챕터17

Letters From The Black Hole
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♦ A/N:Since I have already established that there are two universes, you can no longer pay attention to the dates. Happy reading! ^^ ♦

 

→April 23, 2028

 

Their two nights stay at Kun's humble household came to an end and pretty much all the shenanigans regarding the letters, the Black Holes, the Bootstrap Paradox, and the idea of multiverse has been perceived with the intended meaning. It all so sounds surreal - to Kun for the most part - that such otherworldly aspects exist. And to think that the five of them would go to such extremes for Jeno is another otherworldly idea. But still, all of their efforts are highly theoretical. There are no evidences, no actual indication that it worked. Jaemin wished that their experiment would turn out like any other experiments, say a bottle of coke effervescing upon the application of mentos, to tell them that it did work and maybe then this would give them some sort of relief. Some sort of hope.

Jaemin finds it hard to sleep last night although he was comfortable the night before. It was certainly not because he was about to see Jeno the next morning, if anything he's been dreading to see him the last couple of years and talk endlessly.

Mostly and certainly, it was because of Renjun's question to him right before they fell asleep. "Hey..." Renjun started off rather awkwardly as Jaemin was in the middle of his skincare routine. "Do you think...I mean...would you still chose me if Jeno is still around?"

It made him stop from gradually smearing his face with the toner as the words of Renjun slowly registers in his conscious mind. He stares at his beloved from the mirror and from there, Renjun looks solemn - no putdowns, no jokes, no frivolity. In other words, not the usual Huang Renjun that he knows. But despite his grim expression, Jaemin still gave him a short laugh but doesn't have an intention of hurting the latter.

"I just knew one day you would ask me that." And he did. He was prepared for the day that Renjun would somehow doubt, just a little, their relationship because Jeno has never really been out of the picture even if he's already dead. He knew that from the day he asked him to go out with him. Renjun gave him that look as if he was searching for any remains of his feelings for Jeno by scrutinizing him right through his eyes.


But of course, Jaemin won't enter a relationship with Renjun just to forget Jeno. That would be so inhumane of him. He waited for years, Renjun also, until Jeno is no more than a memory to him. After what seems like forever, he finally reciprocated Renjun's affection. But, his love for Jeno never really left. It was still there like a knot in the air. But unlike before, what seemed like a love that would last a lifetime has turned into a mere resonant connection. It is still possible for two souls to be entertwined although the other is no longer living. And that's how he felt for Jeno.

"So..." Renjun muttered. "What do you say?" This time, the now permed Renjun went a little closer to him, creating creases in the bed that they were sitting on as he advanced towards him. He was really eager to know his answer.

Although he saw this coming, Jaemin doesn't actually know how to respond. Even if he profess one more time to Renjun that he loves him with all his heart and soul, that is still not the answer that the latter was looking for.

Still with a puzzled mind, he went on explaining as best and as honestly as he can. "Jeno and I in our time..." He started slowly. "...are incompatible."

"Oh please, you two would've made a great couple!" Renjun instantly hollered with bitterness.

"I thought about that, too." He smiles rather melancholy. "But...I'm not the right person for Jeno."

The silence morphed afterwards but soon vanishes as Renjun speaks, "What do you mean?"

"The 'me' before is so weak." Jaemin felt a slight pang on his heart upon saying that. Remembering even the grimmest feelings that he felt ten years ago. "Unlike the rest of you, I already knew that Jeno's secretly suffering. I already sense that something is wrong and yet I didn't do anything."

Renjun then enclosed his arms around him, hoping to provide a little bit of comfort. "I still do love him, I didn't hide that from you." Jaemin continues as Renjun refrains from the embrace and listens to his lover. "But my love for him is not enough to save him. When I think about it, even if I did tell him that I like him, he would still remain as the broken Jeno that we met on the very first day. That is why I'm training my other self."

"Training him?"

Jaemin smiles. "If my letters did reach him, he's probably annoyed or...mad at me right now for not telling him the complete details because I want him to find it out on his own. To be brave and approach Jeno intently by himself. " He smiles once more, imagining alternate universe Jaemin's expression. "Yep, he would be so ing mad at me right now."

Renjun laughs along with him. The heavy aura from before is slowly dissipating.

"So, to officially answer your question Mr. Huang Renjun." Jaemin said as he shifts his position to face the letter and wraps his arms tenderly and affectionately on his waist. "In this universe, say if Jeno's alive, even if he's more handsome than you..."

"Yah!" The curly-haired Renjun immediately yapped. "You don't have to include that!"

He laughs jokingly and rests his forehead against the latter. "...I would still chose you."

"Stop using flattery against me. It won't work." Renjun said jokingly, trying to mask the giddiness that he felt through Jaemin's action.

"Yah! I completely meant what I said, okay?"

"Oh, I know." Renjun said as he caressed his head. "And so, in other words, you still love Jeno but not the same way that you love me?"

"Yeah, if you put it that way." He replied as relief washes through him, finally now sensing that Renjun understands him. "The reason why I really pushed through the letters is not because I still love him - well, it's a part of it but that's not the main reason." He mumbled. "I just wanted to...at least in another universe, I want Jeno to be happy. I want him to live."

He sincerely wishes that for Jeno. Especially, after reading his time capsule letter and how Jeno devoid it with his future plans. He wanted to see how Jeno originally planned his life before all the crazy stuff happened.

So last night, he kept worrying about Renjun. That he wouldn't feel his genuine feelings for him. This is why he wrote in one of his letters to the other Jaemin, to thank Renjun for everything he has ever done for him. He never really did ask for Renjun's help but it seems the latter has been offering it wholeheartedly without anything in exchange. Renjun was the one who really did notice him.

When they were up and ready to depart, they bid their goodbyes and thank yous to Kun's mother - since the former wanted to come along with them.

The drive en route to Jeno's house isn't that far given the fact that they all live in such a small town. But it was such a remoted place, close to the woods, and for a long time his family was the only inhabitants there. Along the way, Renjun made a stop on the flea market and bought once more a freshly-picked assorted flowers. Afterwards, he continued to drive to Jeno's.

Jeno's house stood itself in the far left corner of a good-sized plot of land. Planted on the ground are green leafy vegetables like kale, wild cabbages, and a few brussel sprouts. There's a huge magnolia tree beside the house and other small ones in various locations. The house itself is no longer the two-storey dingy, almost dilapidated establishment that he once remembered. The walls has been cemented and well-painted, the gable roof is spot on, and the verendra facing the garden gives off that old country vibe. So, Jeno's mother has been attending the place quite neatly.

They went on holding with them the gifts they bought for Jeno. In single file, they stride along the narrow pathway, step onto the verendra with Renjun on the lead as he knocks on the door.

After a short while, Jeno's mother smiles upon seeing them. "Oh my goodness, you're all here!" She beckoned excitedly as she opens the screen door.

Time has transcended down evidently on Mrs. Lee's face - all wrinkled with a few locks of silver hair. But she still gives off that expression like she's a remarkable women in her prime. She was wearing a simple flannel shirt over a white washed jeans with a floral apron draped across her waist. It appears like she's cooking judging from the smoking chimney as wells as a few beads of sweat cascading down her temples.

 "Let me see if I can recall your names correctly - Renjun and Jaemin, of course how can I forget Jaemin, the Canadian...uh Mark!"

"That's right, Mrs. Lee." Mark commented.

"And Dong...dong...hyuck! Donghyuck!"

"I'm starting to think you forgotten, Mrs. Lee." Donghyuck joke and everyone laughs.

"Jaesung?" She said tentatively to the youngest.

"That's Jisung, Mrs. Lee." Jisung politely corrected.

"Oh, I'm sorry. The old age is getting to me." Mrs. Lee. said. "And of course, Kun. Wow, I can't believe you guys came!"

"Oh, we couldn't miss Jeno's birthday." Renjun said.

"Thank goodness, I thought of baking a cake or else I don't have anything to feed you." No wonder, there's a smoke coming out of the chimney. "Well, come along now. Jeno's waiting for you guys." She said as she ushered them inside.

Jeno's mother remembered all of them during the funeral back in high school. And mostly because they were the only ones interrogated by the cops. Jaemin remembered very well how she attended to them after being questioned - always apologizing and thanking them for their cooperation.  She even made miso soup for them afterwards. And not once, though their a lot of opportunities to do so, did she asked about Jeno.

It's not because she doesn't care. She did care, terribly. She's just the mother. She just doesn't want to believe that Jeno would go down that path. She refuses to hear that her sweet Jeno - always smiling, always looking like he doesn't have any struggles at all - would chose to end his life. And maybe that's why she chose to stay here. Kun mentioned that a few months after the funeral, she resigned from her job at the neighbouring town and cooped up herself inside the house. No one knows what she's been up to but Jaemin can take a wild guess that perhaps she's been trying to accept what happened. Living out the remaining days without his precious son.

The house interior was surprisingly spacious and almost look like Elizabethan with the wooden panels along the corridors - so it seems like they only cemented the outer cortex of the house. There was an old, ornate chandelier dangling on the living room, and there a lot of glass figurines enclosed in cabinets and odd paintings of bearded men throughout the walls.

"Now, how is it that you all look so handsome as you near your thirties?" Mrs. Lee joked as they all got situated in the sofa of the living room.

"How is it that you still look like you're in your thirties, Mrs. Lee?" Donghyuck joked back and everyone's in a merry mood.

"We're sorry for comin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter