Chapter 9: A short panic

Beauty and the Beast

             Two cars parked at the restaurant’s lot. The four—Nichkhun, Sohee, Taeyeon, and Hyoyeon—enters the restaurant.

“Ishikawa Kagurazak e yokoso.” The host in tradition kimono greets them with a bow.

“Watashi wa 4-ri-yō no puraibētorūmu o motemasu ka?” Said Hyoyeon.

           The host nod and walks them to an available room down the hall. The four of them takes off their shoes before they enter the tradition tearoom. The host put the menus on the table before she stands at the door.

            “Anata no sābā wa mamonaku go riyō itadakemasu.” Said the host. She bows again then walks away from the room.

            Hyoyeon and Taeyeon looking through the menus. Nichkhun phone vibrates inside his jacket pocket. Sohee glance at him. He pulls it out and read the message.

            “Excuse me.” Said Nichkhun before he stands and walks out of the room.

            Sohee suspiciously watches him.

            “Sohee, what’s wrong?” Hyoyeon asked.

            “He’s hiding something from me.”

            “Him? Is he your boyfriend?” Hyoyeon asked.

            “No. He’s my half-cousin.” Said Sohee as she goes through the menu.

            “I thought he was your boyfriend for a second. He was so fierce and worries.”

            “That’s how he is. He’s a very loyal and thoughtful man but also cautious and possessive too.” Sohee closed the menu.

            “Does he have a girlfriend?”

            Sohee shakes her head no, “I'm not surprised that he’s still single. He will probably be single for a very long time.” She said. She rests her chin on her palm “Why? Are you interest in him?”

            Hyoyeon smiles, “Maybe. He is a very good-looking man. But I think I’m not his type.”

            “How would you know?” Sohee with her arms crosses and rest on the table.

            Hyoyeon glance at Taeyeon, who is still taking her time looking through the menu. “Because someone else has caught his eyes.”

            Sohee smiles as well as she looks at Taeyeon. “Oh really. I wonder why and how.”

            Taeyeon finally looks at them. “What?” Taeyeon asked in confusion.

            “Nothing.” Said Sohee.

            “Just wondering, are you going to order everything on the menu?” Said Hyoyeon changing the subject.

            “Maybe. Are you paying?” Taeyeon asked.

            “No. I’m broke.”

            “I’m broke too.” Sohee raises her hands up, surrendering.

            “I’m paying?” Taeyeon asked.

            Nichkhun enters the room again.

            “No need.” Said Sohee with a big smile as she watches Nichkhun walks back to his seat.

            Nichkhun notices the strange smiles from her. “What?”

            “Nothing.” Said Sohee. “Was that Taecyeon?” She asked, changing the subject.

            “Yes.” Nichkhun answered.

            “What was it about?” Sohee nosily asked.

            “I will tell you later, maybe when you visit Korea.” Said Nichkhun, opening the menu. He reaches for the cup of tea.

            Taeyeon reaches for the cup of tea as well. Their hand's touch and eyes met each other again. Sohee and Hyoyeon see it; they smile. His warm hand over her makes her nervous. Taeyeon immediately withdraws her hands and eyes back on the menu.

“Her hand… it’s not cold.” Nichkhun’s eyes were still on her for a little longer till he notices eyes looking at him.

            “Interesting.” Said Sohee with her thinking face.

            Hyoyeon smiles, knowing what she meant. She picks up the cup of hot tea.

            Nichkhun ignores her and went through the menu. 

* * * * *

[The next day….]

            In the VIP room at the hospital, Yoona sleeping on the double seated couch while Yuri going through files on her laptop. The two of them have been working on the company document coming up with a plan to increase the stock and profit all night long. Yoona fell asleep a few hours before sunrise. Yuri was still awake and trying to finish the remaining files. Mr. Im eyes weakly open. He looks at the ceiling then eyes wander to from left to right. Mr. Im helps himself up on against the bedhead. He sees Yuri on her laptop and Yoona asleep on another couch. Yuri heard a little sound from the second room.

            “Appa!” Yuri hurries over to Mr. Im.

            Yoona eyes jump open and body jolt upward. She looks into the second room and sees Mr. Im awake from the coma.  eyes jump open and body jolt up to a sitting position. She looks into the room and sees Mr. Im awake from the coma. 

Yoona immediately awake after she heard Yuri voice. Turn her attention to the little Mr. Im, she sees Yuri beside Mr. Im.

            “Appa…” Yoona walks over to him.

            Mr. Im looks at Yuri then Yoona.

            “Appa, how are you feeling?” Yoona asked worriedly.

            “Where am I?” Mr. Im asked as he looks around the unfamiliar room.

            “You’re at the hospital, appa.” Said Yuri.

            “Appa, do you feel something different in you?” Yoona asked.

            Mr. Im takes a moment to think and recollect his memories. “I remember I was in pain at the conference. Mr. Ok was there too.” Said Mr. Im, pointing at the center of his chest. “But now, I feel a strong energy running in me.”

            Yuri looks at him confusedly.

            “The energy that’s flowing in me is different. I don’t feel the pain anymore. It’s like reviving me.” Mr. Im tries to describe the feeling but can not find the right words. “

            The doctors and nurses enter the room. They walk up to Mr. Im. One of the two doctors uses the stethoscope to listen to Mr. Im heart and lungs.

            “Mr. Im, can you take a couple deep breath for me?” Said the doctor as he moves the stethoscope to Mr. Im back.

            Mr. Im takes a couple a deep breath, inhales and exhales in a soft and calmly manner. Yuri and Yoona stand aside and carefully watches. The nurses record the doctor words into the patient’s chart. The doctor finishes listening to Mr. Im lungs and heartbeats.

            “How are you feeling?” The second doctor asked. “Any easiness at the chest or anywhere?”

            “I feel fine.” Said Mr. Im.

            The two doctors give each other a confused look. “I’ve never seen a situation like this.” Said the first doctor.

            “When you listen to his lungs, did you get any unstable beats?” the second doctor asked.

            “No.” The first doctor answered with a shook ‘no’.

            “We need to full body scan.” Said the second doctor. The first doctor nod.

            The nurse unplugs a few cords and pulls carefully pull the IV out before they push the bed out of the room. Yoona and Yuri wait at the room.

            Sitting in the couch and waiting, Yoona recalled that other night with Taecyeon. He appeared at the middle of the night with the cure. Him leaving with a fierce and anger facial expression. She recalled everything and most importantly, the words he said still shocks her. “I want you.” It repeats over and over inside her head.

            Yuri turns her head and sees Yoona deep in her thought.

            “Yoona?” She called her. Yoona did not respond. “Yoona?” She shook her a little.

            Yoona looks at her, “What is it?” She asked.

            “What are you thinking about?” Yuri asked, curiously.

            “Nothing important, just a few words from a someone.” Said Yoona. “Have you heard anything from Hyun-Joong and Seung-gi?” She changed the topic.

            “I don’t know where Hyun-Joong is. He has been missing for a couple days now. Seung-gi has been at the company helping me manage the people.” Said Yuri. “He asks how you have been every day. He also says he wanted to come to visit Mr. Im, but there have been so many meetings lately. Our stock has dropped since the incident at the conference.” She said in a worried tone.

            “I’m sorry, I have not been helpful lately.” Said Yoona.

            “Don’t worry about the company right now. Seung-gi and I will take care of the company till father is all better.” Said Yuri with smiles, “Have you heard anything from Ok Taecyeon? He has been quiet these past few days. Does he plan to back out now?”

            Yoona hesitates to answer her.

            “I really hope he does not turn his back on us.” Said Yuri.

            “He won’t. A deal is a deal.” Said Yoona almost in a quiet tone. “A deal for the cure.”

            “A deal? What deal? You mean the contract?”

            “Yes, I meant to say the contract.” Said Yoona, nervously. 

            “He signed the contract before father faint.” Said Yuri. “I went to his company to talk about the plan, but the secretary says he had not come to the company this past couple of days. Did something happen?”

            Yuri last sentence raises her curiosity. She remembers seeing anger and fire in his eyes before he left that night.

            “Hyun-Joong oppa have disappeared for two days now. I don’t know where he is or what he is doing. I just hope he does nothing stupid.”

            The door open, the nurses push the bed back into the room followed by the doctors. Yuri and Yoona walk into the small room and stand beside Mr. Ok opposite from the doctors and nurses.

            “Doctor, how is my father?” Yoona asked.   

            “We did a few MRI and a checkup. He is in a very good condition as if nothing happen to his at all. I would like him to stay for a day or two to make sure it does not happen again.” Said the doctor.

“Sure.” Said Yuri.

            The doctors and nurses bow before they leave the room. Yuri was still confused. Yoona knew the answered to her father health but cannot expose to them. It was part of the deal between her and Taecyeon. Their deal only.

            “I can’t tell her the deal between me and him. I’m sorry Yuri.”

            “How is the company?” Mr. Im asked.

            “The company is…”

            “Yuri, tell me the truth.”

            “We are in a critical condition. Our stock is dropping. Seung-gi and I are working to maintain the company.”

            “What about Hyun-Joong?”  

            “I have not heard and seen have these past couple days. He went missing after you were hospitalized.” Yuri informed Mr. Im.

            “Ok Taecyeon.”

            “Yoona say he visited you a couple time.”

            Mr. Im looks at Yoona, who is looking at the floor and still in her own world.

            “Did he leave any message?” Mr. Im asked.

            “No, appa.” Said Yuri, “I have not heard anything from him after the conference.”

            “Contact him, inform him that I’m awake and would like to meet him.”

            “Yes, appa.” Yuri nod.

            “Yoona.” Mr. Im called. Yoona was unresponsive. “Yoona.”

            Yoona finally looks at Mr. Im. “Yes, appa?”

            “Yuri said Taecyeon came to visit me a couple time. You were here as well. Did he say anything to you?” Mr. Im asked.

            Yoona shook her head lightly ‘no’. “He stopped by to check on you.” She said, half-truth half-lies.

            “Just to check on me?”

            “Yes.”

            Mr. Im looks at her as if he was waiting for another answer. “Why don’t you go home and rest. You must be really tired.” He said.  

            Yoona flashes a weak smile. “I’m fine. I’ll stay to take care of you.” 

            “Listen to appa, go home and rest. I’m better now.” Said Mr. Im, convincingly. “I should be discharged soon. What I worry right now is you two and the company. We can’t let the family’s company fall because of me. The Ok enterprise is our only hope.” His eyes fill with worries.

            Yuri and Yoona know how Mr. Im is feeling right now. The Im Enterprise was built from the previous two generations from the penniless. The company is as precious as his two daughters. If the Im enterprise fall, he will regret his whole life and unable to face his ancestor.

            “Appa, please don’t think too much. You just recover. You should rest more.” Said Yoona.

            Yuri and Yoona help Mr. Im lay back on the bed and pull the cover over him.

            “Go home. Both of you.” He said with his eyes shut, resting on the bed.

            Yuri and Yoona exit the VIP suite. They walk down to the hall to the elevator. Yuri presses the bottom button. The doors slide open. Both enter the elevator. Yoona press on to the ‘L’ button. The doors slide close.

            “Unnie, are you heading back to the company?” Yoona asked.

            Yuri nod. “I have a few files to take care of.”            

            “Okay, I’m going to go home and change first then I’ll head over to help you.” Said Yoona.

            “You should go home and rest.” Said Yuri.

            “I’m fine. I’ve rest enough.”

            “You are stubborn. Okay. I’ll be you at the company.” Said Yuri before she heads to her car parked a row down.

            Yoona enters her BMW. She presses on the start button. The car’s engine turns on. Within a second, she reverses out of the parking lot and into the road. On her way back to the Im’s resident, her mind fills with Taecyeon and his words. The traffic light turns red, she stops. Yoona reaches inside her purse and pull out for her phone. No call. No message.

            “Babo Yoona! He doesn’t have your number.”

            Beep! The sound of the car honk from behind shook her back to reality. She looks up and sees the light green. Yoona press on the gas pedal. The car moves again.

* * * * *

            Chansung walks out to the back of the tradition mansion. He stops about five feet away from the elite guard that he has personally trained to guard, protect, and fight bravely. The guards stood in a row of 20 as ordered. He eyes glide from one man to the next as if he was searching for an answer to who leaked the information to the enemy. Every guard face Chansung with a serious face except one. Chansung walks to the start of the first row. He begins walking, passing one by one. The man at the very last row felt a sudden nerve-wracking beating running inside of him.

            Before he reaches the second row, a maid comes out running to him. “Mr. Hwang, the little girl has gone missing!” She said, in a breathless tone filled with worries and fear.

            Chansung shot wide open. “MWO!” He exclaimed.

            “I—I went to get her food. When I came back, she was gone.” Said the maid.

            “Guards!”

            “Sir!” All stomp their right feet.

            “Search for Hailey! Bring her back safe!” Chansung commanded.

            “Yes, sir!” The guard scatters and searches for Hailey.

            Chansung went searching for Hailey as well. He begins searching the mansion, starting from her room. He picks up her little jacket and sniffs her sense. He throws it back on the bed and trails sense out of the room, down the hall. He stops at the full-length window and sees a shadow in the forest. Fast like lightning, he runs out of the mansion into the forest. Looking down at the ground, he sees small footsteps on the soils.  

            Chansung looks up and around the place. He panics a little. “Hailey!” He shouts loudly. He waits for a short moment but no response. Chansung continues to search for Hailey. “Hailey!”

            Hailey has gone far from the mansion. She’s lost in the forest, trying to find her ways out by using the light of the sun. However, there was no light. It was a cloudy day. The branches and leaves are covering the light from coming in. The sound of owls crying in the air frightens her. The sound of branches cracking frightens her. Hailey was torn. She was lost and confused. Left or right, she does not know where to go.

            “Mommy…” Hailey calls out for Sunye as she looks around the forest. “Mommy…daddy.”

            The little footstep left behind a trail. She walks and walks in the forest. Suddenly, she hears waters rushing a river 50 feet away. Hailey walks toward the river. She gets closer to the river but also the sound of another footstep is coming closer to her. Looking back from time to time, she sees no shadow. The sense is familiar to the one on the train. It was heavy and dark. Hailey picks up her speed. She finally made it to the large river. Hailey stops five feet away from the edge and looks at the forest. The shadow was getting closer. The smiles of death are visible.

            “Daddy…” Hailey cries in fear.

            “No.” The man replied. “Your daddy and mommy are dead.”

            “Dead?”

            “Yes. Dead.” Said the man, “You will never see them again.”

            A tall man walks out of the dark. His right-hand holds a sharp blade as he walks up slowly to Hailey. The frighten Hailey slowly steps back. She was getting closer and closer to the edge of the land. Only five steps away.

            “Seung won!” The fierce Chansung leap out from the forest and attack Seung won. Three punches and a few kicks.

            Seung won dodge three and hit with two kicks. He flew five feet back. Chansung stood in the middle between Seung won and Hailey. He turns and looks at the frighten little Hailey in tears.

            “You!” The angry Seung won stand and grip his left fist tightly.

            Chansung faces with the same tension. “I’ve been looking for you.” He said, in a deadly tone. “You dare to show yourself here, a great opportunity for me to kill you once and for all.”

            Seung won smirk. He hears more footsteps running closer to the river. “Not today.” He said. He turns and makes a big jump into the air, escaping as fast as he could. Chansung was about to give a chase but did not. He turns and hurry up to Hailey and kneels to his right knee, he wipes her tears away gently.

            “Hailey, you’re safe now.” Said Chansung in a calm tone. “He won’t hurt again. I promise.”

            Hailey hesitates to speak but embraces him tightly. Chansung feels his heart calm as he pats her back lightly. The guard stops and surround Chansung, guarding them against the enemy.

 

To be continued…………………..

 

Translation:

"Ishikawa Kagurazak e yokoso” = Welcome to Ishikawa Kagurazak

“Watashi wa 4-ri-yō no puraibētorūmu o motemasu ka” = I like to have a private room for 4 people.

“Anata no sābā wa mamonaku go riyō itadakemasu.” = Your server will be with you soon.