챕터8

Letters From The Black Hole
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♦ A/N: Please always take note of the date, it's really important and also to avoid any confusion of the timeline. Happy reading! ^^ ♦ 

 

→ April 5, 2018 - THURSDAY

 

Jaemin hasn't been himself since last week, since he finished reading the third letter. Out of all the things that his future self has revealed, it was the only thing that he cannot believe. The only thing that he cannot accept. He knows there are more upcoming letters, more absurdly accurate things that he has yet to know, but he has already concluded that this particular letter scared him the most.

Yes, Jeno's impending death scared him but more so in saving him. How the hell can he prevent something so ominous from happening? 

The words encrypted in the letters sinks into his head the following days after reading it that every time he sees Jeno he cannot help but feel sad. Just when he thought things are going on the right track, future Jaemin has dropped yet another bombshell on him. Still afflicted by the third letter, he decided to lay off with the fourth letter that he unsurprisingly received this morning. It's only for a while. He's not quite ready yet to engage himself to another saving Jeno episode.

So, that was future Jaemin's regret that has been building up for ten years. And soon, it will be his if he fails to turn things around in this timeline. He then imagined himself ten years from now, without Jeno, and just by going through that scenario in his mind left his heart aching.

By now, he doesnt know what to do. The burden of saving the guy that he likes crushes down on him like a heavy backpack, making it hard for him to stand, all the more to breathe. But, he knows he has got to stay strong, follow all the letters' requests, or else history will repeats itself. He doesn't wanna lose Jeno. 

His smile. He thought of Jeno's smile and how precious it was to see it. He would've gave up everything just to see that smile everyday, he could wake up looking forward to it and never get tired of it. Ten years from now or so, he still wants to see that smile.  

Furthermore, he's been acting all week in front of his friends. Making it look like everything's fine in order to hide it from them and truthfully he's doing a great job at it. Over the weekend, he contemplated on whether or not he should tell them. After all, he's not the only friend of Jeno.

Trouble was, would they believe him? His only proof are the letters he received from his future self but even that doesn't sound convincing enough. They'd think his crazy. So, saving Jeno is a one-man's job then. 

"Okay, class that would be all for today. I hope everyone goes through the lesson once more later tonight cause you're about to have an online quiz this Saturday." Mr. Minho, their Physics teacher, announced. The sound of the students' loathing echoes throughout the room and it breaks through Jaemin's train of thoughts.

He fixes his attention to his surroundings, continuously blinks his eyes close and open as he adjusts his vision, and was actually surprised to find out that he was inside the classroom. They were already in their fourth period and he hasn't written any notes since the class started. His mind is completely off today. 

"Hey, Jaemin." Jeno called out beside him. "Are you alright? You've been staring at a dead space since this morning." 

Bummer, now his seatmate has noticed. "Did I?" Jaemin said, trying to act naturally. "I guess...I don't feel like learning today." And he just sheepishly lets out a laugh.

Jeno completely bought his lie and simply giggles. "Guess what?"

"What?" Jaemin replied.

"I said guess! Come on you're not even trying." 

At that, Jaemin can't help but smile at how closer he and Jeno has become after the Basket Boys Season. They're talking freely, having casual conversation like this in a day to day basis. "Well, it's hard for me to guess if you're not gonna give me any clue." Jaemin replied happily.

"Oh forget it. I'm going to play soccer today!" Jeno exclaimed intensely. 

And for the first time in weeks, Jaemin feels genuinely happy. The upsetting message from the letter really did clouded his optism so much. And Jeno, once again, gave him that reason to smile.

"For real? Cool, I wanna see you play!" Jaemin said excitedly. And in that moment, he imagined an energetic Jeno running around the soccerfield with no worries planted on his face.

"I forgot to mention, I'm only in as a temporary player so there's no guarantee yet that I'll be able to play."

"At least, you'll get to wear your soccer uniform." Jaemin said trying to reassure him.

"Yeah...it's really been a while." Jeno said with his voice trailing away. 

"Why did you..."

Jaemin was just about to ask what made the latter stop playing when a hysterical Renjun cuts him off, "YAH! JENO-YAH! Let's go now! We have an afternoon practice today." By this time, the redhead has arrived on their seats.

"Is it really necessary for you to scream that out loud?" Jeno replied annoyingly.

"Well, I can't help it. I heard that you said that you're way better than me." Renjun said mockingly.

"What? Who told you that?" Jeno exclaimed surprisingly, then turn his head over to the guy sitting across him. 

Jaemin, clearly doesn't know what's going on, was taken aback when the two guys look at him skeptically. "What?! It wasn't me?!" Jaemin said trying to shake their suspicions. It really wasn't him. But he did remember that Jeno told him that he's better than Renjun at soccer during their Athletic's Cup. Did Renjun perhaps overheard them that day?

"Oh who else would tell me that Nana?" Renjun said. "You told me that last week, dumbo, have you forgotten already?" 

He goes back to his interactions with Renjun last week, but somehow he doesn't recall sharing such an information to him. Or maybe he did, but just let it slip his mind as it doesn't sound important. He is, after all, out of himself the last few days.

Jaemin was still trying to refresh his memory when all of the sudden Jeno went forward and ruffle his hair jokingly. "Yah, don't tell anyone Nana." 

At the contact of Jeno's hand, Jaemin felt the heat surges within him. He was dazed, confounded, but ultimately happy at the latter's action. He tried his best not to show any emotions, like it didn't affect him at all; but his heart was the first thing that gives away as it drums tremendously and soon enough beads of sweat started to form around his temples. And it also didn't help that Jeno called him by his nickname, for the second time! Well, it's not like he's keeping track of it. It's just that he is still not used to Jeno addressing him by his nickname and only close and special people calls him that way. So, in a nick of a time, Jeno now belongs to those special people.

"Let's go now, Jeno! You don't want to be late on your first practice." Renjun said as he vigorously pulls Jeno away, separating his hands from Jaemin's head. 

"What's the rush? I'm not even on the team yet." Jeno reasoned as he collects his bag and followed Renjun. 

"It'll give you a good impression if you come early." Renjun replied.

As the two were about to exit, Jeno pivots his attention once more to the overly flustered Jaemin. "Hey, don't forget to watch me okay? I'm easy enough to spot." 

"Y-yeah." Jaemin managed to utter meekly even giving a thumbs up to the new guy.

With that, the two proceeded to the playing field, swinging on their backs their soccer practice essentials. When they're completely out of sight, Jaemin released a huge breath that he doesn't know he was holding back. He can actually feel his heart tightening from nervousness but with the mixture of glee.

"Yeah, you like that huh?" Donghyuck said teasingly as he approached him.

"Oh, shut up." Jaemin countered as he playfully shoves Donghyuck by his shoulder.

It really has been a while since he felt like that. For a short sec

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter