Chapter 16

Lease Of Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

WENDY'S POV

I woke up, because of the loud sound. When I raised my head, I understood that everything that happened some hours ago wasn't a dream. So here I am still sitting in the corner of a basement. Tiffany was sitting in another corner. She haven't tried to talk to me, so I thought that it will be better not to talk at all. I still couldn't believe that Soojung was a fox all that time. She made me trust her to lock me here and wait for some Junmyeon, who is, as I understood, the main pain in my . Though I hope Joohyun is alive and she is actually Joohyun, who is Irene's sister, not Jisoo, who served jail time. It was Soojung, who told me everything this, but she betrayed me, so I hope she lied about Joohyun's death. 

I looked at the door when someone opened it. Of course it was one and only Soojung, but she wasn't alone.

"I brought you your friend," Soojung said and pushed someone inside.

At first I couldn't recognize who it was, so Tiffany was the first one to do that before I could do so.

"Seulgi!" She shouted and ran to her, actually my, friend. 

Soojung rolled her eyes and left the room, locking the door. 

"What the hell just happened?" Seulgi asked, looking very scared. I don't think that she noticed me, because I was sitting in the corner, and it was dark here. I was thinking if I should show myself, but then I decided to wait for her to calm down.

"Junmyeon told Soojung to leave us, and do everything by herself," Tiffany explained, patting Seulgi's head. How nice of her. 

"Are they going to kill us?" Seulgi's voice almost cracked. I felt sorry for her. I know that I lost my memory, but I realized that she was a coward. Well, everyone will be like this.

"No," Tiffany lied. We perfectly knew that we will all die. But I think Tiffany did a right thing. Panicked people are unpredictable. 

"Where is Seungwan? Did you protect her?" It was obvious that Seulgi calmed down. A bit, but still. And what? That Tiffany was supposed to protect me? If you call that a protection then I am a fool. 

"S-she is here," Tiffany whispered, but I still could hear her. 

Seulgi opened her eyes wide.

"What?!" She shouted. "They will kill her, Soojung will kill her! While we are talking here Seungwan can be in danger."

"Hey, wait, calm down," Tiffany took Seulgi's arm in case the latter will try to get out of here. "She is here."

"You told that twice already," Seulgi furrowed. "We need to find her. Get up and help me to think how to get out of here."

Dumbear indeed. I decided to show up, because Seulgi looked like she will get a mental breakdown soon. 

"I'm here," I said and stood up.

Seulgi looked at me like I was a ghost. Her eyes were wide opened just as . Then she quickly ran to me and tightly hugged me.

"I thought that I lost you," she whispered and I realized that her whole body was shaking because of the fear. 

I wanted to say something like 'I'm okay, don't worry' but I wasn't okay. I knew almost nothing, so I understood that it's the time to ask her about everything.

"You will, if you won't spill the tea out already," Seulgi took a step back, confusedly looking at me. "I know that you and Tiffany are aware of that thing I'm my head. An implant. I want you to tell me everything. Don't you think that I deserve to know that?"

Seulgi signed and looked back at Tiffany, who slowly nodded. 

"Well, it started like half a year ago?" Seulgi looked at Tiffany and the latter nodded again. "Yeah, half a year ago. I was checking if you have some disorders, because I cared. You are my best friend after all. I found out that your grandfather had Alzheimer's. So I was afraid that you have that too. I asked you to visit the hospital and you did so, not even asking me for what. You trusted me. So then the doctor told me that your possibility of having Alzheimer's in the future is 73 per cent."

I raised my eyebrow, because what? My parents haven't told me that my grandfather had Alzheimer's. Well, we lived in Canada, and my grandparents lived in Korea. I didn't know them well. 

"I was afraid of this, so I asked Tiffany to help me, because she works in SM. She offered me to involve you in the upcoming project that can help people with neurodegenerative disorders. It was the last chance to save you from Alzheimer's, so I agreed. They put an implant in your brain, created new memories and cleaned your past memories. So you forgot me. Tiffany haven't told me that you won't remember me, so I was kinda upset, but they said that it helped you. Day by day your possibility of having neurodegenerative disorder becomes lower. I was happy, really happy for you. I'm sorry for stalking you and Joohyun, but I needed to be sure that everything is okay. You are the only one with that successful result, so Junmyeon told Tiffany to keep her eyes on you, and she asked me to do so. Seungwan, I'm really sorry."

I think it was the first time when she called me by my real name, so I was a bit took off guard. Maybe she called me like this before, I don't remember. It took me a minute to proceed what have Seulgi told me. 

"Soojung-" I whispered. "Were we really friends?"

"Yes, you were," Seulgi replied. "She moved here and you two became neighbors and friends. At first I was jealous, but then you introduced her to me, and we all began to hang out together."

Well, at least she haven't told me lies about this. I sighed, thinking about my next question. 

"Can you return my memories?" I asked. 

Tiffany approached to us, before Seulgi could answer.

"No," Tiffany replied. "As long as this implant is in your brain, we can't return your memories."

"Then take it away," I said. I don't need fake memories, I need my real memories back.

"It's complicated, Seungwan," Tiffany began explaining. "The surgery on brain is quite risky. And if we will take this out, then the possibility of having Alzheimer's is higher. This implant controls your neurons, their life and work. We have already messed your brain up, so the possibility won't stop at 73 per cent, it will be even higher. I don't think that you want to risk."

I hesitated.

"I want to try," I finally said.

"No!" Seulgi argued. "I won't let you to do so!"

Tiffany looked troubled. 

"Listen, Seungwan, it's not the solution," She sighed. "We won't do anything to you anymore. The project failed. Well, actually it succeeded, but I sent to Junmyeon fake documents, so he thinks that it failed."

"They won't do anything anymore," Seulgi repeated and looked at me with her pleading eyes. "Please."

Before I could answer, the door was being opened. We looked at it and saw Soojung with two boys. One of them was a boy that wanted to shot me and Joohyun in the forest. I've never seen the second guy, but he looked like Byulyi. Well, his face did.

"Baekhyun, tie Tiffany, and Minseok, tie Seulgi," Soojung ordered and approached to me with a rope. "Soojung, tie Seungwan."

I wanted to punch her, but before I could raise my hand, she grabbed my hands and pushed me to the wall. I didn't know that she is that strong. I should work

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter