Wishes

Queen of Roses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jennie hated this time of year. So many lights and lanterns decorating their town in a futile attempt to mask its tragically worn-down state while simultaneously blinding her. Thousands of citizens squished in a small, confined area laughing and pretending all was right in the world when the entire country was in shambles. Don't even get her started on the 'music' the less than qualified musicians had been playing for the past 2 hours. She would rather be almost anywhere else. 

Sure, there were some aspects of the festival she didn't entirely loathe, like dressing up in her most fashionable outfits and making use of the gorgeous natural assets she had been blessed with; her fierce eyes and attractive figure, just to name a few. However, seeing the people she loved most smile was by far the highlight of her night. 

Glancing at her parents dancing in front of the musicians while Taehyung's parents endlessly mocked them, Jimin flirting with Lisa under a tree (and using his cat as an excuse – how typical), Yoongi smirking as he picked another argument with Jisoo, and Taehyung appearing more relaxed and content than she had ever seen, she couldn't help but smile as well. 

She supposed she could put up with all the annoyance for one night. Maybe it would be worth it. 

Or maybe not. 

"Hey Jennie!" Seokjin called out, dodging his way through the colourfully dressed crowd while pulling Taeyong behind him with a rope tied securely around his waist as if it were a leash. 

Jennie whipped around immediately and began to run in the opposite direction, anticipating danger when she saw the desperation in Seokjin's eyes. But, the long-legged man-boy had already reached her before she could even attempt to avoid him. 

"No!" Jennie exclaimed, crossing her arms over her chest and glaring daggers at him, "absolutely not."You 

She knew exactly what this was about, and she was not succumbing to peer pressure again. She was done babysitting. 

"But-" 

 

"No."

 

"Jennie-"

 

"I said no!" 

 

"You don't even know what I'm going to say," he said in exasperation when Jennie finally allowed him to get a word in. 

 

Jennie rolled her eyes, "you're going to ask me to watch mr. hostage over there as you go cook or eat or both."

 

He scoffed and crossed his arms too, mirroring her posture, "wrong."

 

"Then, what do you want?" she snapped, "stop wasting my time Jinsuck."

 

"It's Seokjin," he snapped right back, and Jennie didn't know whether to smack him or laugh at the sass he was blatantly showing her. 

 

"You stand corrected. I was going to ask you to watch mr. hostage while I go and feed the pond ducks."

 

Jennie groaned in frustration, "and I already told you I'm not doing it. Get one of your people to watch him. He's not my responsibility."

 

"Look around, Jennifer," he raised his hands and waved around the area dramatically, "everyone is busy doing something enjoyable with their lives. You're the only one who's doing absolutely nothing. Frankly, you should be thanking me because I think you could really benefit from his company."

 

Jennie was so shocked that he had called her 'Jennifer' that she just gaped at him for a few seconds, dumbfounded. Unfortunately, she realized in that moment that Seokjin was smarter than he looked, because he wasted no time taking advantage of the situation. And before she knew it, he had dropped the rope into her hands and disappeared into the crowd. 

 

"That's not even my name!" she called after him, but he was already gone. 

 

Jennifer was something Taehyung called her when he wanted to be extra annoying, because he knew it bothered her. Apparently, one other had also picked up on that fact. 

 

"That's disappointing," Taeyong muttered sarcastically, "Jennifer is a much ier name."

 

Jennie finally turned towards the man who had been torturing her to no end for the past few days, simply by existing. She was about to snap at him but stopped herself when she noticed the dark circles under his eyes and the tiredness displayed all over his face. He looked like death. 

 

"Damn, what did they do to you?" she pursed her lips together to contain her laughter. 

 

Never in a million years would she have expected Lisa and Seokjin to have a knack for torturing people. But, as she had come to learn, stranger things had happened. 

 

"I don't wanna talk about it," he sighed, and Jennie actually allowed herself to chuckle at how defeated he appeared. 

 

"I think Lisa and Seokjin may have broken you," she laughed. 

 

He glared at her, his sharp jaw set firmly in place, "it's not funny."

 

She continued to laugh, trying to picture just what the two of them did to convert all the rage within this evil man into pure exhaustion, "it's a little funny. I have to admit I severely underestimated them. I mean, it doesn't look like they physically harmed you, so just what did they do?"

 

"Untie me from these restraints and maybe I'll tell you."

 

Her laughter immediately ceased, and she stared at him, unimpressed, "nice try."

 

She began walking through the crowd, tugging on the rope and dragging him behind her

 

"I find it quite unethical how there are thousands of people here right now and literally none of them are concerned that you are dragging a tied up, grown man around," he stated firmly, causing Jennie to roll her eyes. 

 

"Ya well, this is a pretty unjudgmental town. Trust me, stranger things have happened here."

 

She stopped next to the field where the archery competition was being held, tying the end of the rope to a nearby tree before plopping down on the grass. 

 

 "Like?" He sat down next to her, the rope keeping them a safe distance apart. 

 

She turned towards him with an excited smile, "well, Yoongi was telling us the other day—" 

 

Then she realized who she was speaking to and immediately stopped. She didn't know what had gotten into her. For a brief moment she had forgotten that it wasn't a normal man who was sitting next to her, but a serial killer who was loyal to the corrupt king. A man who would most likely kill her the first chance he got. 

 

She rose from her seat in an instant and clenched her jaw, "you're a hostage."

 

It was supposed to be an internal reminder for herself that she wasn't planning on stating out loud, but of course her lips had formed the words before she could control it. And of course, he had to respond to it. 

 

"Thank you, I'm aware," he replied sarcastically. 

 

"I can't talk to you. We're not friends," she stated firmly. 

 

"Good," he said calmly, and then grinned, "because I was hoping we could be so much more."

 

Jennie groaned in frustration. She had recently discovered that the most a man had ever given her was a headache. Now with this hostage's flirting, her torture was bound to increase exponentially. 

 

"I need a drink," she muttered, leaving him there all alone as she stomped away towards the nearest jug of wine she could find. 

 

~{❀}~

 

"I swear, if you cheat," Jisoo warned as she got into position in front of the clearly marked line on the road. 

 

Behind her stood 11 of the strongest people she could find in Daegu, forming a well-organized row. 

 

Yoongi scoffed, standing in front of her with his team prepared behind him, "I never cheat."

 

She had to admit, the aggressiveness and intensity radiating from the other side of the rope was a little daunting. One would argue that this whole thing was unfair, given the fact that Yoongi already had knowledge of and close ties with the strongest people in the town, but she was ready to defy all the odds that were stacked against her. She was going to win this tug-of-war game fair and square.

 

After all, there was a lot riding on this one match. If he won, not only would she have to endure the humiliation that his gloating would trigger, but she would also be forced to go on a date with him as well. But, if she won, he would never be allowed to speak of their embarrassing encounter and she would finally be free. 

 

It was a risk she had to take. 

 

"Alright everyone, on your marks," Namjoon's voice called out, silencing the crowd of spectators that had gathered to watch the much-anticipated challenge as he stood in front of Jisoo and Yoongi with an air of authority. 

 

Yoongi raised a brow at Jisoo in amusement, "since when did N

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter