before, when I still don't know that you have one. For now, it's best to keep it to ourselves." He contemplated Renjun's suggestion for a while. Jaemin thinks having extra hands with saving Jeno would make the mission less impossible. But then again, involving too many people would arouse Jeno's suspicion. He considered the latter and finally agrees with Renjun.

"So, Mark and Jisung seems suspicious, then what about Donghyuck?"

"What about me?" And right before them marches the very proud figure of Lee Donghyuck. The two originally inside the bathroom jumps in surprise upon his entrance. They've been here for quite a while now so most likely his friends would look for them. "You've been gone for so long that I thought you guys are each other's . So, why did I heard my name?" He clasps his hands together as he awaits for a probable response from the two.

Jaemin and Renjun are just looking at each other, telepathically telling each other to answer. But since it's Donghyuck who caught them redhanded, it's hard to magically find a loophole out of this situation. 

"You misheard it." Renjun finally uttered.

"Oh, did I now?" Donghyuck almost immediately countered.

"It's nothing important. Now, let's go. We're late for class." And Renjun pulls along the shock stricken Jaemin with him as they exit without an explanation.

"Yah! I'm onto you guys!" Donghyuck shouted from inside the bathroom. 

As two narrowingly escapes hand in hand, they breathe out in a deliberate manner, thankful that they're out of Donghyuck's 'interrogation room'. But both of them knew, that Donghyuck won't let this slide easily.

 

On 3rd period (I think), I lent Jeno a pencil and an eraser, since he has this odd habit of forgetting his pencil case

Before lunch break, when he returned it, look inside the wrapper of the eraser

There's a hidden note inside it. Sadly, at that time I failed to notice it

If you see it reply quickly!

It will probably have major impact in changing the future

 

That's what the letter said.

Hence, the reason why he prepared his good set of pencil and eraser today. Well, not just today. He's been bringing his extra supplies since he last read the letter as he doesn't know when the exact event mentioned will happen. Yet again, Jaemin's finding a hard time to focus on their lesson. He weighed down his priorities and he didn't even think twice that Jeno has the paramount of importance. 

They were on their second period when Renjun was excused by Yuta, a senior soccer player, for uniform fitting. As the redhead gets up, everyone in the class praises him for making it in the team for countless of times already - dating back to when they're still in elementary. Jaemin just gives a full smile as Renjun passes by him, not even surprise that he'll banner the school once again. And when his gaze landed on Jeno, he looks every bit as happy as everyone else. Not a hint of jealousy that he couldn't get to play the sport that he loves. And Jaemin wondered what would've happened if the two could play together and he could hardly contain his happiness at just the thought of it. Renjun and Jeno playing side by side would be their opponent's worst nightmare as the two would've sweep the whole tournament.

When the second period ended and their teacher left the classroom, Jaemin spots Donghyuck stomping towards his direction. At the sight of his old friend's cynical look, he just turns his face to the other direction, hoping that he won't bring up what happened earlier in the comfort room as Renjun's not here to help him come up with an excuse.

"Yah!" Donghyuck yelled as he stops in front of him. "Spill the beans, what were you and Renjun talking about earlier?" And Jaemin just nods his head in frustration, not really in the mood for Donghyuck's cross-examination. 

"What is this about?" Jeno asked curiously. 

"I happen to run into two rats in the restroom this morning. And it appears this two rats are hiding a cheese!" Donghyuck exclaimed which earn a chuckle from Jaemin and Jeno, not really understanding what he meant.

"Yah, what the are talking about?" Mark asked, now joining their little circle.

"Shut up! I run out of metaphors!" He retorted maddeningly. "Now, I know you know what I'm referring to Mr. Na Jae Min!" Donghyuck continued to protest, voicing out his name per syllable with ultimate conviction. 

Jaemin still avoided Donghyuck's sharp gaze. Of course, he won't tell. Especially when Jeno's around to hear it. But, judging by how Donghyuck's reacting, perhaps he is not receiving any letters after all. Jaemin's not sure about it but why else would Donghyuck go berserk in the open like this when the most important person involve is within earshot? He could bug him about in secret, but he didn't. 

"So, you ain't gonna talk eh?" Jaemin just remained in his seat with lips locked, not gonna u

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter