(Special Chapter) "Keeping You"

"Just When I Thought"

 

"Your mom strictly said that you most certainly cannot fail another test in Math. Or else she'll go and turn all your snoop dog shirts into dish rugs."

 

Jinyoung reminded his bestfriend while they were walking along the halls of the campus and towards the field. It's lunch time. And they are two hours away from their Math class a.k.a. Jaebum's funeral.

The two of them walked across the wide field. Jinyoung saw some of their classmates and said hi.

 

"I know. You don't have to remind me. You really enjoy seeing me all tensed up and anxious." The older whined.

"It's not that. I'm just really concerned!" He said in all honesty but his laugh oughts to tell Jaebum otherwise.

"I really can't fck up this time!" 

"Language!"

Jaebum just continued to grunt so Jinyoung put his arm around his bestfriend's shoulder. "Don't worry. As always, I'll be here to help you. After you treat me to lunch, we'll spend an hour reviewing. You got this, Jaebum!"

"Tss. You don't do anything for free."

The older kept on complaining about how hard Math is while Jinyoung is gazing over the field. His attention was drawn to a certain blonde haired guy, running around, kicking a soccer ball. He seems to be in his own world, not minding anyone around him. He looks so free and happy by just playing. 

Jinyoung is so absorbed in watching the blonde guy that he forgot he was with Jaebum. Until the other spoke.

"Yah Park Jinyoung!" The younger turned to face him. "Are you even listening?"

He blinked twice. "Oh. Yeah of course." He lied. "Uhm, let's go. I'm starving."

With one last glance, he dragged Jaebum to the cafeteria.

 

Jinyoung never thought that, that one time of watching the blonde playing soccer will be followed by a couple more times. He spent most of his free time gawking over the blonde. 

Jinyoung likes to think that Jaebum doesn't know about this little crush of his but, whenever he comes home late (after watching mr. Blonde guy), Jaebum is smiling at him knowingly. And when one time, Jaebum went home ahead of him and told him "You can stay an extra hour. Mom and dad are gonna stay at my grandpa's.", that's when Jinyoung became sure that Jaebum knows about mr. Blonde guy.

 

"Here!" 

Jinyoung heard the blonde shouted while running around the field. He's playing with two other guys, and they all don't look like Korean. 

Since Jinyoung is a bit nearer to him, to them, he noticed their facial features. Their eyes are not of a korean. Their complexions too. And they heard them talking in fluent English. Yeah, they're totally not korean.

 

Jinyoung was watching the blonde about to kick the ball, but then he missed. It was all so sudden. Next thing he knew, the ball hit him in the head. 

Then came the rushing blonde.

"Oh my god, are you okay?" the blonde's voice is full of concern.

"Is he okay? I'm really sorry!" The skinny guy said in english before struggling to repeat it in korean.

"Are you okay?" The blonde is now asking in korean.

"Yeah. I'm okay. I think." Jinyoung said while checking his head. It didn't hurt much. He was just surprised, that's all.

"Do you want me to take you to the clinic?" 

Jinyoung shook his head. It's already past 5pm. The school nurse probably has gone home.

"I'm fine. It's really okay."

The blonde stared at him, still very concerned and Jinyoung swore he almost felt his heart thump.

"Are you sure? You seemed hurt."

He's not sure how he managed to muster all the courage that he has, but Jinyoung felt a little more braver. This is his crush, finally talking to him. Why let this opportunity pass?

"Actually, I think eating an ice cream will make me feel better."

The guy wearing a cap nudged the skinny guy. "Bam, you go treat him to an ice cream!"

"No." Jinyoung was quick to talk. "I actually want him to treat me." He said pointing to the blonde.

"What? Why me? I wasn't the one who kicked the ball and hit you."

Jinyoung just smiled slyly. "Yeah sure..but if you didn't miss on kicking the ball, it wouldn't have hit me, correct?"

The blonde was clearly taken aback by what he just said, but Jinyoung is detemined. He now has his chance. He should make it count.

He lend out his hand, praying to God it wouldn't tremble. "I'm Jinyoung."

It took a few seconds before a smile crossed the blonde's face and Jinyoung decided that it is the most beautiful smile he has ever seen.

Taking his hand, the blonde finally spoke.

 

"I'm Mark."

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

Jinyoung just finished his work for the day. He turned his laptop off and kept it inside his satchel bag. He is still working as a chief editor, but now their publishing house has a branch in Korea. That's where he's working now.

Jinyoung felt his phone buzz and he smiled as he read Mark's text message.

 

     'Text me when you're off from work okay? Don't go anywhere.'

 

If this is some other time, he would've found this text weird, for some reason. Especially that don't go anywhere part.

But now, adding everything up, it only validates his assumptions.

 

Today is Jinyoung's 30th birthday. Gosh, he feels old. And everyone is acting weird.

When he woke up, Mark is not on their bed. It seemed like his boyfriend has already gone to work. It wad odd, since they always go to work together, with Mark dropping him off. But this morning, Jackson was the one who fetched him.

Another thing which he found weird, no one has greeted him happy birthday yet. Not Mark, not Jackson, not Bambam, not Youngjae, not Yugyeom and not even Jaebum. Come on, the others might forget it. But his bestfriend?

And the weirdest thing? Jio was very excited for his birthday just a day ago. But today, his son hasn't even greeted him yet. Jinyoung could only laugh, he's a bit excited about how this day would end.

He replied, okay. I'm done for today. And then waited for Mark.

Thirty minutes later, Mark called and asked him where he is so he said he's in the office.

"I thought you said you're done for the day's work?"

He smirked. "I thought you said to not go anywhere?" Jinyoung knows he won.

 

The car ride was extremely quiet. It's nearly awkward to be honest.

Mark is gripping on the wheel too tight. His knuckles are almost turning white.

"Babe?" Jinyoung said reaching for Mark's shoulders. "Are you okay?"

The older just nodded but Jinyoung could still feel his anxiousness. 

 

When they reached a restaurant, Jinyoung was biting his lips to hide his amusement and excitement at the same time. 

"I'll just park the car." 

Jinyoung stood by the entrance, waiting for Mark when a guy who is wearing a mask approched him.

"Follow me, sir."

Jinyoung almost laughed. "Alright. I'll pretend to not know it's you, Jackson."

Not Jackson led him inside the restaurant. There were no other customers. Guess, Mark rented the whole place. 

 

Jinyoung let his eyes wander around. Breathing in the beautiful sight. Mark might've went overboard in decorating this place. All those lightings. All those flowers. It was beautiful.

He saw Jaebum and Youngjae on a small stage. There's also Bambam and Yugyeom, along with his son Jio who were all dressed as waiters.

And then Mark, dressed in a white suit standing beside a small round table. He's holding a bouquet of yellow tulips, Jinyoung's favorite. Mark gave it to him.

"Happy birthday, Jinyoungie."

Jinyoung smiled at how Mark called him. At the back of his mind, he silently finds it funny, how Mark is terrible when it comes to surprises. He sets up a good surprise, but isn't able to hide it well. Just like now.

"You're not surprised, are you?" Mark whispered after letting him sit. He scrunched his nose. "Well that's not new, is it?" Mark just shrugged.

 

The two of them ate the dinner served by Yugyeom and Bambam. In the background, Jaebum and Youngjae are singing love songs. 

Jinyoung has to give it to Mark. Although he expected this, well he didn't expect it to be this grand. It's only his birthday after all.

 

"Jinyoung..." Mark called him after they finish eating and Jackson already cleaned their table.

"Hmm?" he hummed in response.

"You know that I love you, right?" Jinyoung nodded. "And I cannot thank you enough for loving me too, giving me Jio, and taking me back."

Mark reached for his hand and squeezed it gently. "I was thinking about this for quite a long time now. But now I decided..."

 

Just then, Jinyoung heard Jaebum and Youngjae singing a different song.

 

       I told you to wait but i ignore you for a long time

       just wait a little..the day will come someday...

      i know what you want to say

      i know how long you wait

      but i tell you now

 

"Meeting you was not perfect. But it made my life brighter." 

Jinyoung sat up, feeling his blood rushing to his cheeks. He keeps on asking 'what is this?' as he stares back at Mark who is intently looking at him.

"Letting you go was painful. When you left, it's what everyone told me to do, but the pain is unbearable."

 

      You don''t have to cry

      don't cry and lift your face up and laugh..

      I will make you smile

      i will give you happiness, beside you forever

      don't be afraid everything will be alright.

 

"Loving you is not easy. No it's not. But losing you will be the end of me."

Jinyoung fought back against all his tears. He shouldn't cry. This is a beautiful moment, he must not cry.

"Loving you, it's what I did, what I am doing, . . . . . . . . . . and what I'll do for the rest of my life."

 

      thank you for waiting me... my love

      before i tell you sorry but i want to say this..

 

Mark stood up and walked right up to his side, while still holding the younger's hand.

 

"Keeping you was hard. Keeping you from what might hurt you." With so much love in his eyes, Mark gave Jinyoung's hand another squeeze.

"But that's what I want to do. . . . . . what I was born to do." Mark took a deep breath and the next thing Jinyoung knew, he's already kneeling in front of him.

 

"Jinyoung, my love. My only love. . . . . I think we both have waited long enough to get to this point. And now, I kneel before you, gathering all the courage that I have, finally being the man that I hope you deserve. . . . " Jinyoung gasped when Mark opened a small velvet box. And what's inside it made him gasp even more.

 

"M-mark.. Mark....what is this?"

But the older just smiled, and with his eyes sparkling, looked up at him again. Jinyoung never thought he could fall even further.

 

"I want to tell you this, but however i couldn't say. . . . . . . . . .would you marry me?"

Mark asked as he sang. Collective sighs can be heard, a couple of aawwww's and ooohh's all from their supportive friends.

 

Jinyoung is very much aware of the tears that are breaming on the side of his eyes. His feelings were too much to contain.

"Were you..." Jinyoung stuttered. "Were you just singing, or did you just-"

"I just proposed, Jinyoung." Mark said while looking at him incredulously. But there's an amused smile on his face. "I just asked you to marry me, Jinyoung. And I'm still not hearing an answer from you. It's making me a bit nervous."

 

Jinyoung wants to laugh. That's if he isn't nervous too! 

This day has been so much of a roller coaster ride of emotions for him. 

He just expected a birthday surprise, not a proposal! Just when he thought he got it all figured out.

 

"What answer do you want to get, anyway?" he chose to ask.

"A yes would have been nice. It doesn't have to be grand. Just say yes, Jinyoung." Mark's eyes were full of hope. "That's the best thing that you could give me, right now."

Jinyoung tried to fight his smile as he looked back at his bag. "Oh really? Cause I think I have something better."

Confused, Mark waited for him as he got something from his bag.

When he gave it to Mark, his eyes turned from confused, to surprised, to extremely happy.

 

"I...I'm a... I'm a dad?" That's all he could say. "I mean, I'm already a dad but... I'm a dad again... I mean for the second time. I'm a dad again... We're having a baby?"

Jinyoung laughed after hearing all those from Mark. "Yes." He continuously nodded. "Yes on both of your questions."

 

In a heartbeat, Mark is already kissing him and Jinyoung is not the one to complain.

 

"You don't know how much you made me so happy right now. God..." Mark kissed him again. "I love you so much, Jinyoung. I love you so much!"

Jinyoung held the other's cheeks, wiping the tears which the older probably hasn't noticed. "I love you too, Mark." He kissed him once. "I." twice. "Love." thrice. "You."

 

It's not long before the gang started screaming and cheering for the newly engaged couple. 

Jio is happily jumping along with Jackson. "Did you hear that, little guy? You're gonna be a big brother!"

"Yes! I'm excited, uncle Jackson!"

Bambam has his arms crossed beside the two. "I'm gonna make sure that I'm gonna be its favorite uncle this time."

 

Jaebum and Youngjae went up to the both of them. 

"Took you long enough, Tuan." Jaebum tapped Mark's back.

"I'm so happy for you hyung! You'll be married too! Like me!" Youngjae hugged Jinyoung.

 

And as the seven of them, along with Jio, wrapped each other in a group hug, Jinyoung met Mark's eyes.

And yes, they're ready to face a new chapter in their lives.

Together.

 

◾◾◾◾◾◾◾

 

And it's a wrap!!! 

 

It took me five hours to write this special chapter. I hope I ended things right :)

 

I'm a bit sad that the MarkJinJio has to say goodbye now, (sad with not seeing Uncle Beom too) but at least, they had a wonderful journey.

and although, this fic has finally come to an end, at least it means I can start writing another one.

and y'all know what that is. ;)

 

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to read this fanfic, the whole 12 chapters of it. For patiently waiting for my updates even disregarding sleep :D For leaving beautiful comments and inspiring me to write more <3 For messaging me, for encouraging me, for supporting me.

really, thank you for the amount of love you've given me and this fic of mine.

 

this is getting quite long and emotional hahaha. I just really want to thank you guys from the bottom of my heart. 

you guys are the best! :*

 

So this concludes "Just When I Thought" but I hope to see you in my other fics.

 

toodles! 

 

I'm one out!

 

<3 nicapark