Promise

Queen of Roses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

D-1

"I can't do this anymore," Taehyung groaned, collapsing to the the ground beside Chaeyoung.

Her response was supportive and patient. "Yes, you can, just give it another try."

"It is too difficult. We should have never started this in the first place."

"It was your idea."

"Well I am officially giving up."

"How can you just give up?" Chaeyoung asked in an exaggeratedly shocked tone, "think about our future children."

"Ugh fine," he grumbled, sitting back up and positioning himself behind her as he picked up several chunks of her long wavy hair, "but I'm only doing this for the children."

Chaeyoung laughed, gently closing her eyes as he combed his large hands through the full length of her hair before attempting to braid it again. Distractedly, her hand glided up to the jade pendant around her neck, the smooth gem bringing her even more comfort than she already felt.

After their wild night in the hot spring and the even wilder night which followed, her hair was understandably ruffled. Taehyung had offered to tie it back for her but had soon discovered that it was not as easy a task as he had envisioned. Chaeyoung, on the other hand, was fully entertained by his constant frustrated grunts and whiny behaviour. It was the first time she had seen this side of him – fully relaxed but slightly moody with a pouty morning face to complete the look. If this was the face she would wake up to every day, then everyday would be perfect.

As his fingers fumbled their way through her hair, she gazed up at the streaks of light peeking through the dark morning. Automatically, a sense of dread blossomed in the pit of her stomach, climbing its way to her heart and causing it to clench. In a few hours, they would be split apart. Only a day remained till the war. A day of anticipating, dreading, and preparing for the worst.

It took him several moments to master the art of braiding, but Chaeyoung did not mind at all. She stayed still like the perfect doll the palace maids had trained her to be.

Her mind began to wander to her youth when she would sit in a similar fashion as multiple people attended to her. In their haste to make her appear presentable, the court maids would pull and tug on her hair, twisting it into tight knots and pinning it to her scalp apathetically. She would begin every morning with dread and irritation, a permanent, regal smile plastered on her face as she floated from each repetitive, dull day to the next. Elegance, obedience, reputation, perfection. That was what was expected of her there.

It was nothing like how she felt in this moment with Taehyung. His touch was soft and loving, like every strand of her hair was precious silk. And though he was inexperienced and struggling, she remained perfectly content in his hands, trusting him completely. The court maids would faint if they saw her posture now – comfortable and leaning so far back into Taehyung's touch that she was practically on his lap. In the palace, each morning felt tortuously long, but she wished this morning would never end.

But it did end eventually, as all good things must.

After several laughter and struggle filled moments, Taehyung and Chaeyoung reluctantly made their way back to the main camp in Gaegyeong. They barely spoke a word on the peaceful journey there, basking in each other's presence for one last time. Cherishing the moment as if they may not be given another.

The camp was bustling with soldiers by the time they reached it. A large group of them had already lined up in front of the tents with their horses, steel armour covering them from head to toe and their belts filled with brand new weapons. Lisa was handing out loafs of bread to each of them while Jimin drilled them with the final battle formations. Yoongi and Jisoo were shockingly doing nothing and standing by idly as Jungkook led an exercise group in the far corner of the field.

"It looks like we're late to the party," Taehyung whispered as they both made eye contact with a disapproving Jimin. He sped up his pace without releasing her hand from his, causing Jimin's frown to deepen when they finally did reach him.

"You're late," he muttered, throwing Taehyung's armour at him and calling for his horse.

"Excuse me, but we were very preoccupied this morning."

Lisa threw him a teasing smile, "and last night too, apparently."

When Taehyung and Chaeyoung just stared at her, feigning complete innocence, she pointed to the spot above her right collarbone, "you have a little mark right about here. I wonder what ever it could be?"

Jimin and Lisa exchanged a knowing look as Taehyung glanced down at his neck and Chaeyoung's cheeks flared with colour.

"Oh this?" Taehyung shrugged casually, "probably just a mosquito bite."

"A mosquito named Chaeyoung probably," Jungkook added, overhearing the conversation and joining them, his comment inciting more snickers amongst their group.

Taehyung raised a dark brow at him, "jealous?"

"Ya, a little." His quick response and light tone made it appear like a joke, causing another round of chuckles to flutter through the crowd. But when Chaeyoung glanced up at him, she could've sworn she saw a sliver of sincerity flash across his eyes before he averted his gaze. And though Taehyung maintained an easy smile on his face, the tightening of his hand in hers told her he could sense it too.

"Alright, alright," Yoongi approached them in his battle armour with Jisoo following closely, "that's enough nonsense for today, we must leave now if we want to avoid running into Mingyu's men and thereby ruining our only advantage in this war: the element of surprise."

"As much as I hate to say it, Yoongi is right," Taehyung sighed, glancing up at the sky.

He used one hand to motion the soldiers to begin mounting their horses. As more and more of them gathered around the base, forming several organized rows, Chaeyoung finally began to realize the gravity of their situation. In just a few moments he would be leaving and there was no guarantee that he would ever come back.

Taehyung began to gently release her hand, which only exacerbating the panic growing in her heart. She whined slightly in protest, clutching onto his fingers firmly and refusing to release him.

He glanced down at their tightly intertwined hands in amusement, "relax, sweetheart, I'm just going to put on my armor."

"Oh," she responded quiet

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter