Just a volunteer

Inmate 457
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Choi HaSeul

I arrived a bit late today and kept fidgering my dress as I entered the parlor room. I hated to wear dress, I mean being  giant have drawbacks, most dresses don't fit me. YongGuk looked at my dress , revealing my legs and looked pretty nervous. Was he blushing ?  I sat down and rearranged my dress. " Sorry for making you wait. I had a previous meeting. "

" Oh, your boyfriend maybe ? " YongGuk asked, a bit uneasy.

I blushed and shook my head. " No no, my friend told me to come with her at some blind date and insisted to lend me her dress. I didn't had time to change myself."

YongGuk nodded. "So, how was it ? "

I took my phone. " You want to laugh a bit ? " I grinned to him and handed him my phone. Jaekyung sent me the messages she received from the guys of the blindate. It was five girls five men and damn, they weren't soft on their words.  " Lol, Jaekyung why did you bring a giant to our blindate, we wanted a girl not a titan. " " Ya did you want to remind us how short we are ? " " A librarian ? She isn't like the one in movies " " So boring girl "

YongGuk read it with a serious face. " Am I supposed to be entertained at them being mean about your appearance ? " Oh, he looked upset." Why does your friend send you these messages she received ? "

He gave me back my phone and I felt really bad. Uh, she just sent it with a legend saying "those helpless jerks".  I looked down, a bit embarrassed now, I just wanted someone to laugh it off and then forget about that awkward group date.

YongGuk sighed, as if he needed to calm himself. " You need to stand up for yourself. Next time just refuse to go; okay ? Choi HaSeul you're immensely pretty. "

I put my bag on my lap, not used to wearing such revealing outfit. I cleared my throat and took a sip of the glass of water in front of me. " Coming from a guy that didn't see a woman for a while I'm really honored. I bet that with those looks, you wouldn't even give me a glance if we didn't met here. "

YongGuk looked a bit taken a back as I said this. Did I vex him ? However, he smircked at me. " It's true it's been a while. But I can recognize a beauty when I see one. "

A beauty, me ? Well, my cheeks were burning at this point …  He tapped on my phone, catching back my attention. " Don't meet up with this friend. She didn't even defend you. "

I nodded obedient and we stayed in that awkward silence. Should I thank him for the compliment ? Or not ?   YongGuk pushed the book to my side, understanding it was time to change subject. " It was a fun book. I love horror book. "

" Really ? Would you like to read more of that style ? "

He nodded, our conversation had somehow became smoother. As I got a call, I excused myself. "The book of month ? I've told you guys to send me your reviews you worked on. Gosh. "

I ended the call worked up about my colleagues, unable to do their work alone. I sighed, trying to keep calm and YongGuk looked at me, almost amused. " You are a real sheep am I wrong ? "

"Huh ? " I blinked, confused. He explained himself. " You didn't even told her to do her work properly, you jjust got annoyed as if you knew you'd do the work anyways." He talked with a quiet voice. " I guess your parents protected you a bit too much when you were a child. "

I softly laughed at that last sentence. My parents overprotecting me ? Gosh, no that wasn't happening. I rolled my eyes and shook my head with a smile. YongGuk got surprised of my reaction, not expecting such reaction from me. " You never talk about them. "

" I don't like to." I simply said to him, fidgeting the ring I got from my mom. He nodded understanding. I sighed. " You have to tell me something about you. You know too much about me while I don't know you enough. "

" Like what ? My ty meals here ? My uncomfortable bunk bed ? " He said, surprised.

I took time to think about what I wanted to hear. I rested my hands on the table while I voiced it out. " Of your life before you got here. Just a little one. "

The guy looked annoyed I asked him that and stayed silent for a while. I could see how painful it was for him, yet I was viciously curious. Just a little fact. Nothing much. 

" I like animals a lot. Before, I used to have a cat. He was really adorable. His name was Pada because his eyes were blue like the sea. He liked to sleep on my pillow at night and wake me up on the morning. Sometimes, I dream of being wake up by him. " He finally said.

" Oh, that's cute. I love cats too. Want to see my cat ? "

He eagerly nodded and I played some videos of the cats that came to eat at home from time to time. He looked delighted. " They are cute.It's been a while I've looked at cats videos. Phones are forbidden here so I kind of miss being able to scroll down on SNS. "

I nodded, it made sense. I used my phone a lot and even if I could stay hours without reaching for it, it was very reassuring to know it was there, just ready to use if I wanted or needed to. 

I stood up to take some water and walked very slowly to the water refill. I knew my dress was short and that any wrong movement could cause it to be roll up on my tighs. As I came back, YongGuk was also standing up.

" I'm taller than you. " He proudly said getting closer to me and comparing our heights with his hand above my head.  I rolled my eyes.

" Of approximately ... 3 centimers ? Whaouh I'm so envious of your height. " 

He laughed sweetly and dropped his hand. I handed him a glass of water and drunk mine really slowly. We went back to the table and he smiled to me. " I'd like to thank you for coming twice last week. "

"Maybe not every week, but I'll try to do that as much I can. I do'nt live very far, with the bus ride it's very quick. "

YongGuk nodded, a bit touched by my words. " I didn't know we were neighborgs."

I laughed. " I just have to take the bus for ten fifteen minutes. You know the Incheon port ? "

He shook his head. " The port ? " I tried to find some place he knew around Incheon and stopped myself. " Wait ... You're not even  from Incheon ? "

YongGuk stiffened all of sudden and I saw how much it costed him to answer instead of changing subject or telling me to stop. " No. I've lived in Seoul  all my life. I never come to Incheon before getting sentenced to that jail."

The guy had no idea where we were in definitive. I softly nodded, a bit shocked. I would have hate not knowing where I am exactly, the facilities and other stuffs. I tried to smile, seeing how he hated to talk about things that reminded him he was locked up. " Want me to show you pictures ? "

He softly smiled. " Of course. "

As I scrolled my phone, he came to put his chair closer to mine and I explained to him the various facilities of In

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter