Epilogue

Queen of Roses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Goryeo, Summer 1018 (2 years later). 

Chaeyoung awoke to the faint melody of robins chirping and tree branches rustling in the cool midsummer breeze. A stream of sunlight streamed through the pure-white lace curtains of her bedroom window, warming the empty spot next to her. Preparing it for her husband's arrival later tonight.

A soft pout tugged at her full lips as she gazed at the unused pillow beside her. He had only been gone for two days, but she felt like it had been forever and a day. Taehyung, the southern commander of Goryeo's most elite and competent warriors, was currently assisting King Jimin on a northern trade expedition with the Mongolians, maintaining and strengthening the alliance between the two countries. Ensuring the peace they had worked so tirelessly to obtain would continue. So much for a life free of duty and obligations. Taehyung had done more for the government in these past two years than he had in his entire lifetime and Chaeyoung constantly about it because he actually seemed to have a talent for it. The fact that his bestfriend was the King probably had something to do with it.

With that being said, she was irritated when Jimin pulled her husband away from her for two full days when they had not spent a single day apart since their marriage two years ago. It was practically torture and Chaeyoung had made sure her brother knew this with the way she grumbled and complained on the morning of their departure. Not to brag, but she had almost convinced Taehyung to stay with the needy way she clung to him in bed. Needless to say, Jimin was not impressed when the general of his army showed up hours late with ruffled hair, a luminous glow, and love marks all over his neck.

Their new neighbours, Jisoo and Yoongi, had claimed she had attachment issues everytime they came by to check on her, but she preferred to blame it on love. She also made sure to point out, multiple times, that they were the ones with attachment issues as Yoongi had declined the King's decree and skipped the expedition all together. His excuse had been the lengthy travel time, but everyone knew it was because he could not stay away from his newborn twins, and his very pregnant partner.

Jisoo and Yoongi had never gotten married, though with the way they acted, it seemed like they had been together for decades. They claimed marriage was a scheme designed by the government to control a couple's freedom whilst simultaneously infringing on their privacy rights. However, that did not stop them from having children and building their own house right in front of Chaeyoung and Taehyung's cabin in a secluded corner of Daegu's forest. It was the same place Taehyung had whisked her away to in the thunderstorm. After their marriage, he had expanded his studio into a small house. He had built her dream house complete with an outdoor garden and a flower pathway leading up to the entrance. It was perfect.

Not to be outdone by Taehyung, when Yoongi had seen the effort they had put into building the cabin, he spent all the gold pieces he earned as compensation for protecting the princess, to build his own house. And every summer, Yoongi and Taehyung would renovate certain pieces of the buildings and boast about it day and night like the rivals that they were and then train together the next morning like nothing happened.

The only thing that separated the two strangely similar cabins was a small stream of clear water. A stream that Chaeyoung and Jisoo would gather fresh water from every morning while complaining about their husbands and doting on each other's children.

Speaking of children, the sound of Chaeyoung's 9-month old daughter, Taeyeon, tossing in her crib in the corner of the room immediately caused her to rise and begin her day.

A wide smile spread across her face as she approached the pale pink crib, which had, once again, been made by Taehyung while Chaeyoung handed him tools and supplies and rewarded his hard work with hugs and kisses in between.

As soon as her gaze locked on her stirring baby, who was equal parts Taehyung as she was Chaeyoung, her chest overfilled with joy. Their love had always been precious to her but know that it had led to the creation of such an innocent, pure life, lifted it to unbelievable heights. Everyday brought her new joys, new appreciation for life, more reasons to smile.

They had named her after the sister Taehyung had lost in the plague, as a small way of remembering her. Taehyung had cried when she was born, his sobs rivalling Chaeyoung's own as they gazed at the beautiful human in their arms and their eyes shared a thousand profound emotions. Somehow, their love continued to grow beyond what it already was as they tackled the new challenge of parenthood together.

And as she lifted her cooing infant into her arms, she once again found herself marvelling at the beauty of life and the depth of love in her heart. She began humming a lullaby as Taeyeon nestled into her neck, her tiny fingers curling into a small fist that gently rested on her chest.

Slowly, she made her way towards the main living area, passing by several portraits of herself and Taeyeon along the way – art that Taehyung had spent hours creating in the calmness of the night while the two girls slept. He never drew himself. And yet, it was impossible to not feel his presence in every corner of the house. Whether it was the pieces of furniture he created, the art he hung on every available surface, or his weapons hanging on the wall – wherever she looked, she was surrounded by him. Even when he was no where near.

After hours of feeding and playing, Taeyeon eventually tired herself out, nuzzling into Chaeyoung's chest with slow even breaths and full, dark lashes framing her gently closed eyes. Chaeyoung her daughter's soft russet-brown locks before using a large silk cloth to strap her small body to her chest.

Then, as was her daily routine, she ventured to the immense garden surrounding their house. Once again, a satisfied smile crossed her features as she watered the collection of flowers spread about the lush, green landscape in even, organized rows. Delicate lilac-coloured butterflies fluttered around her as she swept the fallen petals of the cherry blossom trees away from the long, stone walkway. A light breeze ruffled through her long, straight hair, delivering a fresh wave of clean air tinged with light floral scents to her satisfied lungs.

Once she was satisfied with the state of the garden, she met Jisoo and Yoongi by the stream.

"Honestly, Jisoo, I don't think it's safe for you to leave the house when you're that pregnant," Yoongi stated, concern and distress lining his face as he struggled to hold his twin sons in his arms while Jisoo held onto his shirt for support, wobbling her way out of the house with her huge stomach barely making it out the narrow doorway.

She shot him an offended look, "are you calling me fat?"

"Not fat, but definitely not small," he muttered, earning an elbow in the ribs, "I swear to god, this time there are triplets in there."

"If that's true, we are never sleeping together again," she stated, fully serious as a look of pure astonishment crossed Yoongi's face at such a ridiculous suggestion, "so congratulations, you played yourself."

Chaeyoung chuckled when they finally reached her, taking one of the twins off Yoongi's hands as they all walked through the forest towards the town.

One of the other things they had implemented in the town, with the cumulative wealth of each of their inheritances, was build a free school in Daegu for children and adolescents of all social classes. A place where they could acquire an education and interact with one another as equals – sharing ideas, building crucial life skills, and becoming the future influencers of their country. There was even a daycare led by Taehyung's parents attached to the building so the teachers would be free to lead the lessons without worrying about their children.

Chaeyoung was in charge of teaching politics and music. Yoongi and Taehyung alternated between leading archery an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter