My gift

Inmate 457
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Choi HaSeul

When I was doing my work, I couldn't think myself to think about YongGuk. Why was he so bitter  with me ? I asked Himchan to meet me soon to have a talk  and when a tall and elegant man arrived in the library, I smiled. Himchan was really taking care of his volunteers often calling me to see if everything was okay. That message must have worried him. I came to meet him after asking for a break and he smiled, seeing me approach him. 

" Sunbae, you came so fast !! "

He laughed. " I'll buy you some coffee, okay ? So you have something to ask me ? " We walked to the coffee nearby and as we received our order, we went to sit down.

I sighed. " I'll be frank with you. I'd like to stop visiting Jaeho, I feel uncomfortable around him. "

Himchan joined his hands, as if begging for pardon. " I have excuses to give. You've been the fourth person we've set up with him. I think his personnality is hard to deal with. Sorry to have asked you to do that. It was silly of me. "

I thanked him and cleared my throat.  " Can you tell me for what he is in jail ? I felt really bad vibes from Jaeho. It still gives me shivers whenever I think about it. "

Himchan slowly sighed. " He his two younger sisters. And not just once. "

I gasped, a hand on my lips.  I wasn't expecting that kind of answer, but well, given the bad vibes he gave me that's not so surprising. Oh maybe today I finally understood where I was going everyweek. In a place where people commited crimes. I tend to forget that when I 'm with YongGuk, and it was the case.

I caressed my ring trying to give myself some comfort and cleared my throat.  " I won't be there this week to meet YongGuk. I need to give myself some time. "

Himchan nodded. " Okay I guess I can go and meet my friend then. He'll be happy to see me. "

I chuckled. " I'm sure he would. "

He asked me questions about the female prisoners I was visiting and was really glad when I told him I really enjoyed their company. They were people that needed a lot of attention yet their family turned away when they need help or just a person to listen to them. Sunbae was really a funny person, he told me a bit about his new projects and I listened to him with attention.

 

When I realized that it's been more that half an hour we were talking, I quickly stood up. "I need to go back to the library. Sorry. Thanks for listening to me Sunbae, it's very appreciated !!"

We greeted goodbye and I left for my  last hours of work.

 I was just cleaning tables, checking the news books we ordered with a mind full of thoughts. I also visited two women in a jail for women and never felt threathened by them.

Kim OkSu was an old grandma that lived on Jeju all her life, she scammed a lot of people in her life and got caught by police. She is a nice and witty woman, always ready to make me laugh, telling me about her scams a lot. She was very talented at what she was doing, a shame that it was illegal stuff !

Oh Hana is a young woman that got in prison for mistreating her baby. She told me about the absent dad of her kid and the toxic relationship she had with her  boyfriend. They did drugs together and her baby was born with withdrawal syndrom. After seeing her for the first time, I cried a lot.

Her story was too much sad, the worst is that we were the same age but we looked so different, she looked ten years older than me.

After visiting her that day, I went to work and someone dropped coffee on my table. " Professor Ok. "

" Please you don't have to call me Professor. You're not my student. "

That night we ate together. Professor Ok was a very cultivated man, a bit nervous around me and a very nice company. We talked about books and even went into a book shop, showing each others our favourite books.  As he paid for the meal, I thanked him. " That's nice of you to invit me. "

" Oh thanks for eating with me at all. You must have younger friends to eat with. "

I shrugged, he was too humble, it was really nice talking with him.  " Should I pay dessert ? "

*

Bang YongGuk

On saturday, Daehyun came to our cell and I had hopes. Hopes that HaSeul came, despite our incident last time. I was deeply sorry about it and felt so guilty.  I didn't want to lose her and being that aggressive talker last time was an error from me after all. I waited all week for her to come and she didn't. The week was long.

Daehyun had an encouraging smile. "Himchan is waiting for you. Hurry up "

I followed him, trying to digest that Himchan came instead of HaSeul. Was it the last time I saw her ?

Gosh, I was disappointed not to be able to give proper excuses. I tried to compose myslef, not make good impression to Himchan. I arrived in the room and smiled at I saw him, he was wearing a fancy suits, his perfect red leather suitcase resting again the table.  " Kim Himchan why do I get this honor to receive your visit ? "

Himchan smircked and patted my shoulder. " I felt like visiting my friend that's all. "

He told me about his life at the association. Himchan is so chatty, at first, he annoyed me so much, but after a few times, I found much more than a talkative man in front of me, he was considerate, very funny and a great storyteller on usual. 

" You see I like bulgoggi but that night I wanted to eat something lighter. But the volunteers insisted to- " The man interrupted himself. " Well, tell me if I'm boring. "

I shrugged. " Sorry, I'm just a bit gloomy these days. "

He looked at me, with curious eyes. Maybe I said too much ? Himchan simply patted my shoulder." HaSeul will come next week. She said she had a errand to do this week so I told her I would come and visit you. "

I nodded, trying to not show how relieved I was. I missed HaSeul,being able to and  her bunny teeths showing when she smiled. Himchan sat back and sighed. " I see you look glad about it. "

Damn, maybe I looked a bit too smiley to look unsuspicious. "Yeah, she tends to lend me books. "

My friend looked at me a bit before rolling his eyes. "Something happened ? She reported no sort of problems or whatsoever with you. Maybe meeting Jaeho shook her more than I thought. "

I looked at him and felt envious. He had the chance to meet HaSeul outside. I tried to justify myself.

" I was .... a bit aggressive when she came because she met Jaeho.  Are you for real, Himchan ? He's a and she stays a woman. I know there are cameras everywhere but still, you never know what could happen to her. "

Himchan looked surprised of my behavior yet nodded quietly. " I personally asked HaSeul for forgiveness, it was a mistake for our administration. We decided to sent one of our grannies to him. I hope she'll fit well. It's okay

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter