One Chance

"Just When I Thought"

 

Mark   could only heave an almost breathless sigh as he watched the child, (yes, the one who called him 'dad' earlier) moving around the living room.

"Hey, sit down first, kid." He called out while motioning his hands to make him do as he say.

But the little boy, Jio as what the child told him (and he said he's four years old), just pouted and continued to move around. He could only sigh again. To be honest, he's never patient with kids.

 

"Hey, I said sit down." Mark said more firmly which made the kid stop and look at him.

"But I am hungry, dad." 

Again with that word, dad. Is this child really his? Or is this some kind of scam just because of his sudden popularity?

 

He shut his eyes for a brief second before walking towards the kitchen. The kid says he's hungry. He's not that cruel to let someone starve.

He called on the kid who is still roaming around the living room. Is this how he's like when he's hungry? Mark thought.

When he came, Mark opened the refrigerator. "Get anything that you want." and the kid happily complied.

 

He sat by the counter as the little boy put the foods that he picked, one by one on top of the counter. He found it cute when the smaller struggled to sit on the high stool. He helped him up as he realized that his house is not exactly the child-friendly type.

 

"Your house is so big." the boy said while munching on his food. "And you have lots of yummy food. Are you rich?"

And Mark almost laughed. "Well... you can say that."

The kid just continued eating. "If appa sees this, he will really be happy for you." 

Appa? He wants to ask about it but the boy suddenly beamed and moved his hands excitedly. 

"I'll tell appa that we can live here. Together." His eyes were shining. "You'll like that, right dad?"

Mark doesn't want to let his hopes down but something just doesn't add up.

 He sighed. "Listen, kid-"

"I'm Jio."

Another sigh. "Okay. Listen, Jio." He looked at the kid  intently. "You must've mistaken me for someone else. I'm sorry but, I'm afraid I am not your dad."

The boy just frowned at him. "Yes, you are." then got something from his small backpack. "And uncle told me to give you this."

He is handing him a paper folded neatly. Mark hesitated but ended up taking what seems to be a letter. 

 

Mark...

it read. 

And he isn't sure but something about the handwriting made his heart race a million times faster.

He opened the letter and read its message.

 

          It's been a while since our last meeting. Our last talk. I don't know how to start but maybe a "sorry" will do it. I'm sorry if we ended things like that. I didn't mean to hurt you, but to be fair I was hurt too. I've failed to tell you something. And it concerns your son, our son - Jio. I sent him there to finally give you a chance to meet him and to be with him even for a short time. I'm sorry if I can't introduce him personally but he's a good son. I hope you'll get to know that. Again, I'm sorry Mark.

                                                                                 Sincerely,

                                                                                  Jinyoung

 

And as Mark finished reading, he starts to recall what happened five years ago. 

That day when he last saw Jinyoung. His only love.

 

 

He smiled as Jinyoung sat across the table he was seated upon. "You're early today." the younger said as he took the cup of coffee Mark bought for him.

"I'm sorry if I made you wait." Jinyoung said, smiling his usual smile which Mark loves to see. 

"No, it's okay. I was just excited to see you." he replied.

Jinyoung. The man he loves so much. 

He could still remember everything. From the first time they met. To that first date in Han river, their first kiss in the streets of Cheongdamdong when he said 'I love you' back. And that afternoon after his graduation, when Mark asked the younger to move in with him.

It's just a small but cozy apartment. There's a veranda overlooking the neighborhood. Jinyoung always demand to have their breakfast there.

The bed is not really spacious. But Mark loves it since it gives them both an excuse to cuddle together. Jinyoung loves cuddling. And he loves that about Jinyoung.

The best part is waking up in the morning, with the love of his life wrapped tightly inside his arms. It's the best and the warmest feeling. He'll never choose anything over that.

 

"So, this Friday?" Jinyoung's question snapped him back to reality.

"Yes. The team's manager has arranged everything."

The younger just nodded before looking outside the window where the vast sky is slowly caving in to the shades of orange and red, marking the sunset.

"It's getting dark." Jinyoung said turning to him. "I need to go now." He grabbed his bags under the table. "I left the key under the mat-"

Mark's hand stopped the latter from standing up. Jinyoung is smiling, but after six years of being together, Mark knows better.

"You could always go with me." he exhaled. "I'll just need to arrange some papers and-"

But Jinyoung didn't let him finish. He squeezed his hands while shaking his head lightly.

Tears were forming is Mark's eyes as he held Jinyoung's hand. Afraid that anytime, he'll let go. 

"What happened to us?" He could only ask. He then felt Jinyoung's hand brushing away his tears on his cheeks. But it doesn't relieve him from the pain he's feeling.

 

"We grew apart."

And Mark could do nothing as he just watched his love walking away from him.

 

 

"Dad?" 

He looked at the kid, at his son, with wide eyes. He can't believe it. He has a son. And Jinyoung hid it from him.

"Are you okay, dad?"

Emotions are overflowing inside his heart, as he struggled to nod as an answer.

"B-but... but where is Jin- I mean, where is your appa?" he just needs to ask.

His son shrugged. "He's in Japan. He couldn't come so he asked uncle to look after me." 

Uncle? Is he getting the correct idea?

"Uhm, who is uncle, Jio?" 

His son looked at him and answered mindlessly. "Uncle Jaebum."

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

Mark called Jaebum instantly after. He needs to talk to that man.

"Well, how is Jio?" Jaebum asked over the phone.

"He's eating." Mark answered sternly. He's controlling his temper. He'll shout at him when he gets here.

"Jinyoung is really gonna kill me if he found out that I almost starved his son."

Mark hissed upon the mention of Jinyoung's name. It just reminds him how he was made a fool the entire time.

"Just get your a*s here Jaebum. We have a lot to talk about." He hanged up before the latter can even answer.

 

 

"So you knew all along where Jinyoung was, right after we broke up?"

Mark said the moment he managed to drag Jaebum in the veranda. He has his arms crossed. He is mad alright.

"Not right after." Jaebum answered while sipping on the strawberry milk which he asked from Jio. Such a kid sometimes.

"Oh really?" He sarcastically said.

The other nodded. "He decided to call me when he was near his due date. So I flew to Japan to meet him. Only then did I learn that he's pregnant with your child. Since then, we didn't lose communication." Mark just continued eyeing him. "No one apart me knows. Not even Youngjae." 

"Why did you hide it from me for so long? You knew what I went through after..." Mark just sighed. "It's just so unfair, Jaebum."

Jaebum just looked down. "It was his decision. Not mine. I'm sorry."

Now there's nothing he could do, is there? He just raised his eyebrows after realizing something.

"So, he's the one you've always been talking to on the phone, as what Youngjae complained about?"

"That would be a yes." Jaebum responded. "Are you still mad at me?"

Mark blew out a long sigh before curling his lips up. "Well at least I can be rest assured that you're not cheating on Youngjae."

"You know, I won't ever do that." 

 

The two of them headed inside only to see Jio playing with the Pikachu plushie that he has on the couch.

He seems so happy that Mark could only smile too. Jaebum nudged his shoulder. "Something he got after you." He pointed out and the older could just agree.

Just then Jaebum's phone rang. "It's Jinyoung." He said.

He felt something creeping inside his heart as he watched Jaebum talking to Jinyoung over the phone. He knew those two were best of friends. Even before they met, Jaebum was already with Jinyoung. But he still feels it. That same feeling he gets everytime Jinyoung seems to choose Jaebum over him.

 

"He's asking about Jio." Jaebum said while covering his phone. He put the call on hold. "Jio!" he called on his son. "It's your appa. Come!"

Jio excitedly went to them, jumping up and down. Jaebum knelt to become face to face with his son.

"Now, behave okay? You know what we talked about, right?" Jio nodded and Jaebum patted his head before handing him the phone.

Soon after, Jio is squealing with joy. The kid surely loves his appa.

 

"C-can I..." Mark hesitated to ask. "Can I talk to him? To Jinyoung?"

Jaebum seemed to be caught off guard by his question but was able to answer. "Uhm... about that. Well, he's still not ready." and he gave him a sad smile.

Mark understands. He should understand.

After talking to his appa, Jio returned the phone to Jaebum as the latter finished the call.

 

"Jinyoung was also wondering if it is okay with you to take care of Jio for the time being." Jaebum started as they sat on the couch. Jio is still playing with his Pikachu.

Mark didn't answer just yet so Jaebum continued.

"It's only for a week, Mark. Then Jio will fly back to Japan."

"You mean Jinyoung will not go back here in Seoul?" he asked.

"I'm afraid not." Mark didn't say anything. "Jinyoung is preoccupied with his work as an editor. So..."

There was silence. 

Mark isn't talking and Jaebum doesn't know what's going on in his head. To be quite frank, Mark doesn't know what to think of either.

 

"If this is too much for you, I guess I can bring Jio to our place. He's good as family to me after all." Jaebum said as if testing the waters.

Mark looked like a lost puppy. He doesn't know what to do.

"I don't think I am ready for this, Jaebum. This is all so sudden."

Mark has a lot going on. Not to mention his soccer career is just taking off. How can he possibly handle another responsibility? And as he said, he is never patient with kids!

 

"Nah, it's fine. I should've expected you to say that. And I understand." Jaebum stood up and called on Jio. "Let's go, kid."

His son looked at them confused. "To where, uncle? I thought I'll be staying with dad?" 

Jaebum shrugged. 

"Your dad is a busy man. You don't want to bother him, do you?" Jio just pouted. "Let's go. I'll take you to my place. I'll introduce you to uncle Youngjae. He's got a lot of pokemon plushies. And we'll play with you."

Mark just watched as Jaebum grabbed Jio's things and made the child wear his small backpack.

 

"Come on boy, say goodbye to your dad." Jaebum said as he held Jio's small hand.

But Jio just looked at him.

With that same look Jinyoung has, five years ago before he left. Something pushed Mark. Before he knew it, he is already stopping the two from leaving.

Something he wished he did when Jinyoung turned his back on him that day.

Well he's doing it now.

 

"I'll do it." He said with complete certitude. "I will take care of my son."

Jaebum narrowed his eyes on him. "Are you sure? What if you mess up?"

"I'll try not to mess up. I will be a father to him." His voice wavered. "Since it's a chance Jinyoung failed to give me."

 

With that, Jaebum smiled like he just won something. He handed Jio's bag to him and tapped his back. 

"Alright, Tuan. You now have your chance." 

 

Right then, Mark felt a pair of tiny arms wrapping around his thighs. 

"Thank you, dad!"

 

And Mark could swear, he felt that familiar warmth in his heart again.

 

◾◾◾◾◾◾◾

 

Yoooohooooo! 

I am sooo happy to finish another chapter. *dances to Momoland's Boom Boom* :D

 

GUYSSSS!!! I am so overwhelmed with the amount of love you gave in the previous chapter! And the comments! Oh gosh, your feedbacks give me strength and inspiration :)

 

For this chapter too, please send some love. I'll await your comments! And if you like the story, don't forget to upvote! :) 

 

Like what JackBam said, You the best, guys! You rock my world! :* :* :*

 

See you next chapter!

 

<3 nicapark