Chapter 13

The Red Crown
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 13: Step 3- witness: Jeno the Street Rat.

 

“so are you going to tell us what the lady said from last night?” Jaehyun asked impatiently as the boys were escorted to the governor's office to discuss the incident of last night. 

After leaving the brothel Taeyeon  had suggested to the others about returning home and rest as it was  getting very late now.

 

"wait aren't you going to tells what Madam Lurel told you?" Jaehyun inquired. Taeyeon hummed. " later" he mumbled. 

"for now let just rest and go home and Lit. Horald has to wake up early for his morning duties" he states looking toward the latter who smiled timidly. sympathetic to the little Lieutenant the two nobles concurred and decided to return and rest. 

 

"Thank you Lord Taeyeon" smiled the little soldier bowing his head which the three boys smiled "not to worry you done a lot for us tonight we wouldn't have what we know without Lit. Horald" Doyoung chimed grateful for the little lieutenant who assisted them even if it was forced upon him by lord Taeyeon.

as they arrived at the back of the house they were staying. Lit. Horald who insisted in escorting them back start biding them goodbye. "well this it thanks for everything Lit. Horald"  Jahyun chimed as he jumps and hangs on the wall, ready to climb over. 

"it's my honor, have a good night sleep my Lords until tomorrow " Lit.Horald bowed before running off in full speed.

"i get the feeling that boy has a curfew" Doyoung joked as other laughs concurring with him.

"Stop right there!!". suddenly an authoritative a voice shouted from behind them causing the three to halt and freeze.

and that was it, that how they were caught and was reported to the Governor and now they are being called for their bad behavior like children sent to the principles office to be reprimanded.

 


“…. I would have presumed you were the patient one lord Jaehyun, not Lord Doyoung” he states with a pause. Unsure it was a compliment or not Doyoung just let it slide since it was still bright and early. his more concern of the scolding they will be getting later.

“ he becomes impatient when he wants something” Doyoung snorts pulling Jaehyun back on his seat making the other pout and looks away.

Doyoung chuckles as he remembers Jaehyun sense for seeking things out and getting it done. The best attitude for someone who wants to be in the kings advisory.

“when will you tell us?” he asked turning to Taeyeon who didn’t answer right simply staring out the window.

“I will tell you, just not now” he whispered turning his outside again, Doyoung peered out curious what the latter was looking at but he saw nothing but trees and bushes.


Upon arriving at the Governor’s Office the boys made their way to his study where a very unpleased Governor seats. 

"was it true what a guard reported last night?" he asked once the boys sat down. " what report?" Taeyeon coaxed.

 

"that he caught the three of you escaping the house in the middle of the night!" he snaps banging his fist on his timber table. Taeyeon responded with an "ohed" sound and shrugged his shoulders before crossing his legs. Doyoung briefly sides glancing to Taeyeon sneering at his obvious attempt to anger the governor.

 

" Yes...Governor we did" he answers passively with a guilt look hoping it will lessen the governor fit. 

the governor frowns " why?" he growled. Jaehyun hesitantly explained in the calmest way he could. "we..we wanted to go out and see the village we thought it was the better way we can find information about the thugs..." he lied but not entirely.

the governor sighed " do you know the dangers you could have been? news has already spread of your arrival if thugs find you, they'll use you against us" the governor shouted in frustration.

 

the boys remain silent which was best, seeing how irritated and irrational the governor was being.  letting out a grumble and a sigh the governor takes out a piece of paper from his folder and slide it across them. " from now on you shall be bodyguarded at all times and you must follow these rules this will be your punishment " he says having his assistant pass them the paper.

“what bodyguards?,  Rules?” Doyoung yells reading the paper the governor have given them. “ but Governor?!” he whined at the older who remains indifferent.

 

“these rules are to ensure your safety.... we can't just have you walking around freely not after the stunt you did, you'll become easy targets” he asserts firmly.

“I understand your concern governor but these rules basically restricting us..in doing anything” Jaehyun argues as points out few of the rules.

“ like Rule 4 Young Lord must not live the governor's premises or their homes and Rule 16 young lords must not engage any public conversation or secret meeting without the governor approval…Governor, we can’t do anything” he argues with all this set of rules it impossible for them to get things done or solve anything in that manner.

 

“If we want us to have progressed, you must reconsider these rules” he reasoned as he pushed the paper back to him but Governor refused to budge he remains what he stands and says those rules stay and so will the bodyguards. 

“ unless you don’t want us to have any progress,” Doyoung says his eyes challenging the Governor.

 Jaehyun glances taking notice of Governor darkening expression he sneered as the older slowly gets up from his seat ready to bite back when Taeyeon stops between them.

“Alright that's enough” he cuts pausing the heavy atmosphere between them. “ Sorry Governor we’ll follow the rules don’t worry … so its best we be going, which is to the library to do research” he chipped pulling Jaehyun back to Doyoung who stood behind the latter. 

 

“will that be alright ….Governor?” he muttered very lowly in such a way that Doyoung thinks he was demanding the approval which the governor approved.

“Fine you can go, the guards assigned to you is already outside ” he sneered waving his hand, shooing them off. frustrating as it was Doyung wanted to argue back but the dark presence Taeyeon was giving off something told him it better to hold it in then make a fuss.

and so with heavy feet, the boys turn and leave but as they were leaving the Governor made one last snarky remark.

“ I hope you remember your in my village and as governor what I say, goes” he stated slumming down to his seat with an arrogant smirk on his old faces. when Jaehyun saw that he was fuming inside, was what he heard from his father a lie? that the new governor was a kind and generous man, this man here is no kind and generous man, he is acting like one of those people that only show their good side to people he can gain something from and act horrible to those useless to him.


“of course…and I do hope you know who we are and what we came for governor” Taeyeon counters his voice laced like venom as he pushes the others out of his office before the Governor could say anything.

the boys made their way to his library Doyoung and Jaehyun were still furious about thier punishment.

“what are we kids!?” Doyoung grumbled as he stumps his way to the governor library with two guards following behind them. Jaehyun shakes his head glaring back at the guards behind them.


“settle down… no matter how much we hate this we just can't go snapping at someone like that especially to a governor were under his watch and were lucky enough to have a minor punishment”, Jaehyun says patting Doyoung back trying to calm the latter down. Doyoung let out a huff and turn back to Taeyeon who been quite all this while.

Was he ok with all this?. Doyoung thought as they arrived in the library. Doyoung and jaehyun entered first but as Taeyeon steps in he stops and tells the guard to wait outside.

“we're ordered to follow where ever you go,” one guard says Taeyeon turn to him.

“please we're just staying in here to study you don’t have to worry besides its the third floor where else will we go” he pointed out as he holds the knob of the door.

“we seriously need some privacy you guys don’t have to worry will be good little nobles and stay in here” he says but the guard remains firm and shakes their heads.

 

"we are told to-" one guard starts but halts when cold and heavy oppressed him he glazed down to Taeyeon and saw just a shade of light cast down him just enough for the two guards to see the sinister sharp eyes that pierced from underneath his hood.

"I said we want privacy...do you understand?" he mumbled lowly his voice coated in warning not to go against him. the guard started sweating their hands getting clammy, they were completely scared of him. visibly gulping the two nodded their heads, in that instant, his cold and oppressing presence dissipated and return back to normal.

“great call us out when the evening bell rings” he chimed before closing the door shut letting the guards breath no realizing they been holding their breaths the whole time.

"what the hell was that?!," one guard say patting his chest. his partner wiping his sweat shook his head " no idea but it was like a lion was preying on us or something" he quoted shiver

Please log in to read the full chapter