Starting where it ended

"Just When I Thought"

 

"OUCH!" 

 

Jaebum's voice echoed in the kitchen after Jinyoung just threw a book on his head.

"What was that for?!" Jaebum hissed while scratching the part which was probably injured after his bestfriend's assault.

Jinyoung just sat on a chair across Jaebum and crossed his arms.

"Oh, so you decided to play the victim again?"

"What? I really am!" Jaebum complained. "And that hurt, if you're not aware."

"And I'm pissed. If you're still unaware." Jinyoung said emphasizing on every word. "Why'd you give him my number?"

"Give what who?" Youngjae asked while rubbing the side of his boyfriend's head.

"Mark." Jinyoung answered while glaring at Jaebum. "That boyfriend of yours gave my number to Mark without my permission."

Jaebum ignored him and continued complaining to Youngjae about his injury.

Jinyoung could only roll his eyes. "Oh, Youngjae. You don't need to worry since your boyfriend's head is only as damaged as it already is."

Jaebum almost stood up while jutting his chin forward when Youngjae pulled him down. "Hey, sit down."

As expected, he can't win over Youngjae so Jaebum just shut his mouth up.

 

 

"So, you guys will talk?" Jaebum asked while drinking his favorite strawberry milk.

Jinyoung sipped on his coffee. "Yeah. Since I'm free, I guess, I can agree to his invitation. We'll meet maybe later in the afternoon."

Even without looking, he knows what kind of look his bestfriend is giving him right now.

 

"You know, I watched this kind of sh*t already. Two ex lovers, meeting again. It starts with reconciliation and then, reconnection and we all know very well, what happens next."

Jinyoung, despite his burning cheeks maintained his composure. "And you know very well that I still have a lot of books, Jaebum-ah." 

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

Youngjae is scolding Jaebum. 

Jinyoung excused himself after the breakfast because he has some emails to attend to.

 

"He's your bestfriend, right? You, above anyone else should understand him."

 

Youngjae said in all seriousness but Jaebum just shrugged. "Yes I am. And yes I do, babe."

"Then why do you keep on doing the things which he exactly asked you not to do?"

Jaebum smirked. "Oh babe, you really are oblivious when it comes to love. No wonder you gave me a hard time confessing back in college."

Youngjae pouted as he silently agreed to that. To the making it hard to confess part.

 

"My bestfriend just needs a little push. And that's all I'm giving him." The older continued. "I've been with him the entire time when things crumbled down before him. I don't ever want to see him in that state again."

Youngjae stared at his boyfriend.

Hearing him saying these words makes him fall all over again. Jaebum may be perceived by others as a cold person, but those who really know him, knows that he has a big heart.

 

"And besides, he's being such a denial queen. He keeps saying no, but his red cheeks are saying otherwise. Those two. They're really perfect for each other." 

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

"Appa, how do you read this?" Jio asked, pointing at a word in the book that he's reading.

 

Jinyoung just finished his work for the day so now, he's teaching his son how to read.

Jio is really improving in a fast pace. Maybe in a year, he could send his son to school.

 

They were havin fun reading a story about the tortoise and the hare when Jinyoung's phone buzzed. He reached for it to check.

 

It's a text from Mark. He already agreed to his invitation. They decided to meet at a coffee shop. 

 

Mark: Jinyoung, I'm on my way now. But no need to hurry. I'm just really early. See you there! :)

 

And Jinyoung's heart might or might not have started to thump. But, he doesn't need to tell anyone about it.

 

"Uhm, baby." He called on Jio who's still focused on reading. "I just need to go somewhere. I'll leave you with Uncle Jaebum and Uncle Youngjae. Okay?"

"To where, appa?" the kid is scrunching up his nose and Jinyoung finds it adorably cute. "I want to go, too."

How will he say this? Jio can't come. He and Mark has some serious talk to do.

"Baby, I'm sorry but you can't come with me."

"Why not?" and now he's pouting.

Jinyoung just sighed. "I'm meeting your dad. We have something important to talk about."

There he said it.

"Oh okay. I won't go with you anymore, appa." Jio is surprisingly fine with it. "You and dad needs to have some time together."

Jinyoung eyed his son curiously. But the boy just smiled at him warmly.

 

"Dad really missed you, appa. I should give this one to him."

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

Jinyoung looked both ways before crossing the street. He already saw Mark seated on a table near the window before even entering the coffee shop.

 

"Hey." he greeted the older as he sat across the table. 

Funny. He thought. Here they are, in the exact same table, in the exact same coffee shop. They're back to where they ended things between them five years ago.

Mark gave him the cup of coffee that he was holding a while ago. "Please don't say that I'm early today, because then it'll be exactly like how it was five years ago."

He just laughed as he accepted the coffee.

 

"So it's been five years." Mark blew out a long sigh. "How have you been, Jinyoung?"

"Me? Well..." Jinyoung sat back and tried to make himself comfortable. "After I flew to Japan, the first thing I did was to find a nice place to stay."

 

Jinyoung's mind went back to that time. Where he was looking for a place to crash in. He found this small apartelle. A room with two bunkbeds. It was not cozy at all but he had to stay there until he got himself a decent job.

"I applied as an editor. But I wasn't immediately hired as one." he narrated. "I started as an assistant, basically to everyone. Kind of like the errand boy. I'm in charge of the copier machine."

"I can't imagine you working on a copier." 

"Oh my gosh, I almost broke that thing, a couple of times." and the two of them laughed. "But after six months of hard work, I was promoted as an editor, finally. Only then did I afford to rent my own apartment unit. It's where I raised Jio. And it's a very decent one."

Jinyoung continued. "And after two years, I became a chief editor."

Mark is looking at him. A sense of pride gleaming in his eyes. "Wow. That's quite a life you lived there."

Jinyoung could only smile back. "Yeah. But, enough of me. How have you been, Mark?"

 

It's the question he has been longing to ask the latter. This talk gave him the chance to ask it.

 

"Well, after I accepted the invitation of FC Seoul about having me in the team, I moved to Incheon. I started the intense training. After six months, we had our first league. We won. And that victory was followed by many victories."

Seeing Mark's smile with utmost content and happiness is enough to warm Jinyoung's heart.

It's enough to make up to all those nights when he cried himself to sleep, repeatedly telling himself that he's gonna be fine and that he's doing the right thing.

Seeing how successful and fulfilled Mark is, somehow assured Jinyoung that he did the right thing. He made the right decision. 

It might have hurt him, or the both of them. But it allowed them to grow. To bloom into the kind of person who they want to be.

 

He's glad that his sacrifice didn't go to waste.

 

Their conversation is going well. They were enjoying catching up on one another. Jinyoung guessed, it's safe to say that... yes. They both missed each other.

It was all going well, if not for that one question.

 

Why does Mark need to swerve to that topic once again?

 

"Why did you choose to leave then, Jinyoung?" 

Mark's voice was quiet but Jinyoung almost heard it laced with pain.

 

"If you're already carrying Jio then, why did you still choose to leave?"

He wasn't able to give any kind of answer. 

"Was it because I wasn't being a good boyfriend? Because I became irresponsible of our relationship? Did you feel that I was taking you for granted-"

"No." Jinyoung stopped him. All those things he was saying. Those weren't true.

Jinyoung heavily sighed and swallowed before continuing.

 

"I was just.......... I was afraid."

Jinyoung kept his head down, not wanting to see the older's eyes.

 

"Afraid? Afraid of what?" 

Another sigh, before Jinyoung matched Mark's stare. "I was afraid of your reaction. When you finally know about my condition. I don't know how you'll react."

"Of course I'll be happy!" Mark answered in a heartbeat and reached for his hands. "Jinyoung, there's nothing to be afraid of. If you told me you're carrying my child, you could've made me the happiest man alive."

Jinyoung bit his lips which are starting to quiver.

"I'm sorry. I'm really sorry Mark." It was all he could say.

 

The two of them stayed silent for a few minutes. 

 

Jinyoung is playing with his fingers, while his hands are still enclosed by Mark's.

It gives him a warm feeling.

Warmer than the coffee he has been drinking.

 

"I'm sorry too."

It was a while after when Mark spoke, drawing Jinyoung's attention back.

 

"Going back to how we were five years ago, I realized I had my lapses and shortcomings." Mark's the one doing the talking now. Jinyoung is just staring at him. 

"You've done nothing but love me. Despite of my flaws and mistakes, you accepted me. You were very patient and understanding. Even when I tend to take you for granted and focused on chasing my dream, mainly. You stayed. For six years, you stayed with me." Mark looked down. "I should've expected that there will come a time when you'll get tired."

"No. No, it's nothing like that." 

But Mark shook his head. "No, I understand Jinyoung. But now, I promise I am a much better person now. I can be Jio's dad now. If you'll give me the chance."

 

Jinyoung stared at Mark's eyes which were filled with hope. Those eyes, were not different from what he saw five years ago, when he asked him to stay.

 

"Well, I can't take Jio back to Japan and away from you." Jinyoung pouted. "That kid won't even listen to me. He'll hate me forever if I take him away from his dad."

With that being said, Mark smiled happily. Jinyoung would be lying if he says he didn't miss seeing that.

"Thank you, Jinyoung." He squeezed his hand. "Thank you."

 

They spent the next thirty minutes on deciding about Jio's schedule. Mark is free on taking Jio out every weekdays but he needs to bring Jio home. But Jinyoung allowed Mark to spend the weekends with Jio, and that even includes Jio sleeping in his house.

Mark is happy with the arrangement. And Jinyoung is happy that Mark is happy.

 

"Uh, Jinyoung?" Mark asked. "I have another thing to ask for."

"What is it?"

Mark exhaled before talking. 

"You see, mom and dad recently knew about Jio and they were thrilled to find out that they have a grandson."

Jinyoung nodded, making him continue.

"And they wanted to meet him real soon. So, I was wondering, maybe one of these days. . . . . we could fly to L.A.? All three of us?"

 

And that left Jinyoung speechless.

 

◾◾◾◾◾◾◾

 

Barabwajweo geurae geureoke 🎶🎶🎶

 

I AM FINALLY BAAAACCKK!!!! Did you guys miss me? ;)

 

Now this chapter is longer than the previous one since y'all complaining about it being short. But I get you guys :)

 

Let's not get started about my MarkJin heart while writing this chapter. I hope you felt it too (and suffered 😈) while reading. BWAHAHAHAHA.

 

Some of you guys are on twitter too, right? Gosh you're everywhere HAHA. But, really, thanks for sending all the love even through Twitter. 

You guys are the sweetest. Do I even deserve you? :(

 

Anyway, my original plan is to give a DOUBLE UPDATE. Here's the first one.

Let's all hope I could finish Chapter 9 before the night ends. *fingers crossed*

 

Imma eat dinner and type again. So, peace out!

 

 

<3 nicapark