Verdict

Queen of Roses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeyoung, Jaehyun, and his soldiers rode back to the Northern base in relative silence, with Chaeyoung still grieving the loss of Jungkook and Jaehyun trying to understand what had transpired after he and his soldiers crossed the border first. She had told him the bare minimum. That a rogue Khitan warrior had disobeyed the commander’s orders and killed Jungkook. Jaehyun had expressed relief that the Khitan commander had instantly killed his soldier for treason and safely escorted Chaeyoung the rest of the way to the border, but all Chaeyoung could feel was pain.

He had attempted to ask her if she was okay a couple of times, but her flat mood and vague responses were enough to prevent him from probing any further.

After Jungkook’s death, she barely possessed the energy to keep her exhausted eyes open, let alone engage in conversation with a man who had practically ruined her life. Among the thousands of stressful situations that had occurred over the span of a few short weeks, her engagement to Jaehyun was one of the most upsetting. A few months ago, when she had initially met Jaehyun, she had not been so opposed to the idea; however, now that his family had threatened her loved ones and forced a marriage upon her, she could scarcely look at him. Especially because they were both in love with someone else.

“How is Yeri doing?” Chaeyoung could no longer remain quiet.

She noticed Jaehyun’s torso tensing ever-so-slightly before he offered her a calm response.

“She is doing well, I presume.”

“You presume?”

“I have not seen her in a while.”

Chaeyoung scoffed, her bitterness finally seeping through her polite exterior, “ever since you began plotting your scheme to overtake the throne?”

“Despite what you may believe, this was not my idea,” Jaehyun continued to use the faux, calm and collected tone of voice that had been ingrained in nobles at such an early age, “I simply aim to fulfill my duties as a son in the interest of my family.”

“But why must you do that by taking the throne? Surely, you do not want to spend the rest of your young life being onfined to a palace and adhering to a strict regimen of governmental and political duties. You would not be able to fight as many battles, have limited contact with your friends and family, and virtually no time to partake in your usual hobbies. Not to mention, the weight of the entire country would rest on your shoulders. Is this really the type of life a young man like yourself desires?”

Jaehyun raised a brow at her, “and the one you love, Taehyung, would he enjoy such a life?”

Chaeyoung almost flinched at this question. It was a sensitive topic. One that had revolved around her mind for a long time. It was one of the main reasons she had initially decided to stay away from Taehyung. Because she knew he would never be satisfied with the restricted life he would live as a King. He was too wild, too spirited, too ambitious, too free for that. But as their love for one another deepened, their priorities changed. Now, he was prepared to give up everything for her. And she would not hesitate to do the same for him.

“I think our goal is to be together, regardless of the circumstances,” she responded truthfully. Perhaps a little to truthfully than Jaehyun deserved.

“If that is your goal, then you can just abdicate the throne to me. You would still be upholding your end of our deal, be relieved of your duties and can live whatever life you choose with whomever you desire. It would be the simplest solution.”

Chaeyoung sighed, “I apologize for my bluntness, but I do not trust you and your father to rule the country. The reason we partook in such a brutal civil war in the first place was to ensure Goryeo would be in good hands at the end of it all. The people are searching for a royal monarch to lead them. One they trust, who will govern justly and bring them the peace they desire. After the stunt your family pulled, I am convinced that you and your father are not the right people to do that. Unfortunately, I am the only monarch left, after Mingyu, who has the qualifications and intentions to lead our people.”

Jaehyun nodded his head in understanding, surprisingly receptive to Chaeyoung’s underhanded insult. Perhaps he too knew that he was not the right person to govern the country.

Taking Jaehyun’s understanding as fuel for her confidence, Chaeyoung turned to flash him a semi-exasperated, semi-pleading look, “I have watched you with your army, Jaehyun. I know you are not a cruel man. The soldiers are loyal to you, not your father. I am sure you could convince them all to drop the deal and head back home in a heartbeat –”

“Miss Park, just as you have the duty to serve your people, I have the responsibility of serving my family,” he interrupted her sharply, his hands clutched the reins of his horse tighter, “the throne is the only thing my father has ever asked of me and I am willing to do whatever it takes to get it for him.”

“Even if it means ruining both your own life and mine?”

He remained silent, refusing to meet her sharp gaze.

“Even if it means you will be leading a life you will despise?”

Again, no reaction from his stubbornly stoic self.

“Even if it means giving up on love?”

Jaehyun finally turned towards her with pursed lips, the only indication of frustration he showed.

“Whatever it takes,” he repeated, his tone once again devoid of all emotions, before urging his horse to ride faster.

Chaeyoung watched him ride away with an irritated scoff, internally scolding herself for even trying to solve this dilemma with reason alone. What was even more concerning, however, was that the more time passed, the more she began to realize there was no real solution to this problem. That at the end of all this pain and suffering, she would have to say goodbye to the man she loved. Nothing scared her more than that.

By the time they reached their main base again, the streaks of burgundy and coral in the sky indicated that it was already early morning. A calm silence had befallen the battlefield. No war cries, no thunder cracking through the sky, no clashing of weapons. It was almost peaceful.

Except for the cheering that was coming from their campground.

Chaeyoung’s brows furrowed in confusion as she followed Jaehyun through the gates. They were immediately greeted by the sight of thousands of soldiers laughing, dancing and singing merrily. Like they were celebrating.

“What is going on?” Chaeyoung asked dumbfoundedly as she hopped down from her horse, looking to the first soldier she saw for an explanation.

But, Namjoon was the one who answered instead.

“Concubine Kim is dead, Mingyu’s commanders have fallen, their army has retreated, and Mingyu himself has been captured,” he announced with an almost prideful glint in his eyes.

Chaeyoung’s eyes grew wide in shock, “are you saying what I think you are saying?”

“Yes, you can finally relax, your highness,” he smiled, “the war has been won.”

She could feel tears of relief b her exhausted eyes as she threw her arms around the old man in celebration, “I thought I would never hear those words.”

“Neither did we.”

She turned to see Yoongi and Jisoo walking directly towards her, their hands clutched together tightly as if they would lose each other in the mayhem of the celebrations if they ever let go. Following behind them were Lisa and Jimin, smiling brightly and sharing a flask of wine.

An anxious knot formed in Chaeyoung’s gut as she realized everyone had converged to the main base. All the soldiers had reunited with their comrads and all of Chaeyoung’s friends had found each other again. But, as her eyes roamed the busy campground and as she peered behind Jimin and Yoongi in search of the man she yearned to see the most, that anxiousness escalated to a full-blown panic attack.

“Where are the others?” she finally asked Jimin when her patience had eventually run out.

“Jennie and Taeyong have been martyred,” he stated, the smile fading from his bright face at the memory.

Chaeyoung placed a sympathetic hand on his shoulder, “I heard, I am so sorry for your loss.”

“At least they went out doing what they love most. Fighting.” He flashed her a tiny smile before continuing, “Seokjin, Irene and Daesung have travelled back to the capital to ensure it is adequately prepared for our arrival.”

She nodded in approval before releasing a deep breath and asking the question that she could not stop thinking about.

“And Taehyung?”

Before Jimin could answer, a characteristically deep voice, a voice that had become a healing melody to her wounded heart, a voice she thought she would never hear again, sounded from behind her.

“Right here.”

Chaeyoung swivelled around so fast that she was certain she pulled a neck muscle in the process. But she could not care less. Because standing only a few feet away from her was Kim Taehyung, in all his warrior glory, gazing at her from across the overcrowded campground as if she was the only person he could see.

He wore the blood, sweat, and tears of the war on his armour

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter