Prologue

Queen of Roses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Goryeo, winter 997.

It was an ominous night unlike any other. It was darker, colder, and eerily quiet. A luminous full moon provided the only light in the otherwise black sky – almost a lonely sight without any trace of stars to accompany it.

Prince Hyeonjeong, first in line for the throne, paced anxiously in the courtyard as screams from his wife, her royal highness, echoed on the left side of the palace, while his concubine’s shrieks rang from the other side. With each cry of pain, the whole palace – court maids, eunuchs, guards, and all – a collective breath in, praying for the agonizing sounds to end.

It was a miracle, he had been told, that both his wives were giving birth at the same time. It almost appeared to be a competition. Who would produce a child first? Who would grant the kingdom a boy? Such an occurrence had never come to fruition in all of Goryeo’s history. If everything went according to plan, he would become a father twice in one night. He should have been overjoyed, but he could not shake the heavy feeling that was stirring within him. After all, two children meant two heirs to the throne, and history had proven that such circumstances never ended well. It had only been four years since the war with the Khitan people of the Liao Dynasty and tensions were beginning to rise yet again. Internal conflicts within the court were the last thing the kingdom required.  

Prince Hyeonjeong spared a glance at the handful of astronomers a few steps behind him, who were simultaneously observing the sky and praying, their facial expressions almost undecipherable with the exception of a few pursed lips and gently furrowed brows. Surely, that was not a good sign.

“What is it?” he abruptly halted his pacing upon hearing one of them gasp.

The astronomers bowed their heads immediately, “forgive us, your majesty, but we require more time to derive conclusive fortunes.”

“It is not good, is it?” the prince asked, tilting his head to observe the dark clouds which were beginning to overwhelm and darken the moon.

The astronomers exchanged nervous glances with one another, their heads still bowed, and their hands clasped in front of them respectfully. One brave soul eventually ventured to say, “I am afraid it appears so, your majesty. The full moon represents the first-born who will bring the country enlightenment and peace, whereas the last-born is represented

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter