Victorious

Queen of Roses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taehyung chugged from a nearby flask of water, his heart beating rapidly and his breathing heavy from the warm-up he had just completed. The day of the wrestling tournament had finally arrived, and all 30 soldiers in the faction were busy preparing to prove not only to the hundreds of spectators gathered around the arena, but also to themselves that they were worthy of serving in Goryeo’s army.

There was an open field adjacent to the military training grounds that had been set aside for the event. The soldiers had risen at the first light of day to set up heavy rope around the grass, forming a large circular wrestling ring. The citizens were instructed to stand behind the rope, and a long wooden bench was placed on one end of the circle for the competing soldiers to rest upon.

Taehyung paced around the temporary circular ring that had been specially built for this event, stretching his neck and shoulders and ignoring the enthusiastic chatter of the citizens that surrounded him. The spring air was refreshing as he inhaled deeply to remedy his tired lungs, and the sun shined down on the arena like a natural spotlight. The markets were completely empty as everyone waited patiently for the exciting event. The recent war had made community events a rare occurrence, so the country was in dire need of some sort of entertainment. This wrestling match was not only an opportunity for Taehyung to earn some money, but to also help boost the morale of all the citizens.

Grabbing a nearby cloth, he hastily patted the gleams of sweat that were forming on his forehead and neck, tossing it towards the far corner of the ring where a handful of young ladies dressed in simple, beige and pink hanboks watched him eagerly. He was momentarily taken aback when a couple of them quickly moved to claim the used cloth, beginning their own fight.

“I grabbed it first!” one girl exclaimed, just as another snatched it from her hands.

“No, I did!”

Taehyung simply shook his head and moved to join the rest of the soldiers on the bench, taking his place in between Yoongi and Seokjin.

“Are you prepared to lose?” Seokjin asked with a grin, “because I’m not planning on going easy on you.”

“Just worry about yourself, hyung,” Taehyung chuckled, “I was born for this.”

“I was born first,” Yoongi pointed out, inviting himself into the conversation.

“No one asked,” Seokjin responded sarcastically.

Taehyung smirked, “let the best man win.”

Yoongi scoffed at that, “seeing as how I’m the only real man here, I guess I’ve already won by default.”

“If your definition of a real man is 5 foot two and below 60 kilograms, then yes I guess you’re the only man here,” Taehyung muttered sarcastically, earning a sharp elbow in the ribs that caused his breath to hitch in pain.

He recovered quickly from the blow and laughed it off carelessly, “you’re going to pay for that.”

Before anyone could say anything else, the commander of the faction walked towards the middle of the wrestling ring, immediately ceasing all conversations as everyone waited in anticipation.

“Thank you all for joining us today as we welcome our new soldiers to Goryeo’s central army. We hope that you enjoy this brief entertainment before proceeding with your busy lives and celebrating the Spring festival tomorrow. Before we get started, there are some special guests joining us who I would like to formally announce.”

Taehyung glanced up in surprise towards the front of the arena where 4 high chairs were placed just inside the rope borders. He had been so engrossed in conversation with Yoongi and Seokjin that he hadn’t even noticed the workers bring them out. His surprise only grew when his eyes caught sight of a familiar tall figure walking towards the chair with a young nobleman.

“I would like to introduce her highness, Princess Park Chaeyoung, escorted by Sir Jung Jaehyun.”

“Princess?” Taehyung whispered to himself, his eyebrows shooting up in a mixture of shock and distaste as he watched her take a seat only a couple feet directly in front of him. He should have expected as much just by her luxurious clothing upon their first meeting. If not then, her confidence and eloquence should have given her away after their second meeting. And yet, Taehyung did not suspect a thing.

Now, it made perfect sense that someone had attempted to kill her. Taehyung may have done it himself if he knew who she really was from the very beginning. Though he knew it was irrational, he felt angry and cheated. He couldn’t believe he had conversed with, let alone rescued, someone of royal blood. The same royal blood that had failed the country so many times and isolated his hometown as if it were the scum of the earth. He despised the monarchy within Goryeo and would not rest until it crumbled into ashes and dust. If this woman – Chaeyoung – happened to be a casualty in his attempt to destroy the royals, then so be it.

His hands were clenched into tight fists as he glared at her from across the arena. At that moment, she glanced up and met his gaze unwaveringly. He wanted to hate those eyes that always appeared so deceivingly clear and innocent, even from the distance. However, though he tried, it was frustratingly difficult to despise her, especially when a faint smile spread across her face upon seeing him. Immediately, he tore his eyes away from her and snatched Seokjin’s flask from his hands, chugging the remaining water all at once. Ignoring Seokjin’s protests, he threw the flask behind him with an aggressiveness that surprised even himself.

When he turned to face the crowd again, another nobleman was making his way across the arena – an entourage of guards closely following behind him.

“And finally, we have his highness, the Crown Prince, Kim Mingyu,” the commander announced boastfully as the man took a seat beside Chaeyoung.

Taehyung’s already sour mood deteriorated further at the sight of the Crown Prince. Kim Mingyu was infamous for being ruthless and cruel, a reputation which seemed plausible to Taehyung as he observed the way the prince carried himself. His arrogant aura could be felt all around the ring, his expression giving the impression that he was the most superior being that was gracing their presence. Uncontrollably, Taehyung’s eyes shifted back to the princess, curious to see if she exuded the same ignorant aura as her brother. He was slightly relieved to see that she did not.

The two of them were like night and day. Mingyu was dark clouds and hazy fog while Chaeyoung was sunshine with occasional gusts of wind. She was poise and elegance, whereas he was brawn and arrogance. His eyes were filled with mischief while hers radiated kindness. She smiled at her people with humility while he rejected their attention with icy glares. His whole being seemed to quiver with hate while hers was buzzing with love and beauty.

Perhaps, in her hands, their country would not be so doomed. This thought crossed Taehyung’s mind briefly before he shook it away to focus on the task at hand: winning this tournament. All other thoughts and all other goals would have to wait.

~{❀}~

Chaeyo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter