Busan

Queen of Roses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Witnessing the reunion of Irene and her missing courtesans was like watching a long-lost estranged family find each other again after years of separation and anguish. They wept and embraced and laughed and rejoiced all at once.

Taehyung stood back and simply watched all these emotions unfold before him, feeling an unexpected surge of pride and warmth fill his chest. Growing up under such rough and poor conditions, he had rarely had the chance to focus his energy on anything other than his own survival, his own well-being – but there was a certain, invaluable sense of contentment that accompanied helping others. A feeling he had only recently begun to discover, one Chaeyoung had made him understand.

“I have already prepared your ships,” Irene said, gesturing towards the four ships that stood proudly along the ocean shore, “the weapons and your horses were too heavy to fit on one, so you can take these four ships first and come back for the others afterwards. You would not want to scare the Busan soldiers with 10 approaching warships all at once … unless your aim is to appear terrifying.”

“Well, that is arguably always my aim,” Yoongi commented proudly, but Irene no longer paid much attention to his sarcastic comments, having spent only a few days with the team and already used to his personality.

Instead, she turned to smile at Chaeyoung. “Thank you for all you have done, and an early congratulations for the battle I am sure you will win. If you ever require anything, never hesitate to write me a letter. Not to boast or anything, but I happen to possess useful information about anything and everything that occurs in this country.”

“In other words,” Seokjin whispered loudly to Chaeyoung, literally hiding nothing, “she is a boss .”

Irene threw him a small, amused smile while the rest of the group chuckled in mild embarrassment.

“Who don’t need no man—” Seokjin continued but was cut off by an annoyed Yoongi.

“Okay, that’s enough.” He pulled Seokjin back towards the ships as the rest of the group bid their farewells to Irene and her ladies.

Taehyung bit his lip to hide a smile at the comical scene in front of him. Although Seokjin tended to annoy him to death, he also managed to brighten any tense situation with his cringey and usually inappropriate humour. Often, he left the group stunned with the ridiculousness of his words, but Taehyung could no longer picture any adventure without him.

As the courtesans began hugging and praising Chaeyoung, he turned around to follow Yoongi and Seokjin towards the dock when one of the ladies suddenly blocked his path.

“Taehyung,” she nodded at him as a greeting, causing his eyes to widen in surprise. She met his gaze with insightful, deep-emerald eyes, and whispered, “seek victory and you will gain weakness, look for a weakness and you shall be granted victory.”

Taehyung barely had time to register the fact that she knew his name, let alone her confusing words. Before he could even open his mouth, she had rejoined the rest of her group. Swivelling around, he watched her walk away with furrowed brows.

“How did that woman know my name?” he asked when Chaeyoung finally walked over to him.

She followed his gaze in surprise before understanding dawned on her face, “ahh, because she’s psychic.”

He threw her an unimpressed, disbelieving look, “very funny.”

“No, it’s true,” she stated with wide, innocent eyes as they began walking towards the ship.

Taehyung hid an amused smile, “you’re telling me she used her magical powers to figure out my name and confuse me with riddles?”

“Precisely.”

He laughed, as they stepped onto one of the ships. Immediately, he began to steer away as Yoongi took control of another ship, Jimin following closely behind on a separate one, and Taeyong driving the remaining one. Glancing up at the horizon, he sighed deeply at the breathtaking view. Dawn had snuck up on them earlier than expected, intertwined streaks of coral and pink peeking out from tufts of charcoal clouds to only fade into the rest of the still sleeping, indigo sky.

Then, he looked down at where Chaeyoung stood beside him, her eyes focused on the sunrise in wonder as loose strands of her dark-chestnut hair blew freely with the flow of the morning wind. His breath caught. For a moment he simply gazed at her. The elegance of her posture, the contrast of her pale, smooth skin against her jet-black, silk dress, the twinkle in her sincere eyes, the bridge of her nose, the fullness of her slightly parted lips. He had never seen a sight more exquisite. Even the beauty of the sunrise had paled drastically in comparison to hers.

When he finally regained the ability to look away, Taehyung bent down to collect one of the fur blankets that laid beside his feet.

“Come here.” He gently held her wrist, only feeling slightly guilty for interrupting her deep thoughts as he pulled her to stand in front of him. She allowed him to wrap the blanket around her shivering shoulders and then leaned back against his chest with a content smile as he replaced his hands on the steering wheel in front of her.

“I had my fortune read,” she murmured, “she said I would end up with the one I want.”

He grinned. Perhaps the fortune teller should be trusted after all.

“And who is it that you want?”

“Hmm,” she played along, pretending to be deep in thought, “someone tall, dark, and handsome with broad shoulders, a captivating voice, and a kind heart.”

“You want Kim Seokjin?” He gasped, causing her to laugh and smack his arm in frustration.

She tilted her head back slightly to throw him a smirk, “she also said I am destined for two men, that I have two soulmates.”

His expression darkened, his jaw clenching against his will. If she was trying to annoy him, it was working. Too well.

“I never believed in those fake fortunes, anyway,” he almost pouted as he glared out into the horizon.

She laughed, throwing her head back to hit his chest lightly, “is someone a little jealous?”

Suddenly, he let go of the steering wheel to wrap his arms around her waist, causing her to gasp as he pulled her closer.

“I’m not jealous, I’m territorial,” he murmured in her ear, “jealousy is wanting something that isn’t yours, territorial is protecting something that is already yours.”

She scoffed, repeating the line he had used on her last night, “but we’re not even together.”

“ that,” he rested his chin on her shoulder and tightened his hold, “you’re mine. Until the sun stops rising and the world stops spinning, you are mine.”

A comfortable silence filled the air as they stood there, neither of them denying that blatant fact, their souls content by simply existing together in that calm moment. He wasn’t sure how much time had passed when he finally broke the silence.

“I owe you an apology,” he muttered against her hair, closing his eyes briefly to wash away the painful memory from his mind, “I’m sorry about what I said at the masquerade, I didn’t mean it –”

“I know,” she whispered, “thankfully, you’re a terrible liar. I didn’t believe you for one second.”

“Still, I should have never said it. I hurt you and for that I deserve a punishment worse than death.”

Chaeyoung swiveled around abruptly to face him, her hands placed on her hips in an angry gesture that appeared cuter than she had likely intended. Taehyung had to conjure all his willpower to not smile.

“You know what, you are absolutely right, you do deserve to be punished. Close your eyes.”

Taehyung could not help but laugh at that point but followed her command immediately, his eyes squeezed shut.

“So, what’s it going to be? A slap, a punch, a smack? A bucket of ice water thrown over my head? I will allow the use of any weapon except a bow and arrow—”

He was shocked, instead, to feel the soft touch of her lips on his cheek. His eyes flew wide open as he stared at her in astonishment.

“This your punishment for always trying to push me towards the right path even when that direction is on the exact opposite trajectory as yours,” she whispered, gazing up at him and causing his heart to nearly combust.

Then, she brushed her lips against his other cheek, “this one is for constantly inflicting pain upon yourself with the intention of always doing what’s best for me.”

He had subconsciously wrapped his arms around her, his body automatically responding to her proximity and relishing her touch. Whenever she was this near, he lost the ability to think clearly – his world seemingly revolving around her and her alone.

“And this,” she breathed against his lips, “this is your punishme

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter