Ending the long wait

"Just When I Thought"

 

"We're screwed."

 

Mark, who is still confused from his conversation with Jinyoung is now even more confused seeing the horror in Jaebum's eyes.

"Screwed?" he asked. "What do you mean, screwed?" Jaebum isn't answering and started to do something on his phone. He watched as the younger attempted to call someone, maybe Jinyoung, and paced back and forth.

"Jaebum-ah, you need to talk. Why are we screwed?" he asked again. "And why is Jinyoung suddenly flying back to Korea? I thought you said he's busy with work?"

Jaebum finally stopped moving and faced him.

 

"You might not see Jio again."

He almost froze at what Jaebum said. "W-what-"

"If Jinyoung does get back here in Korea, then it might mean that your time with your son is finally up." Jaebum sighed. "And the worst thing that could happen is, he may take Jio away and never let you be with him again."

 

Mark just stood there, digesting everything that Jaebum has said. He doesn't know what to say.

 

"I'm sorry Mark, but I messed up." he turned at Jaebum who is looking at him apologetically. "I just wanted Jio to have what he wished for his birthday and that is to meet you. And as your friend also, I want to ease a bit of your misery after losing Jinyoung."

Jaebum continued.

 

"I might've failed on telling you the truth about Jinyoung and your son but, I decided to make it up to you by allowing you to spend a little time with Jio." Jaebum kept his head down. "Although Jinyoung disagreed with that idea, I still pushed through it when I got the chance."

 

Mark pursed his dry lips as he tried to talk. "What will we do now?"

 

Jaebum scratched the back of his head as he sighed. 

 

"I'm gonna need to take Jio to our house first. When Jinyoung gets back, he might be more outraged if Jio will still be staying here."

 

Mark thought for a second before arriving at a decision.

"Let me have one last day with my son." 

 

Jaebum shook his head slightly. "I'm afraid that's a bad idea. For all we know, Jinyoung is already booking a flight now back to Korea."

Mark knows that. But he's just desperate. 

 

"Just one last day with him, Jaebum. I promise to bring Jio back before Jinyoung arrives."

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

Mark is struggling but he tries to balance himself while also holding Jio's small hand.

He forgot that him and skating does not get along well. 

 

They're in Yeoui Ice Park.

Jaebum agreed with his request. Last night, he slept while enveloping his son inside his arms.

The morning after, he asked Jio what he wants to do and where he wants to go.

 

"I want to go skating!"

 

That's why he ended up here, almost looking like a complete fool, trying his best to survive in the ice rink.

He is faking confidence claiming that he's good at ice skating.

 

A few wobbly rounds and Jio let go of Mark's hand. "It's okay, dad. I know you're not good in skating."

Mark frowned. "Is it that obvious?"

Jio laughed which warmed Mark's heart and left him wondering if he'll still be able to hear it after today.

 

"Appa told me. He said that he's the one who taught you how to skate." Jio then scrunched his nose, making a displeased face. "If appa sees you now, he'll be disappointed that you didn't learn anything!"

 

This kid, really. Is he really four years old only?

"Hey! Your appa only taught me for a short time. I should've been a master of the ice rink now, if only...." Mark stopped for a moment. "...if only... he didn't leave."

Jio just shrugged and attempted to make a turn. Mark won't be surprised if in a few years, his son will be an expert in skating.

"Don't worry dad, as soon as appa goes here, he'll be able to teach the both of us!"

And that reminded Mark that yes, Jinyoung is coming back.

 

He's torn between liking or hating that fact.

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

The father and son duo went to eat at Burger King again. Mark's diet is completely ruined but he doesn't care as long as he makes his son happy.

 

They were enjoying their time munching on their burgers when Mark remembered something that he wanted to ask Jio.

 

"How did you know that I am your dad?" He asked.

Jio sipped on his cola before talking.

"Appa told me." the boy casually said. "He talks about you a lot."

"But how did you recognize me when we first met?"

"Appa gave this, for me to keep." Jio handed him a picture. It's noticeably old but it still looks neat. 

It's a picture taken back when they were still in college. During their fourth anniversary. Mark has his arms around Jinyoung, pinching his cheeks to make him smile, while the younger tries to cover his mouth.

They look so happy in that picture.

It's because they were.

 

"Appa told me that you are kind and loving. That you love him. And that you will love me too. He always say that."

And those words seem to give him a little hope.

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

Mark is restless.

He tossed over his bed countless times. He can't bring himself to sleep.

Especially when he remembers how Jio cried when he left the kid in the hands of Jaebum and Youngjae.

 

"I'll try to talk to Jinyoung and get him back to his senses, Mark. Don't give up just yet."

Mark recalled Jaebum's words.

 

"Things will turn out well, Mark hyung. We'll help you to be with your son. We, promise."

Youngjae also said to lift his spirits up too.

 

He keeps on talking to himself, saying that Jinyoung can't possibly be so cruel.

Maybe he's just shocked about Jaebum's hidden agenda but, maybe, just maybe, he'll realize that Mark has a right as Jio's father too.

He still believes that Jinyoung is still the same Jinyoung whom he loved.

 

Whom he still loves. 

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

Mark woke up, when his phone started ringing.

When he saw Jaebum's name on the screen, he answered immediately.

 

"Hey you sleepyhead. You only have an hour to get your pretty a*s here. Your son is waiting for you to pick him up. Hurry and don't keep him waiting."

He wasn't able to react but he's smiling from ear to ear.

"A-are you... this isn't a joke, right?"

He heard his grunt. "Do I sound like I'm ing kidding right now, huh Tuan?"

He heard an indistinct sound, then a low ouch. "Language, please." He heard Youngjae in the background.

"Aish... again, Mark. An hour."

Mark stood up from bed and headed to get his towel, when Jaebum spoke again.

 

"And Mark?"

"Hmm?" he said.

"Just a word of advice, try to look your best. Because... after five years, you'll finally see him again."

 

And that only heightened Mark's nervousness and made him more anxious.

If he still isn't.

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

"Dad!"

His son squealed and hugged him.

 

Mark is beyond happy seeing his son again. Even if it's only been yesterday.

"Hey, sport."

Jio jumped up and down. "Let's go inside!"

Mark felt his son tugging him along inside the house. His heart started to pick up its pace as they went nearer to the kitchen.

He wants to ask Jio about his appa but before he could open his mouth, he was greeted by the answer to his question.

 

In the dining table, seated is Jinyoung. With his raven hair and perfect face. He still looks as beautiful as ever.

He saw how his eyes gone huge, and his lips parted.

 

"Jinyoung." was the only thing he was able to say.

 

He's finally here. In front of him.

After five long years, finally he's here.

Seeing Jinyoung only made him realize how he long waited for this and how much he missed him.

 

His Jinyoung.

His love.

 

◾◾◾◾◾◾◾

 

And.......... I'm back! :)

 

How were you guys? I really enjoyed reading your comments. Gosh. So much love for this story. Thank you! :*

 

That is why..... as a reward. . . . . . . . . . . . 

 

*drumrolls*

 

I'm gonna do a double update today! (or tonight) whatever. Just, before I go to sleep, I'll be leaving two chapters posted. :)

I love you guys so much. Please continue on supporting. Don't forget to comment! And upvote if you still haven't! It would mean A LOT! :*

 

TOODLES for now!!! But see you real soon. :)

 

<3 nicapark