SIX

Monster

Donghae's POV;

Things happened too fast. One second I was looking at Kyuhyun and Sungmin being so close, and their faces were flushed. But that wasn't the point, I saw fangs on Kyuhyun. The next second, I'm watching everything pass by me in a blur. I closed my eyes and clutched tightly onto whoever was holding me. Eunhyuk? Wait, how-? I tried to make sense of everything, but moving so fast made my head hurt so I gave up and just relaxed.

After what seemed like a minute, everything stopped and Eunhyuk put me down on a sofa. I looked around me, it was an apartment. A small and tidy apartment which I assume must be Eunhyuk's. I had a million questions running through my mind, I did not know which to ask first. Did I even want to know? This must be another weird dream of mine. I shut my eyes and starting shaking my head, even pinching my cheeks hard so that I would wake up. However, it hurts and I let out a soft whimper as I pouted.

I felt surprised when a hand reached out to caress my cheek. I looked up with widened eyes and felt my heart beating a thousand times faster. 

Eunhyuk immediately retracted his hands, he looked a little amused but faked a cough, "a-are you crazy or stupid? Of course it would hurt if you pinch yourself so hard. And of course this is not a dream."

"S-so w-what is K-Kyuhyun? A-and what a-are you?" My cheeks still felt warm from his hands and my heart hasn't stop beating like crazy. I couldn't stop staring at him as well.

"Ah.." He placed a hand behind his neck and looked at the floor, like he was feeling awkward or uncomfortable. "I'm still not sure if Kyuhyun is a Vampire, but I am one." When he lifted his head to face me again, his lips were slightly parted, revealing his fangs. 

My jaw dropped and I stood up, reaching my hand towards him. Eunhyuk looked a little surprised but he stood still. With my index finger, I poked one of his fangs. "Woah! This is amazing! It's real!" I practically exclaimed. 

Hyukjae's POV;

I paced around my living room after I put Donghae down on the sofa. I couldn't believe what Sungmin has done, and I couldn't believe the fangs on Kyuhyun. I was angry, disappointed, confused. My thoughts were driven away when I heard a soft whimper and saw Donghae's pout. Ohmygod, she's so cute. Before I realized what I was doing, I reached out and caressed her cheek. She was surprised and her widened eyes.. reminds me of a fish. I wanted to burst out laughing but I held it in and faked a cough. I told her she wasn't dreaming and she asked the expected question. 

"I'm still not sure if Kyuhyun is a Vampire, but I am one." I elongated my fangs and lifted my head to face her, feeling uneasy.

Instead of running away or screaming or fainting, she did something I have never imagined in my life. She reached out her hand and poked my fangs with her finger and exclaimed, "Woah! This is amazing! It's real!"

What is wrong with this girl? Before I could say anything else, she excitedly plopped onto the sofa and pulled me to sit beside her. "I never imagined I would meet one in my entire life! Now tell me more about yourself!"

"Er.. Vampires have enhanced senses.. And I could hear your heart beating like it was going to explode, why aren't you afraid of me? Or us?"

"I've heard my parents talk about Vampires, so I've always believed or rather, known that Vampires existed. But they refused to tell me anything when I asked them, so you tell me! And you're my friend, why would I be afraid of you?" 

Eh? Donghae's parents know about Vampires? I wondered but Donghae started pulling on my arm and I pushed that thought aside. 

"Basically, there're two types of Vampires. The first type is the pure-blood, which is a Vampire given birth by parents who are pure-blood Vampires. The second type is the changed, which are humans changed into Vampires." I explained. "The pure-blood is normally more powerful than the changed. When a human have a Vampire's blood in their body, their body begin changing as the Vampire blood will take over the human blood. If a human's body successfully accepts the Vampire blood, he or she is changed into a Vampire. If the body resists or rejects the Vampire blood, he or she dies. We need blood to survive, but we can endure it for about 2 to 3 months." 

"WHAT?! So you guys really do chomp on humans every now and then?!" Donghae screamed. 

"Shh! Do you want people to come up and stake me? By the way a Vampire doesn't die easily, we don't catch diseases and we don't age, we only die through staking. And no, we don't neccessarily need human blood. We can have animals' blood. Drinking a certain amount from a human can make him or her become your mate, which means you guys have a special bond with each other for life." 

Donghae made her fish-face again. "That is so cool but scary at the same time. So how do you differentiate a pure-blood and a changed? And since both pure-blood and changed consists of Vampire blood, why is a pure-blood more powerful?"

"At birth, the pure-blood will have a triangular-shaped birthmark on their hip-bone. A changed will have a circular birthmark at the same place if their body accepts the change. Pure-blood Vampires are gifted. They have special powers which are called gifts and that's why they have an advantage." 

"Wa!" Donghae immediately pushed me down on the sofa and lifted my shirt, revealing my triangular birthmark. "Omo! You're a pure-blood?! What's your power!"

I gulped at our position. Donghae realized that she was still on top of me and immediately got up, I heard her heartbeat increasing again and noticed the slight blush on her cheeks. I smiled, "my power is to control air. The ability to control elements is one of the greatest power within Vampires," I focused slightly and called air to me. I glanced at Donghae, her hair rustled in the wind. 

"This is so awesome!" She giggled, looking like an angel. "Why didn't you use this power to kick those miserable guys' butts when you saved me and Unnie that day?"

I couldn't stop staring at her, I never noticed she was this pretty. I quietly sent air away and she turned to look at me. I leaned in slowly and she shut her eyes tightly. Her heartbeat was racing again. When our lips were almost touching, I chuckled and pulled away, she opened her eyes and bit her lips, looking at the floor silently. 

"Are you really stupid? There's no need to use my power against those weaklings, it's used against other powerful Vampires if they decide to find trouble. If I used it at that place, how would I explain to you or the cops if they look for me? And did you think I was really going to kiss you?" I laughed again.

"Yah! I don't care what kind of powerful Vampire you are, stop making fun of me! You bully!" I yelped when she hit me on the head with her knuckles. "And what were you saying about other powerful Vampires finding trouble?" 

"It's kind of like a clan war. Initially a leader was put in charge of all the Vampires, but some wanted their own power and got rebellious," I sighed. 

"WHAT?! That means Eunhyuk is like a gang leader?! Omo!" And again, Donghae gave her fish-face. I just shrugged.

"Why are you telling me all these? I mean, I'm just a human. You could've killed me," she blurted out and covered with her hands.

"Yea, I'm wondering why I didn't, But I guess maybe because you're special," I shrugged again and glanced at her.

She blushed again. After a few moments of silence, Donghae spoke. "You live alone? Where are your parents?" 

I felt like she just stabbed a knife into my heart. I gulped the lump of emotions that formed around my throat. "They died. They were killed in front of my eyes. I ran away. I didn't save them. I ran away like a coward."