He Is Dependable

BLOCK 18 LOT 5
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's a Saturday morning and here I am preparing for Manse's things. His school is celebrating family day in the zoo however, since dad is not around and granny isn't healthy enough, Mrs. Jeon will be going with me.

I made sure to put enough snacks, an extra shirt, 2 towels, his tumbler full of water and of course, his ID. I heard a knock on the door which caused me to sprint towards the front door.

I beamed at Mrs. Jeon, as I am truly thankful for her presence, but her face does not, even a little, mirror mine. I blink my eyes multiple times and noticed that Mrs. Jeon is wearing corporate attire which is obviously not a suitable get up if you're going to the zoo.

"Chaeyoung, honey." She calls me as she holds both of my arms. "Look, you do know how much I want to spend the day with you and Manse in the zoo, right?"

I gulped so hard knowing where this conversation is going.

Still, I maintained my composure as I forced a smile to form on my face, "Yes."

The too visible frown on her face already speaks clearly for her "But, my boss just called me and he wants me to interview Gong Yoo for our magazine and unfortunately, this is his only free time. I was left with no choice, darling. I am so sorry."

Hearing her apologetic voice makes my heart go weak. It is very clear that it is not her obligation to do this, her, offering to accompany us is already a great thing, I am truly grateful, indeed.

I warmly said "Don't worry about it, Mrs. Jeon. I can handle this, please don't be sorry for this. I understand."

"Oh," she earnestly shakes her head which caused me to furrow my eyebrows. "I'm not letting you go alone."

My eyes grow big when I realized her proposal "Oh, no please. Uncle Dae-Joon is busy, I don't want to be a trouble for anyone."

"Of course not!" She exclaims, "Honey is busy with work, so it's impossible for him to come. But Jungkook is not."

Uh-oh. I think I have already seen that smile just a week ago.

"I asked him to go with the two of you." She relays enthusiastically. "And you don't have to worry anymore..." she paused then clapped her hands together "He said yes! He'll go with you. I'll drop you guys at the zoo. Come on."

Oh God.

 

I sat silently in the car as Mrs. Jeon happily drives while singing along with whatever song the radio plays. I can't count how many times I have stolen a glance at Jungkook who sits in front through the rear-view mirror.

And to be honest, I've never felt so scared of him until today.

I am incredibly worried that this might have caused him to cancel his plans for the weekends, and if that is really the case then I believe he loathes me to death at this very moment.

When we reached the zoo, I immediately held Manse's hands. "Thank you so much." I bowed at Mrs. Jeon.

"Don't worry about it, just enjoy!" She cheers on us before she pressed on the gas and goes off.

I exhaled deeply before I faced this guy. "Look, if you have some other plans, you can go now. And I promise, I won't tell your mom." I present him my idea.

He looks down at me "I don't have any. Let's just go inside."

He walks ahead of me as I was left frozen in my place...

Are we going to be okay?

There are at least 15 families in here including us. I mean, no. You see, all the kids here are with both of their mom and dad who all look professional and apparently belong in the working sector. That's why when the teacher landed her eyes on us, she immediately asked us to introduce ourselves.

I bowed to the group "Good morning everyone, I am Park Chaeyoung, Manse's oldest sister." I smiled at them but when I noticed that they are all eyeing the guy beside me, I cleared my throat and chuckled a little, "And this is Jungkook, a family friend."

I know my face is turning into bright red right now as these people throw me knowing looks and playful smiles.

I just avert my eyes not really sure on how should a person act when caught in a situation as awkward as this.

We were divided into five groups, three families per teacher. We first went to the parrots where Manse enjoyed conversing with them. Next is the aquarium, my brother watched as the fish danced in the water. Another set of adorable animals that we met were the rabbits which he fed with carrots. After the tiring first half of the day, we all took a break first and eat the lunch the school provided.

Jungkook, Manse and I sat in one table. I helped Manse eat his food which I sliced then carefully feed him, the school also provided a bottle of water...

Ugh....

Ugh...

Why is it so tight? I can't open it. I tried again and again until someone snatched it from my hold. He effortlessly opened the cap bottle and Manse immediately went to him and to my surprise, he didn't just help him drink from the bottle, he also wiped my brother's dirty mouth.

I muttered a low "Thank you." And since the guy doesn't know how to keep a conversation going, he just continued eating his food as if I am invisible or he is deaf.

"Be ready to meet the next animals!" The teacher announced.

It is a monkey. To tell you the truth my brother has always wanted to see huge animals which he is just used to seeing on TV however, I should make it clear that he isn't the bravest kid in his class. He quickly ran behind my legs while crying a lot.

I bent down to his level and tried to calm him down, "It's okay. It's okay. You don't have to touch the monkey if you can't. We'll just go." He was still crying as he nods his head.

I sighed, it's actually a bit disappointing but since he's sca---

I was shocked when Jungkook suddenly joined me as he bends down to Manse's level.

"Hey, didn't you say you want to meet one?" He asked.

Manse nodded his head.

"Then, why don't you touch him?" Again, he questions.

Manse pouts and shakes a little more "I'm sceyld."

"Why?" I turn my head to this guy, amused with how he handles this.

Manse explained that "He's big."

"He's big but he's nice. Look, he's shaking the other kids' hands." He points at the kids who were befriending the monkey.

"Come on, I'm here." He held out his hand which my brother grabbed.

I stand there as I watch the two go near the creature that my brother was afraid of just a while ago. He carried my brother near the monkey and surprisingly, my bother held the monkey's hand. Even more, he's now laughing and enjoying.

And you know what stunned me the most?

Jungkook, while carrying my brother in his arms, is beaming so bright, so bright as the sun.

 

Monday came in a flash and here I am busy with putting the raincoat on Manse as granny helped Haru with hers.

You see, last night the weather forecaster announced that the public shall expect heavy rains for the whole week. Imagine, with all the chances of bad weather, this low pressure area chose to enter the country exactly when my dad is out and can’t possibly send us to school.

Granny and I agreed that I’ll be sending these two to school while she’ll be picking them up. I was actually averse about the idea but then she assured me that it’s totally fine and she’s going to ask the boy who drives a mini truck and delivers the bottles of water to the grocery to give her a ride.

Not having a chance to win an argument with my granny, I submit to her suggestion and now, this is our set up.

“Bye, granny! We’ll be going now.” We kissed her goodbye as she drinks her hot coffee.

Haru opens her little transparent umbrella while she holds her lunchbox with her other hand and carries her backpack. Meanwhile, I hold the huge yellow umbrella with my right hand, my backpack on my back, Manse’s lunchbox on my right shoulder, Haru’s project which is safely placed in a huge shoulder bag on my left shoulder and of course, I am holding my brother with my left hand.

We waited at the bus stop, and as I look at my watch, there’s still 3 minutes before the next bus would arrive, we closed our two umbrellas as we prepare to hop on the bus. But the battle isn’t easy to win, we were pushed to the side by these rushing people and in the end we weren’t able to ride and still have to wait for the next one.

When we have successfully entered the next bus, the three of us had to squeeze in to the little vacant spot. To make our situation a little more difficult, the bus is always crammed at this hour, leaving us with no other choice but to stand.

Okay, it is only today that I realized that I at balancing. There have been numerous times where Haru almost fall and Manse almost kissed the floor! To add, our things are even making everything harder.

When we arrived at our stop, we had to pass by, I think, thousand people.

Okay, that's an exaggeration, of course.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter