NINE

Monster

Hyukjae's POV;

Sungmin was sitting opposite me and I've been waiting for her to speak first. She picked at her fingers nervously and kept biting her lips, I knew she was nervous and thinking of how to tell me whatever she wanted to say. 

I sighed. "So, you like him? Kyuhyun?"

I watched Sungmin slowly nod her head, she looked up at me. "I'm sorry Hyuk. I don't know how, but I just.." she trailed off, not knowing how to continue.

"It's okay," I don't know why but I actually feel relieved. "You know, I had actually predicted this would happen sooner or later. I know we've loved each other and been together since we were young, but somewhere along the way, I guess we lost that affection. Because we've been together for so long, I guess we would be lost without each other. It's more like a we need to be together rather than we want to be together. I'm happy for you, Sungmin. Don't worry about me." Although my smile was small, it was genuine. Sungmin just stared at me, lost for words. "So, what is he?"

Sungmin came back to her senses. "Pure-blood. Gifted to read minds and compel, as long as the other party looks into his eyes."

"What?!" I snapped from my seat and stood in front of Sungmin, holding her shoulders. The air around us swirled furiously as my anger rose. "Did he compel you?! That's why you guys were.." I looked deep into Sungmin's eyes, looking for any sign that she was being compelled. But all I saw was certainty. 

"No, he did not. I was the one who kissed him back, even before I knew what he was. At that moment, I forgot about everything. It's been a long time since I've felt like that, Hyuk. I didn't care if he was a human, I just felt like I want him. It feels weird to be telling you all this, but I really hope you will understand. I'm really sorry.. Hyukjae, I love Kyuhyun." Her eyes pleaded for understanding, and I gave it to her. I calmed down, as well as the air around us. 

"It's alright, Min. Like I said, I'm happy for you. We'll still be best friends, and if Kyuhyun ever does something to you, I swear I'll be the one to kill him." 

Her face immediately brightened. "Yah Hyukjae, I didn't expect you would be so.. forgiving. Tell me honestly, you feel something for Donghae right?" 

I almost chocked on my own saliva. "W-what are you talking about? Just because we broke up doesn't mean you have to match-make me with someone else." 

"Aye, drop the act, Hyuk. I've known you for years. I noticed you were worried about her when she went home alone." Sungmin wiggled her eyebrow.

"Isn't it normal to be worried for a vulnerable young girl to go home alone in the night? The other day she was attacked by three guys, that's when I had to save her." I acted nonchalant but I couldn't stop my heart from beating rapidly. 

"It's not normal for Lee Hyukjae to be worried about a mere human. And it's definitely not normal that Lee Hyukjae is feeling nervous that his heart is beating three times faster than usual." Sungmin grinned. "There's no need to be shy, just confess to her already! I can tell that she feels something for you too." 

"Aish! I don't know what you're talking about. I'm going to bed, remember to close the door when you leave." And i dashed into my room, leaving a chuckling Sungmin.