What a pleasant surprise!

"Just When I Thought"

 

Mark  just woke up. He's still tired even after a full eight hours of sleep. He walked groggily around his living room while scratching his stomach, then finally dropped himself on the couch.

 

He reached for the newspaper on top of the centertable and replaced it with both of his feet. He comfortably sat back as he read the day's headline.

 

FC Seoul cruise past Japanese Champion

He reads more as he glanced on the photo taken during yesterday's match.

"FC Seoul's American center forward Mark Tuan celebrates his goal during his team's AFC Champions League match against Sanfrecce Hiroshima, at Seoul World Cup Stadium."

 

He smiled contentedly as he mentally tapped his back for a job well done. Yesterday's game was crazy. But it's a good thing his team won. He could still hear the fans' endless cheers as he scored the final goal. How his team mates' faces beamed with so much happiness alongside their coach.

His family who's overwhelmed with so much pride. How his brother and sisters flooded instagram with congratulatory posts. And of course his dad wouldn't let the day end without blowing up twitter. They could really go overboard sometimes but he loves them so much. And he misses them. One of these days when he finally gets his vacation, he'll really fly to LA to be with his family.

 

He also checked his phone. He's aware that it'll probably explode due to the number of messages he received right after the team's victory. But he wanted to read those messages.

And on top of his priorities, are the messages from his 'so called' friends. And just as he expected. The gang congratulated him. He read their messages.

 

Jackson: HEEYYY MAAAAN!!! You the best man! How do you score a goal while looking so hot like that? Wtf I'm turning gay. 

 

Bambam: Tuan Mark! That's one hell of a goal! You rock my world! Peace out

 

Yugyeom: Mark hyung! Wow, you're so amazing! Congratulations on your win! I'm buying cake kkekeke

 

Youngjae: Great job, Mark hyung! Congratulations from me and Jaebum. You really are the best. Always, fighting!

 

Mark could only smile reading their messages. They could be crazy alright. But they're his type of crazy.

With a grin, he composed a message.

'Arena. Midnight. My treat.' send to group.

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

Mark is all tensed up for the interview. His first interview. After being the talk of the town because of the big match, 10 Magazine has requested an interview with him. 

Though it's his first time to be interviewed, he knows how it goes. The usual questions.

 

"How did you get into soccer, mainly?"

 

His mind recalled the time when he first moved in Seoul. His struggle of making friends because of the language barrier. Not many students wants to make the effort to talk to him, given that he really isn't good in korean.

He resorted to playing sports to pass time. Soccer, in particular.

That's when he met him. He could still remember how he looked at him from across the field every time he practices.

He thought he erased the memory so well but it looks like he failed.

 

"What was your inspiration during those times that you were still learning the sport?"

He chose to shrug his thoughts off of that specific person and opted to answer the usual.

"My family..."

The interview then focused on his life outside the field. Everything was going well until that one question.

 

"Was there a single time when you regretted your decision of pursuing your dream of becoming a national athelete?"

 

His mind went back to those late nights when he went home to a dimly lit room. It was one of those nights when he missed dinner again. But the younger just remained patient, waiting for his return. He kissed his shoulder as he tightly wrapped his arms around him, his love.

Until it became a usual thing, him missing dinner, dates and everything else. That one night when they had a fight because of his busy schedule.

He remembers it. How they slowly drifted away from each other because he chose to go after his dream.

 

Now was there a single time when he regretted his decision?

He settled with a 'no'.

Since it wasn't just once.

He constantly does.

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

"You are thirty minutes late!"

Jackson whined as Mark arrived at their booth. He couldn't care less and just sat across the Chinese guy and beside the youngest two in the group.

"Stop being a kid, Jackson. At least we're here." Jaebum just shut Jackson up while making a pouty Youngjae sit beside him before also sitting down. 

 

Mark was late and happened to bump into the couple outside the Arena who seemed to be having an argument.

"You are always on the phone with someone, these past few days!" he overheard Youngjae.

The two have been together for eight long years. This fight is probably nothing, he thought.

 

They spent the night together like they always do whenever they have the time.

Yugyeom is fanboying over Mark, talking nonstop about the match which he watched live.

Bambam is going on about his newly bought outfit which he was wearing. Jackson is pretending to care.

 

He was talking with Youngjae when Jaebum excused himself to answer a phonecall. Youngjae's brow shot up again and sulked on his seat.

Mark opted to follow Jaebum. He found him near the restroom still on the phone with someone. 

"Yeah. Of course I will. You know that I'll do anything for you."

This got him suspicious. Who is he possibly talking to?

Before he could collect his thoughts, Jaebum already turned around and saw him. 

"Who was that?" he asked. 

Mark doesn't want to doubt his love for Youngjae but, Jaebum's eyes are giving him away. He looks as if he was caught red handed. 

"Just... someone from work." 

He narrowed his eyes at Jaebum. Is he cheating on Youngjae? He really wanted to know. But in the end, he chose to give him the benefit of the doubt.

"Okay then." He said then tapped his shoulder. "Just a reminder though. Youngjae loves you so much. Yeah sure there's a lot of guys out there but there's none like Youngjae. Always remember that."

But Jaebum just raised his eyebrow and removed Mark's hand from his shoulder. 

"You don't need to tell me, Mark. I know better than to let go of someone whom I love so much. I don't ever want to be miserable like you."

 

That hit him. And that maybe made him lose it. For the entire night, he drowned his thoughts with liquor. There is nothing which cannot be fixed by a nightout. 

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

He should've expected the massive headache he'll have the morning after.

 

It's 2pm. He was certainly wasted last night. If not for Jackson and Bambam, he might've slept in the club.

He again walked towards the kitchen, his mind still muzzy from the extensive amount of alcohol intake. He poured himself a glass of water and got a couple of alka seltzers to deal with his pounding head.

 

He'd like to blame it all on Jaebum since his words triggered him last night but who is he kidding? None of it was Jaebum's fault. He just reminded him how stupid he was but it's not his fault why he is miserable.

 

"Mr. Tuan."

Mrs. Hong, his housekeeper called him.

"I already finished the chores and cooked some food. They're in the refrigerator. Your clothes are all arranged in your closet. Can I head home now?"

He just nodded and send her out. Mark was about to sit on the couch when Mrs. Hong called on him again from the door.

Mark has his brows creased but the latter has nothing but surprise and confusion on her face.

 

"There's someone outside."

He's about to ask who it was when she continued.

 

"There's a child, sir."

 

Then a small figure popped his head inside the door, his eyes roamed around the room a bit then settled on his.

His small nose wrinkled as he seemed to examine the older's face.

Then there's a hint of recognition before those big round eyes widened and a smile crossed his small puffy face.

 

"Dad!"

 

Mark almost fell.

 

◾◾◾◾◾◾◾

 

I'm done! Let's party!  **Got7's LOOK blaring up the speakers**

 

How was it? How was it? How was it???? :)

 

So I decided to make this a chaptered fic. The storyline is soooo long and it's too hard to fit it in a one shot story. 

That is why I'll be asking for your patience. I don't know how long would this get but, I WILL TRY to post a chapter EVERYDAY. 

How's that? ;)

 

Toodles for now. Will try to be back real soon :*

 

<3 nicapark