Too Cliché?

"Just When I Thought"

 

Jinyoung  could feel his blood boiling despite of the air condition blowing directly on his face.

He just arrived at Korea. He completely left everything just to get back here and kick Jaebum's a*s. He wasn't even able to finish his training in Fukuoka.

He'll apologize to his boss some other time. He just need to deal with this mess first. 

His mind went back to that afternoon, five years ago.

 

"You could always go with me." Mark exhaled. "I'll just need to arrange some papers and-"

But Jinyoung didn't let him finish. He squeezed his hand while shaking his head slowly.

He cannot say anything that would make things better so he just smiled at Mark, a smile which ought to tell him how much Jinyoung loves him.

Mark looked at their intertwined fingers before looking at him with tears in his eyes. "What happened to us?"

What answer can stop him from hurting?

"We grew apart." and that did it for Mark's tears. 

But Jinyoung could only wipe those, caress his face for the last time, before walking away.

 

As soon as he gets on a taxi, his tears started streaming down. "Airport, please."

'This is all for the best', Jinyoung tried to remind himself. 

He stared outside the car's window. "We'll be fine." He mumbled as his hand rests on top of his stomach, feeling the warmth coming from it.

 

The sole reminder of the love he's shared with Mark.

 

That day he flew to Japan. When he learned of his pregnancy, he started to plan everything out. And that includes everything after leaving Mark. 

He applied in a publishing house as an assistant editor. He worked hard to support his self but made sure he's also being careful for his child.

He's nearing his due date when he called Jaebum. As much as he wanted to face everything alone, he hoped having his bestfriend by his side will be more comforting.

 

"What the hell, Park Jinyoung!" Jaebum shouted as soon as he entered his apartment. He flew to Japan as he asked for. What a good bestfriend. 

"You completely disappeared on us, on me, your best friend, for eight months! I was worried crazy on your where abouts. And now, you'll surprise me with this? You're pregnant??? With Mark's child???"

 

Thank goodness Jaebum didn't faint that time. For the whole month, he stayed by his side. Even if he had to lie to Youngjae about a business trip, he still stayed, helping him out until he gave birth to Jio. 

 

"Mark needs to know about this. He deserves to know about his son."

Countless times, Jaebum convinced him to go back to Korea and face Mark. But he just can't. At first, his reason is very much clear to him. But as time went by, he realized he was just afraid of Mark's reaction. How will he accept Jio? And if he does, how will he forgive Jinyoung?

 

"I want to see my dad." Jio said as he blew the candles on his birthday cake.

"It's not really a bad idea, Jinyoung." Jaebum second the motion.

But no. He still doesn't think it's the right time. So he disagreed, much to Jaebum's disappointment.

 

Yes. He maybe stubborn with his decision of not letting Jio meet Mark. But does that give Jaebum the right to go ahead of him like that?

If only he didn't agree to attending the training seminar. If only he didn't trust Jaebum when he said he'll look after his son.

 

This is his plan all along. And how could he not anticipate this to happen? 

Jaebum really wanted to let Jio see Mark. It shouldn't have surprised him that his bestfriend did this. 

 

But he doesn't know. He just feels so betrayed.

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

Jinyoung kissed his son's forehead as he bid him goodnight. He finally is sleeping.

It was a tough time calming him down. Jio just won't stop crying and saying his dad's name.

 

Jinyoung then left the room and closed the door behind him. He went downstairs where Jaebum and Youngjae are, sitting on the couch.

After he arrived in Seoul, he headed straight to the couple's house. It's a relief to see that they already have Jio with them. Of course Jaebum needs to bring Jio to their house, after all that was their agreement.

 

"Why did you do that, Jaebum?" Jinyoung asked straight to the point.

Jaebum closed his eyes and heaved a long sigh. "Don't talk as if what I did was a crime or something. I just gave what the kid wants. And he wants to see his dad. What is so wrong with that?"

Something in Jinyoung snapped and before he knew it he was already towering over Jaebum. 

 

"Who gave you the right to do so?" Jinyoung bitterly asked. "I'm his father. And not you. So who are you to decide on what's going to be good for my son?"

Jaebum matched his stare but didn't stand just yet. 

"You're too narrow minded, Jinyoung. You weren't there to see how happy Jio was when he met Mark. How his eyes light up everytime he looks at his dad. Jinyoung, your son was happy. And that's what's important, isn't it?"

 

Jinyoung stepped back and brushed his hair roughly. "You don't understand, Jaebum. I thought we already cleared things?"

 

"Jinyoung, believe me when I say that I am not doing this against you. Or your right as a father. But, Mark has an equal right as yours too. Maybe he messed up five years ago. But, you didn't see the look in his eyes when I was about to take Jio away. How he said with utmost certainty that he'll take care of Jio. That he'll be a father to him." Jaebum exhaled once more. "Jinyoung, Mark tried his best, and he did a great job although everything is so sudden. If you will just give him a chance-"

 

"So you did this for Mark?" Jinyoung's words came out too sharply. "What were you thinking, Jaebum? That by doing this, you're paving a way for me to get back here, back to Mark? Do you think we're in some kind of a cliché love story or something?"

 

But Jaebum retorted, finally standing up.

 

"For almost five years, I've put up with your issues, Jinyoung. I hid everything I knew to everyone. Even from our friends. Even from Youngjae."

Jaebum then pointed to Youngjae who seems completely taken aback because of their heated argument.

"Even when there were times that we'll argue because of this secret that we have, never did I tell Youngjae about Jio." Jaebum gave an exasperated sigh. "But it's different now, Jinyoung. Jio wants to meet his dad. I don't know how you managed to say no to that kid. To your own son. I still don't understand why you denied Mark the chance to be a father five years ago, and still refusing to give it to him now? Why are you so unfair to everyone around you, Jinyoung? Even to those who you claimed to love? If you really do love them, how can you hurt them this much? Are you really that selfish?"

Youngjae is on Jaebum's side, squeezing his hand, trying to calm his boyfriend down. But Jaebum continued on talking.

 

"You deprived Mark the chance to be a father to Jio. And all along, I supported you, and believed you that you just want what's best for Jio. But now, seeing your son happy with his dad, I don't know what 'best' are you talking about anymore. Mark deserves to have Jio too. Five years is long enough, and I refuse to take part of your little show anymore!"

Jinyoung's eyes started to water. Jaebum's words really hit him hard.

"It's not that simple, Jaebum! You don't understand me because you're not in my position!" 

But Jaebum refused to listen and spatted. "You're the only one making things complicated  than they actually are, Jinyoung! And I'm sorry but I can't understand you anymore."

Jaebum finally said, leaving him speechless. Youngjae apologized to him and followed after Jaebum.

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

Jinyoung is on Jio's bed. He's crying while playing with his son's hair.

He loves his son so much. But is Jaebum right? Is he being selfish? When it was clear for him that what he did five years ago, is not for his own sake.

He sighed and went outside to head towards the kitchen.

He needs to drink something to clear his mind.

 

But then he saw Jaebum making coffee. He was about to leave when Jaebum spoke.

"You couldn't sleep too?"

He just nodded and went to have a seat in the dining table.

Jaebum gave him the coffee and just made another one.

They were seated in front of each other. Jinyoung feels like the silence is eating them both up when suddenly, Jaebum decided to break it.

 

"I'm sorry." He started. "I realized I was not in the position to tell you what to do. So, whatever you want to do, I'm not saying anything against it anymore."

Jinyoung guiltily sighed. "No, I'm the one who should apologize, Jaebum."

He looked down and felt the warmth of the cup of coffee. "You've been the best kind of friend I could ever have. And you're right, you've put up with my sh*ts long enough. While I, well, I have been selfish. That's what I realized. I deprived Mark the chance of being a father to our son. And I deprived Jio the chance of having a dad. It's enough that I wasn't able to give Jio the complete family that he deserves. But it's too much if I take him now, away from his dad, when clearly he loves being with him."

Jinyoung sighed once again.

"So, I decided..."

Jaebum opened his mouth in surprise. "Are you getting back together with Mark?"

Jinyoung glared at his bestfriend. "No. That is not in the context."

Jaebum frowned at him but he continued.

"I just decided to give Mark a fair chance of being a father to Jio. I'll let him have the time he's asking for, to be with our son. Because you're right. He deserves it."

When Jinyoung saw Jaebum smiled contentedly, he knows he made the right decision.

"Jio will be thrilled." Jaebum said.

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

Next morning, Jio refuses to wake up.

"I won't go with you to Japan, appa. You're bad. You lied to me. You said you don't hate dad but you're taking me away from him!"

Jio started to cry so Jinyoung hushed him and apologized.

His son is a cry baby.

Something he got from Mark.

 

"Ssshh, baby. I'm sorry. Appa is sorry. Can you please look at me and listen?" He continues to wipe the tears on his puffy cheeks.

God. How can he let his little angel be miserable?

"I won't take you back to Japan, okay. And I won't take you away from your dad." Jio stopped crying and sniffed. "And if you'll be a good boy, then I could help you prepare to see him later."

Jio's eyes lit up and Jinyoung swears it made his heart swell.

"I'm gonna see dad?" Jinyoung nodded. "You will let me see dad?" Another nod then Jio is already jumping off the bed.

"Then let's go, appa! I can't wait!"

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

They're having breakfast and they're eating the food that Youngjae prepared.

Sometimes Jinyoung wonders when are these two gonna get married? They're obviously made for each other.

 

"I'm glad you finally decided to let Mark hyung spend more time with Jio." Youngjae said smiling.

"I just can't bear to see Jio crying because of me." Jinyoung said while looking at his son, playing with his little pikachu.

Jio is done eating and is wearing his backpack already. His son is certainly excited to be with his dad again.

Should he be jealous?

 

"Appa? When will we go to dad's big house?"

He almost laughed as he remembered how Jio excitedly told him about Mark's big house as he calls it.

Jinyoung answered. "Depends on your uncle Jaebum. He's going to drive you there."

Of course he wouldn't come. He couldn't just yet.

He turned to Jaebum. "Hey, hurry up eating. Jio is excited."

But Jaebum just shrugged. "I don't need to hurry."

Jinyoung was about to scold him on being a slowpoke when the doorbell rang.

"I'll go get it!!!"

Jio jumped on his feet and bounced towards the door.

Jinyoung was sipping on his coffee when he heard Jio's squeal.

 

"Dad!"

Jinyoung coughed and wiped the spilled coffee on his mouth.

Did he hear his son right?

 

Soon enough, Jio returned to the kitchen while holding someone's hand.

And as if everything turned into slow motion, he saw a very familiar figure, walking towards them.

He noticed his hair which is dyed black, unlike the last time he saw him. But aside from that, everything else is the same as how he remembered.

His brown eyes and thin lips. And the way he smiles.

His eyes met his and for a moment, Jinyoung felt his heart made a loud thump, he almost clutched it.

 

"Jinyoung." Mark said.

Jinyoung could only look back at Jaebum with questioning eyes.

What has he done again?

But Jaebum looked at him knowingly, raised an eyebrow and smiled like he had just beat him on something.

 

"What? I thought you hated clichés?"

Jinyoung looked at him incredulously but he continued.

"How about a plot twist?"

 

◾◾◾◾◾◾◾

 

I made it, didn't I? :) 

 

Gosh. Now I am sure my brain cells are nocturnal. They work and function best at night (tho it's like 2 am already) 

 

Anyway, how did this chapter turn out? I hope I did just well.

I never thought updating two stories in the same night would be this hard. 

 

Please send some love! :) Your comments inspire me to write more. And please do upvote, if it's not too much to ask :*

 

Toodles for now, but see you next chapter! :) :*

 

<3 nicapark