Ilsan

Queen of Roses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taehyung was not exaggerating. Every single part of Chaeyoung’s body did ache when she arose the morning after their first training session. Any slight movement provoked a sharp shooting pain to travel like lightning bolts throughout her entire body and she was fairly certain she would never walk normally again. Riding on a horse for the entire day had only aggravated matters.

And yet, here she was, standing in front of Taehyung for round two.

“Are you feeling okay?” Taehyung raised a brow as he stretched his arms, his eyes glittering with amusement as they so often did when he looked at her.

“Yes,” Chaeyoung lied, “never been better.”

“Really?” he grinned, obviously not convinced, and then took a few intimidating steps towards her, “not sore?”

She clenched her jaw but did not retreat from his intense gaze the way she would have a couple days ago.

“Not at all.”

“Wonderful,” he flashed her a smug grin before pointing to the ground, “then, you wouldn’t mind beginning today’s training with 20 push ups?”

“I would love that,” she replied through gritted teeth and then dropped to the soft, grassy ground Taehyung had chosen to practice in that morning. Before she even got into the correct position, she could feel her muscles aching.

Playing the role of a ‘delicate’ princess all her life meant that Chaeyoung had always been cared for and lived a labour-free life. The fact that she had never experienced the pain of physical exertion until that day made her realize just how sheltered and fragile she was; those were not characteristics fit for a queen. This realization caused the sparks of determination in her to grow into a full blazing fire. She needed to be fearless, she needed to be strong – not just for herself, but for her people.

Somehow, she managed to pull off the 20 push-ups Taehyung had demanded of her, albeit an endless amount of shaking, a series of unwomanly grunts, and loads of pain. It may have taken her a long time to complete them, but she was still slightly proud as she finished the last one and slumped to the ground immediately afterwards.

She managed to peek up at Taehyung just in time to catch his impressed smile before he wiped it away with his default cold expression.

“Congratulations,” he said sarcastically while glancing at the sunny sky, “it only took you until sundown, but you have successfully completed the first exercise.”

Chaeyoung grabbed a handful of grass and soil and threw it at him from where she was trying to catch her breath on the cool ground.

“Shut up, it didn’t take that long.”

He deftly dodged the storm of grass and soil with an amused grin before walking over to a rock-filled area of the lush forest, no doubt expecting her to follow. With a heavy sigh, and with her muscles still burning, she got up and walked towards him.

“The next exercise will be like hitting two birds with one stone—”

Chaeyoung gasped in mock horror, “what kind of monster would hit a bird with a stone?”

He gave her an unimpressed look before continuing, “if you interrupt me again, I will be forced to punish you.”

Chaeyoung began to laugh but immediately stopped upon seeing his completely serious and slightly angry expression.

“Wow, did someone wake up on the wrong side of the forest this morning?” she asked, using the same expression he had used on her yesterday.

“Chaeyoung—” he exhaled deeply and closed his eyes like his patience was on the verge of combusting.

“Okay, okay,” she put her hands up in front of her in defeat, “I apologize. Please continue, seonsaeng-nim (teacher).”

“Don’t call me that,” he said sternly, but the subtle softening of his expression gave away his amusement.

“Then, what should I call you?” she asked, taking a step closer and keeping her eyes locked on his, “oppa?”

His brows shot up in surprise, and he gulped. If Chaeyoung wasn’t mistaken, he seemed a little bit flustered. She had never seen him so taken aback and felt slightly proud of herself for invoking this new sensation in him. It made her feel like she was in control for once. It also made her brave – brave enough to take another step forward.

She was now standing close enough to him that she could feel his warm body heat radiating towards her own. He was still staring at her with wide eyes, rendered speechless, and his body stiffer than a log of wood. She smiled in satisfaction before her eyes lingered to the small, reddened area on the left side of his neck.

Before she could even think properly, her hand automatically gravitated towards it.

“Sorry about this,” she murmured, her fingers lightly grazing the inflamed skin that had felt so soft and warm on her lips the previous night, “does it hurt?”

She met his gaze again and instantly regretted it upon seeing his intense expression. There was something in his eyes – an emotion she could not quite decipher – that kept her captivated and unable to look away. She, herself, was feeling a whirlwind of emotions, but that was nothing new. Her heart pounded to a quick, deafening tempo and a fluttering filled her stomach as he looked at her with those large, glittering eyes.

Another split-second later, and Taehyung had already snapped out of it, taking a step backwards and shaking his head.

“That will be all for today’s practice,” he announced, his tone final as he began walking away towards the narrow path leading back to the campground.

Chaeyoung turned to stare at his back, her eyes widening in surprise at his sudden shift in mood. 

“But, we barely did anything!” she protested.

“I can tell you’re sore, so you can take today to rest,” he called out to her without turning back.

She sighed and reluctantly followed him back towards the rest of the group, wondering how in the world he had known she was sore and hoping she had not just ruined her chances of ever learning to fight.

He walked ahead of her, his pace brisk and firm as she tried and failed to keep up. Every time she would quicken her steps to match his, he would walk even faster. His standoffish attitude was igniting a fire of frustration in her that only he could invoke. He was a rollercoaster of emotions, a puzzling code to crack, a constant state of tugging and pulling. Chaeyoung decided she had had enough of it.

When she finally managed to catch up to him, they had already entered the clearing where the rest of the group was beginning to pack up their belongings in preparation for the day’s journey.

“What is wrong with you?” she demanded, tugging at his sleeve to gain his attention. With her peripheral vision, she could see Lisa and Yoongi turn to stare at them, enjoying the drama, while Jisoo and Seokjin continued to gather the shelter material – but she didn’t care, someone needed to talk some sense into Taehyung. Unfortunately, she was probably the only one who could attempt such a ridiculous thing.

He finally halted in place before slowly turning around to face her, his expression as stoic as ever.

“I think it would be best if you continued your training with Yoongi,” he replied calmly, completely ignoring her question, “in order for all of us to achieve our goals, we must maintain a strictly professional relationship and set firm boundaries.”

“Don’t you think it’s a little late for that?” Yoongi called out with a bemused chuckle from behind them, “I mean she’s already had her lips all over your neck.”

“Shut up!” Lisa and Jisoo simultaneously snapped at him.

Chaeyoung tuned out the voices of her other companions as confusion and anger simmered together in her chest over Taehyung’s sudden, cold attitude.

“I wasn’t aware that our relationship was anything more than ‘professional’?” she raised a brow at Taehyung, trying to maintain a demeanor as calm as his.

“It isn’t,” he replied simply, “and it never will be.”

Automatically, and before she could mask it, hurt flashed across her face. It only lasted for a split-second though – short enough that s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter