Infuriating

Queen of Roses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Goryeo, Spring 1016 (19 years later)

The palace was both a home and a prison to Chaeyoung. This thought suddenly occurred to her as she stood outside the King’s chambers, awaiting approval for entrance. An entourage of four court maids led by her personal attendant and closest companion, Lalisa, followed her every step. Although on most occasions, she very much enjoyed their company, being princess made it difficult to obtain any time to herself. And she never failed to acquire a headache from the thousands of pins that kept her long, russet-brown hair in place

“Her royal highness, Princess Chaeyoung,” the court herald announced before the thin, wooden doors of the King’s chambers slid open.

She took slow, careful steps inside, maintaining the perfect posture and poise required of a royal lady. Upon seeing her father sitting in front of her, a subtle smile peeked through her composed expression before she greeted him with a graceful bow.

The king glanced up from the scroll he was engrossed in to manage a nod towards her, “yes, Princess? To what do I owe this pleasure?”

“Pardon the interruption father, but-“

His expression suddenly become stern, “you cannot call me that.”

“But you are my father,” Chaeyoung blurted before she could control herself. She was aware that titles meant everything in the kingdom, but it had always created a meaningless distance between everyone. Respect was mandatory when addressing the nobles, conversations between the commoners and the nobles were minimal if not completely absent, and levels of formality even existed among family members. With these circumstances, it was almost impossible to form close relations with anybody!

“I am the king first, and your father second.”

Chaeyoung said nothing for a while, her clenched jaw the only symbol of her growing anger. She should not allow such words to pierce her heart time and time again, but she could not help it. She was extremely sensitive and let her emotions get the best of her more times than was socially acceptable. Her father had always told her it was her greatest weakness.

She had a sudden urge to aim an equally harsh comment back at him. One along the lines of “well, you would not have been King if the general at the time had not assassinated your grandfather and placed you there”. But she could not say such a thing, partly because she would not see the light of day for the next year as punishment, and partly because despite everything, she did not wish to hurt her father.

She exhaled silently, reigning in her emotions and rephrasing her words obediently, “Forgive me, your majesty,” there was a slight bitterness underlying her tone, but her father generously ignored it, “I have come to seek permission to leave the palace for half a day to visit the market.”

The fact that she was even required to seek permission for such a simple matter was ridiculous, in her opinion. However, this was her father’s palace and she was just living in it.

“Have you finished your reading assignment for the day?” the King raised a brow at her.

“Yes.” She would not be there if she hadn’t, education always remaining her foremost priority. Sometimes, she speculated why he was teaching her so much about governance and philosophy when her brother, Mingyu, was expected to rule after him. However, unlike most women her age, she actually enjoyed reading Confucius’s teachings, so she never complained.

He did not look in the least bit surprised to hear that, making Chaeyoung internally question why he had even asked. Perhaps? No, it couldn’t be. Perhaps he simply wished to extend their conversation by making small talk?

“And the marriage proposal? Have you given it some more thought?”

Chaeyoung almost groaned out loud at that. The royal secretary’s son, Jung Jaehyun, had sent a formal proposal of marriage to the palace a few nights prior and the thought had distressed her ever since. She had only ever seen him in passing. He seemed like a well-bred, pleasant man, and was admittedly handsome; however, the thought of marrying him had never once crossed her mind. She simply could not picture herself with him. Not to mention, he had half the kingdom pining over him, so she did not understand why he had his sights set on her.

“I am continuing to consider it, and will ensure to notify your majesty when I have made a decision.”

Her father once again fixed a stern expression on her, “what is there to consider? He is the natural match for you in the kingdom. A better offer may never come.”

She bit her lip before a curt response left it, bowing her head silently and waiting for him to finish his lecture so she could finally leave the confines of the palace.

“I will not make a decision for you, Chaeyoung, but you must consider everything before you make such a monumental decision,” with that he returned to reading his scroll and waved his hand dismissively, “however, you are granted permission to leave for half the day, so long as you take your attendants and guards with you.”

Chaeyoung bowed once more before rising from her seat and slowly making her exit. There was no way she was taking anyone with her. She desired – no, required – time to be alone for once.

“Your highness!” Lalisa groaned later as she watched Chaeyoung mount her beloved black horse, Midnight, “the King specifically said you must take us with you.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter