13 A cat with no name

The Truth According to Cats and Dogs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I may have no name but every cat in this neighborhood knows that this parking lot is my domain. Other strays know better than to cross me. I am a fighter and a survivor, and they know it.

 

Two guys started coming here a few weeks ago. First they checked out the wall facing the parking lot after which more guys came to build scaffolding and paint the wall white. The two guys whose names I would later learn came regularly. The younger one is physically fit; his well-defined muscles on display as he seems to prefer wearing sleeveless shirts when he works. He also seems to be the more experienced visual artist because he has taken the lead when they started outlining the figures on the wall. The older one, however, has a more commanding presence. He has a naturally dark complexion, not the kind one gets from overexposure to the sun. I don't think he is used to outdoor labor as he seems to get out of breath climbing up or down the scaffolding. His hands are soft and warm, and he has an equally soft, warm gaze hooded by his unusually long lashes. Unlike the younger guy who comes at most thrice a week, he comes every night to work on the wall. Some days four other guys join them: a cute guy with a mesmerizing eye smile, an extremely handsome guy with platinum blonde hair, a good-looking guy who gets a kick out of teasing the oldest, and a tall serious-looking guy whose face lights up when he talks about his lovely wife and his mischievous son.


 

***
 

Eun Jiwon, the older of the two guys who work on the wall regularly, worked alone. He had taken a break, and was about to resume working when his phone rang. He picked up the call and from the way his face lit up, I know that it's the person for whom this project was started.


"Hello.”

 

“Hello. Is it a good time to call?”

 

Being on the upper part of the scaffolding, I could hear the other line clearly.


“You can call or message me anytime. How are you?”


“I'm good. Switzerland is wonderful! Everyone is nice to me. Joon oppa takes good care of me. The dongsaengs too.”


“That's good to know.” Jiwon's hand reached out and I came closer. He started rubbing his fingers in between my ears.

 

“But I miss everyone there. Omma, Ramee, Cheondoong... Dadoong-ie...”

 

“I'm sure they miss you too.”


“I miss our team. I wish you guys were here with me. Suhyun and Hayi. Seunghoon and Jinwoo... and Jiwon sunbaenim.” Was it the connection or her voice sounded softer at the end?

 

“I... we're talking now.”

 

“Still... I'm so sorry. Is this too awkward?”

 

“Not awkward, but I have to say I'm surprised. Pleasantly so. I know you don't like talking o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter