He Is Mysterious

BLOCK 18 LOT 5
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It has already been a month since we stayed here in Ulsan. Almost every year we, by we I mean Haru, Manse, Granny and I, spend at least a month of our summer vacation here where dad grew up. He spent his life here until he's 13 before they decided to move to Busan where he met Mom, Uncle Dae-Joon and Mrs. Jeon.

Dad wants us to experience the simple and modest life in the province; you see, Manse learns the old practices here, Haru learns how to do fishing, Granny enjoys her time talking with those people she spent her life with, while I learn how to farm.

It's really nice to get to experience how my dad lived in this community where people are like everyone's family. There's no internet connection nor does cellular data work here. So, the only way to contact me is through text message. My friends have been texting me since day 1, asking how I was doing, reminding me to take care of myself as well as my siblings and to enjoy my short stay here.

Aside from them, I keep my dad updated with everything that we do because the last thing I want him to do is worry about us. I've learnt that the latest case he's handling is against one of the country’s most powerful families, thankfully, the Jeons are with him. Every night I check on him, he always replies with I am at your uncle's house.

Having the Jeons around made it easier for my dad to survive stress and loneliness.

They are what I consider as blessings.

Speaking of the Jeons, there was this one time when Jungkook texted me asking what are the favorite colors of my siblings, and our conversation went like this:

Me : Haru's blue while Manse's red.

I guess this isn't a conversation afterall.

We arrived in Seoul at 11PM, dad carried Haru and Manse into their rooms while I one by one get our luggage’s inside the house. It was a long and tiring day, especially for dad who drove for 5 straight hours. I prepared him a hot chocolate to help him sleep sound fully later.

"So, did you enjoy?" He asked as he takes the seat beside me on our old, white bench in our mini garden.

"Yeah, it's always fun there. We learn too many and breathing in fresh air of the province is always nice." I said after I sip my own hot chocolate.

I then turned to him, "How about you? Your work?" Honestly, I'm a bit worried about dad, he's working as if there's no tomorrow, he doesn't set any limitations on himself.

There was a short silence before he answers, "You know how big our opponent is, as big as Goliath!" He extends is arms as big as possible.

"But, what he doesn't know is that David's right here?" He points to himself as his eyebrows wiggle playfully. I laughed loudly as I watch my dad's ridiculous face.

As I calm down, I embraced the cold breeze of the night, then leaned my head on my dad's shoulder and reminded him,

"Please don't work too much. Take care of yourself, huh? Mom won't be happy if you get sick."

Dad then placed his head on my head, "Yes, Ma'am."

And there we enjoy each other's presence in this comforting silence.

 

Our morning during vacation is usually quiet with both of my siblings still in dreamland everytime I wake them up for breakfast, but, today is a little different.

"AHHHHHHH!" Both of them scream so loud while jumping up and down, running around the bicycles outside our house. There are three bicycles, a little red bicycle for 3 years old and below, a blue one for 10 years old and below and a bicycle with basket infront for an adult. These bicycles are the exact bikes we've been dreaming of and I've been saving for.

I immediately called dad through the phone. "Dad, how did you know about the bikes?"

"What?" He asked sounding so confused from the other line.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "There are bicycles outside the house. Are these from you?"

"Hey, hey! Don't touch that! Those are not from me, they might not be yours." He warns.

But... "But it's right in front of our ga---"

Oh God! I immediately told my dad goodbye as I dialled another number.

"Hello?" His voice sounds hoarse probably this guy's back is still attached to his bed.

"Hey, Junhoe, did you buy the bicycles I've been saving up for?" This guy has been offering me money to use but I always refuse so there is a huge possibility that these are from him.

There was silence over the line and low snores, "Junhoe!" I slightly shout.

"Ugh... No. No bikes..."

It's not him?

Just when I was about to give up in guessing who the generous donor is, Jeon Jungkook comes out of their house... And unlike his normal self who never throws a look at us, I caught him slightly eyeing our house.

OH!

OH!

"These are from you?" I shouted a little due to mixture of astonishment and disbelief.

He touches his left ear before saying "Don't shout early in the morning."

Unknowingly, I smiled to myself. Really? These are from him?

 

Right after we take a bath, the three of us headed to the park to try out our new bicycles. As we walk down the streets, Jungkook suddenly appeared beside us--- but there's something unique about him now.

He's riding a bicycle instead of his noisy motorbike.

"Where's your motorbike?" I wonder.

Again, instead of wasting his words on me, he sprinted to the park. The moment we arrived, we saw him cycling in a roundabout motion repeatedly.

Seeing this, Manse got amused with the man and there he jumped nonstop while cheering for Jungkook. Jungkook then halts in front of us then bends down to the level of Manse, "Do you like that?"

To which Manse answered with an eager nod.

We spent the entire day teaching the kids how to ride a bicycle as we circle around the park.

When we reached our houses, I let my siblings get inside first and then ran after Jungkook. But before I could even talk to him, Mrs. Jeon called out my name,

"Chaeyoung!" She beamed at me. Her sight then lowers to the bicycle.

"Is this it?" She turned to Jungkook.

Jungkook just glared at her then simply uttered a "Mom..."

She then squeals, "I'm so glad you get rid of that motorbike of yours! These bicycles are better." She blurts out nonchalantly as she walks inside their house.

My jaw almost dropped.

I looked at him with wide eyes, "Did--- did you sell your motorbike and bought us these?"

He avoids any eye contact before he clears his throat, "Mom and dad hate the motorbike."

I was frozen in my place as I heard the confirmation right from his mouth that he did sell his motorbike, in exchange he got these, I guess lame bikes.

Before I could even apologize, he says, "Go back home."

He took steps towards their door, but when he realized I was not moving, he slightly pushed me. "Go home."

I turn to him and my lips automatically extend from ear to ear.

"Thank you so much!" I bowed and then ran back home.

No.

He's not bad afterall.

 

Oh, despite the fact that Jungkook bought us bikes still, he never spends time with us other than the bicycle time where he teaches Haru and Manse how to ride a bike. So in the end, our relationship didn't even progress into friendship, the most suitable label for us would be neighbors.

And our last year in HIgh School has finally begun. Our morning was quite busy again, we prepared for our breakfast, lunchboxes and other things we needed for school.

By the way, there is a slight difference with our routine today. Haru and Manse transferred schools which is in the opposite way from mine, so starting from this sem, I won't be able to ride with them, instead I'll be cycling my way to school, which I think is really fun.

"I'll go ahead now!" I kissed everyone as I bid them goodbye.

I am so excited! I only see this on TV but today, I'll be riding a bike going to school. Aside from being fun, it also doesn't contribute in the growing problem of pollution and is a incredibly good way to stay healthy and fit.

I inhale the fresh air as I pedal down the streets of Seoul.

I reached school 10 minutes ahead of time.

Well, it's not bad at all.

"Good morning, how was the countryside?" Miyeon asks.

I just shrug and smile, "It's totally nice. I wish you could come with me some time." I said.

"I'm all for it!" DK raised his hand. "I've always liked simple life."

Just then, Mina called out on me "Chaeyoung, let's go."

Oh, yes, I was re-elected as the student council president for our last and final year.

And I guess nothing has really changed. Jungkook, Junhoe and this time Lisa, are late for the first day of our 12th grade.

"Our athletes are always late." Mina shakes her head in dismay as she lists the name of my friends. She then turned to me, "I really wonder how are you friends with them?"

I just smile and shrug at her.

I then walk closer to the three, I sighed first before I ask "Why are you guys late this time?"

Lisa then earnestly explained, "Leo doesn't want to eat so I had a hard time leaving him." She pouts. I narrowed my eyes at her as I also pout at her, "Okay, just go inside."

We all walk our way to the classroom then Junhoe placed his left hand over my shoulders and said "My alarm clock is really never patient."

I rolled my eyes at his excuse, "This year is the national taekwondo competition, and you should avoid school violations." I reminded him.

He then chuckled and salutes "Yes ma'am!" Before I could even let out a laugh, Jungkook bumped us both as he walked in between us.

Junhoe then shouts "Yah!" then curses, "That arrogant brat!"

 

"Get one and pass." Our adviser gives out the pamphlets that have the list of programs, schools and dates of their entrance exams we could choose from for college.

"This is your last year in High School and everyone of you should now have an idea of what you all want to become." She then raises the pamphlets she has in her hand, "Here is the list of your choices and their admission dates. You all have 2 months to prepare before the set dates." She informs us.

I read through it..

Liberal Arts

Journalism

Literature

Political Science

Law

.

.

.

Communication Arts...

Mom.

You see, my mom and dad met in college. They were in the same building as both were liberal arts students, my dad took up Law while mom was a Communication Arts student. When mom was still alive, I've always seen her stay up all night just to finish the stories the anchors on TV report daily.

I'd always hear her say "One day, you'll see me on TV Chaeyoung."

However, it never happened. Just days after she received the good news that she'll finally be on TV, she fainted and never woke up. Since then, I told myself that I'll follow her foo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter