Endless Love

Queen of Roses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They reached the royal palace the next day, with Chaeyoung, Jaehyun and Jimin leading the way through the cheerful citizens. When Chaeyoung saw the children throw flower petals in front of their path, she couldn't help but smile. And when she saw people she recognized, like the little boy they had saved from death in Dongygeong (Mansae), some civilians from Daegu, and a group of Irene's concubines, her smile grew even wider. It was like the whole country had united to pay respect to the people who fought for them when they could not fight for themselves.

The first thing Chaeyoung made sure to do was arrange a funeral for all the warriors and loved ones they had lost during the war. Despite the royal secretary's protests, she insisted on paying tribute to these brave souls. Eventually, he gave in, but on the condition that Chaeyoung and Jaehyun wed that same night. She would have pointed out how wrong it was to hold a funeral and a wedding on the same day if she thought they cared even a little. But, unfortunately, they did not. So, all she could do was accept her tragic fate and agree.

Everyone, from nobles to peasants to children, gathered in front of the palace gates, each of them dressed in black and with a paper lantern held in their hands. Chaeyoung stood on top of the castle gates, overlooking the crowd and preparing to deliver her speech, with Jaehyun, Jimin, Yoongi, Jisoo, Lisa, Seokjin, Irene, Daesung, and Namjoon standing beside her in solidarity.

Taehyung was nowhere to be found. A part of her feared he had already left for Daegu and her heart squeezed painfully at the thought. Although she understood why he would not want to be present on her wedding day, she still could not shake the agony that filled her at the thought of never seeing him again.

But now, as she stood in front of the citizens that now looked to her for guidance, she cleared and her mind.

"We are gathered here today to honour those who have fought bravely to protect this country. To remember their sacrifice and to ensure that their efforts are never forgotten. As you light your lanterns, I would like you to picture your loved one who has passed, and as you release the lantern into the sky, I want you to allow the wind to carry their souls to a better place. A place of peace and tranquility. Let them become one with the stars that overlook us each dark night and let us never forget the light they shined in our lives. May we reunite with them when the time comes."

Amidst a sea of sniffles and prayers, she lit her lantern and released it into the sky, watching it float away freely with a bittersweet smile. One-by-one, the indigo sky became speckled with each bright lantern, intermingling with the stars and engulfing them in a warm haze of white light.

Slowly, the crowd began to disperse, families comforting each other and children attempting to cheer up their siblings. And Chaeyoung glanced down at the crowd again, hoping she would find a familiar pair of dark eyes amongst them. But she didn't see him. She didn't know if she ever would again.

Having successfully completed their mission, Jisoo had already given Yoongi and Taehyung their promised rewards for protecting Chaeyoung. Yoongi was 100 gold pieces richer, and Taehyung had earned the title of Southern Commander as soon as they had entered the capital. He had fulfilled his duties, thus there was really no reason for him to stay in the capital. It would be selfish of Chaeyoung to assume he would.

"The wedding is in an hour," Jaehyun interrupted her thoughts matter-of-factly, "we should prepare ourselves."

For the hundredth time that day, Chaeyoung felt dread stirring in the pit of her stomach as she realized how near she was to promising the rest of her future away. To a man she didn't love. To a man that wasn't Taehyung.

Eventually though, her sense of duty caused her to release a deep sigh and follow Jaehyun down towards the palace doors where, yet again, she had become a prisoner in her own home.

~{❀}~

Seokjin approached Irene's chambers after the funeral ceremony, his mood significantly impacted by the somber atmosphere in the palace and seeking her arms as a method of calming his pained heart.

After Irene had tended to his battle wounds and competently nursed him back to health, he had not spent more than a few moments without her company. As strange as it sounded, it seemed like they had become binded to each other. She somehow understood his intentions and emotions beyond the humour he used to mask them, and he evoked a gentleness in her that she herself was not aware existed.

His heart skipped a beat the way it normally did when the scent of her floral perfume washed over him as he neared her chamber. But before he could knock, the sound of hushed whispers within caused his hand to come to a halt in front of the door.

Leaning in closer, he could just make out the voices of Namjoon and Daesung as they spoke with Irene. And he was suddenly reminded of the similar suspicious feeling crawling through him when he overheard Daesung and Namjoon conspiring together in the middle of the night in the underground tunnels.

"Are you sure about this?" Namjoon asked in a fierce whisper.

Irene's response was just as fierce and affirmative, "my intel is never wrong."

"Do you have proof?" Daesung asked calmly.

Seokjin heard the rummaging of what he could only assume were documents.

"Do you realize how powerful these documents are?" Namjoon asked, and Seokjin had never heard his tone fill with more shock, "it changes everything."

"It is the reason any of this began in the first place," Daesung responded, his tone accepting and much calmer than Namjoon's.

At this point, not only was Seokjin's curiosity piqued, but his frustration had also boiled over. In the tunnels, he had simply overlooked the suspicious conversation he had overheard, but now that the matter seemed to involve Irene and had become much more serious, he had had enough of their deception. He had to know what was going on.

Without another thought, he stormed through the door and glared at the three startled individuals who turned towards the door as if they had been caught committing the worst of crimes.

"Can someone explain to me what the hell is going on in here?" Seokjin demanded, his eyes darting between the three of them with pure betrayal, "if I didn't know any better, I would think you are plotting treason."

The three of them glanced between one another covertly before Irene released a long, defeated sigh.

Then she glanced up at him with a resolute expression on her face and motioned towards the seat beside her.

"Close the door," she commanded quietly, "and take a seat. It's a long story."

~{❀}~

Chaeyoung sat perfectly still, her calm exterior a stark contrast to the chaos of emotions brewing within her, as dozens of court maids tended to her. Tugging and twisting long strands of her hair with expert hands. Pinning heavy jewels to her head in an attempt to restrain her rebellious locks. Slathering moisturizing cream along every crevice of her skin, every tensed muscle. Brushing powder along her pale cheeks. Spraying endless mists of perfume around her like a poisonous fog.

It reminded her too much of her childhood. Of the life she had always craved to escape. Of everything that had changed and everything that had remained exactly the same.

Her reflection stared back at her through a small, bronze mirror on the nightstand in her room. Emotionless and exhausted. Tired lines and dark under eye circles dimming the beauty of her features. A permanent frown lingering on her lips. The face of a truly heartbroken woman.

Moments ago, she had bid farewell to the thousands of people they had lost during the war, and now she had to say goodbye to her freedom as well.

When the court maids prepared to dress her in the traditional red and gold hanbok that would be both her wedding and coronation gown, she could no longer remain still.

"I can dress myself," she said softly before they could fasten the ribbons of her undergarment.

Several skeptical faces stared back at her, torn between their sense of duty to adequately prepare their queen and their sense of obedience to respect her orders.

The head court maid was the first to voice her concern, "but, your majesty, the ribbons are on the back, how will you reach them?"

Chaeyoung sighed, throwing a frustrated glance down at the modern, European corset the court had provided her. Apparently, it was the newest fashion and w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter