Chapter 12

Lease Of Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wendy was sitting on the bed in her bedroom. She was searching the information about neurodegenerative disorders: Parkinson's and Alzheimer's. Yesterday, when she talked to Byulyi, she have found nothing new. So Wendy thought about two things. First, Byulyi actually is involved in this mess, and she knew where Irene is, but pretend like she didn't. Second, Byulyi knows nothing and she is a victim as well as Wendy.

The brunette's thoughts were interrupted by Joohyun who rushed in Wendy's room without a knock. 

"Turn on the TV," Joohyun quickly ordered and sat on the bed next to Wendy.

The latter decided not to ask why and grabbed the remote control. She pressed the red button, and there was a news program on the TV. Just when Wendy was going to ask something, she saw a video of a car falling into the river Han. 

"Today in the morning the car exploded and fell in the river Han. The police now is trying to find the car and it's driver's body," the woman explained. "The car belongs to a psychologist, who worked in Eunpyeong-gu, Bulgwang-ro 153, Moon Byulyi. The reason of this accident is unknown. We inform you if we'll find something more."

Wendy saw Byulyi's picture on the TV.  The words 'exploded', 'fell', 'driver's body' and 'a psychologist Moon Byulyi' were spinning in her head. She didn't know why but she felt like she killed Byulyi. And it was the worst feeling ever. 

"What were you two talking about yesterday?" Joohyun carefully asked, patting Wendy's back.

"I asked her about Irene," Wendy replied, looking at nothing. She felt herself so empty. "She said that she don't know anything about Irene."

Joohyun stayed quiet, she wanted to comfort Wendy, because she kinda knew how Wendy felt. And when Joohyun was about to hug Wendy, the latter's phone rang. 

The blonde in the past coughed and looked at the screen. She saw the name, that she hated a little, so she left Wendy's room without saying anything.

Wendy grabbed her phone and sighed.

"Hey, Soojung," she greeted.

"Have you saw the news?" Spojung asked, sounding extremely worried.

"Yes, I have," Wendy sighed again. She felt like she didn't have anything inside her. Just black hole. 

"Let's meet right now," Soojung offered.

"Why can't we talk like this?"

"Your apartment looks like there's a treasure, someone sees everything and do you really want to talk like this?" Soojung argued. She sounded more aggressive than usual. "Meet me in the same place. Take Joohyun with if you want."

"Okay," Wendy replied and hung up.

When they stopped talking, Wendy heard Joohyun slamming the door of her room. She furrowed, because she wanted to go there with Joohyun, but the eldest made it clear that she will stay at home. Wendy knew that Joohyun didn't like Soojung, but she didn't know the reason. Actually she rarely spent time with Joohyun now, because she is always busy. Joohyun was busy too. And Wendy missed that time when everything was perfectly fine in their relationship. She hoped that everything will be alright soon so she dressed and left her apartment.

-

Soojung met Wendy in the cafe as usual. She looked tired but better than Wendy. They shared sad smiles and took their seats.

"So let's discuss it right now," Soojung said. "I think Byulyi's death and Irene's disappearance is connected. Byulyi was killed right after you confronted her, isn't that strange?"

If Wendy felt bad before, so after this statement she felt super bad. Knowing that someone was killed because of you makes everything worse. But Wendy admitted that it's strange. She agreed with Soojung, slowly nodding.

"I'm not saying that it's your fault. You just wanted to find Irene, that's all," Soojung took Wendy's hand. "It's not your fault."

Wendy smiled and thanked Soojung.

"Thank you," she didn't feel better now, but she was glad that she has that friend like Soojung. "When I met Byulyi I saw her, Tiffany."

Soojung seemed a bit frightened, but soon she changed her face expression.

"Tiffany?" Soojung asked and Wendy nodded. "She may have listened to your conversation with Byulyi and killed her."

"What?" Wendy was really shocked. She thought that Byulyi was good friends with Tiffany. Or it was only an act. "Well, it made sense."

"So everything is connected with that Tiffany," Soojung stated and wrote something in her phone. "I'll try to find something about Tiffany today."

"Thank you again," Wendy said and looked at Soojung, who was smiling at her.

"I want you to buy a gun," Soojung suddenly blurted out.

"Excuse me?" 

"You heard right. I want you to have a gun," Soojung repeated. "I'm worried that you might get hurt. You need to have something to protect yourself in any case."

Wendy hesitated. A gun is not a toy. She didn't want to kill anybody. But she suddenly thought about Joohyun. The blonde in the past will be glad if Wendy will buy a gun. With that she nodded.

After some minutes they were standing in the shop of weapons. It looked like Soojung knew everything about guns and that stuff, because while Wendy was awkwardly standing in the shop, Soojung was arguing with the owner of this shop, who turned out to be her friend.

"I think thirty eighth will be alright," Soojung's friend, Amber, said.

"Are you kidding?" Soojung laughed. "Too big for her. Let's take thirty fifth."

Amber looked at Soojung with a shocked face, but left them to bring a gun. When Amber showed to Wendy the gun, Wendy thought that it must be a bazooka. She took a gun and realize

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter