Chapter 14: The Rose

Beauty and the Beast

[The Daegun’s Mansion…]

            As the luxury vehicle approach the Daegun’s mansion. It comes to a stop near the entrance. The guard walks up to the car and opens the back passenger side door. Taecyeon steps out of the vehicle and walks to the front double doors. Chansung hangs the key to the guard.  Two maids greeted Taecyeon with a bow.

            “Where is Miss Im?” Taecyeon asked.

            “Miss Im is with Miss Rosé in the garden.” Said The main with her head facing the floor.

            “Have Hailey eaten?” Chansung asked.

            The maid nod lightly. “Yes, she had brunch with Miss Im.” She answered.

            Taecyeon walks through the lobby to the door that connects to the back of the mansion. Chansung follows him closely.  Through the immense plain green field about 1 ½ acre, Taecyeon walks to the garden where Yoona and Hailey are at. Taecyeon stops about 100 feet away and watches Yoona caress a red rose in her palm. Hailey is besides, observing the beauty of the rose.

            “Hailey, do you like a rose?” Yoona asked.

            Hailey nodded her head. “I love rose. My parent plant rose in the back of the house. I always go out and watch it bloom whenever I can. Aunty Yoona, do you like roses?” she asked.

            Yoona smiles, “I love roses.” She said as she looks at the roses.

            “Aunty Yoona, my mommy always tells me I’m pretty as a rose.”

            “You are prettier than a rose, Hailey.”

            The smiles disappear as Hailey withdraw her hand from the roses. The little child face fills with sadness as her eyes get teary. “Aunty Yoona, is my mommy and daddy going to come back?” She asked.

            Yoona turns and looks at the sad Hailey. She let go of the rose and cup Hailey’s face. “Mommy and daddy are somewhere far away.” She said. Hailey shed couples tear. “But their loves will always be with you.”

            Hailey embraces Yoona, hiding her crying face. “I want mommy and daddy to come back.” She said.

            Yoona her back gently. “I know.” She whispered.

            Seeing Hailey cries, Chansung worriedly walks to her, but Taecyeon stops him. Yoona let Hailey cries in her arms as she gently pats the little child back.

            “Let me tell you a secret.” Said Yoona wiping Hailey tears away. “Taecyeon told me, your mommy asks him to plant roses in the back of the mansion just for you. He also told me that if you miss your mommy and daddy, you can always come here and look at the roses as if they were here with you.”

              Hailey wipes the tears away with her little hands. “Really?”

              Yoona nods with a smile.  “He never lies to me once. I trust him.”

              “All these roses are mine?” Hailey asked with little happiness

Yoona nods again. “Yes.”

Yoona answered light up a little joy in the little Hailey. Hailey looks at the roses and

gently grab onto a rose with soft smiles.

             Yoona watches the little Hailey be happy again. “Hailey, you are a very smart child for your age.” Said Yoona.

            “Mommy says I’m special.”

            “You are. You have this special sense like roses in this garden.” Said Yoona.

Hailey gives her a sweet smile. “Can you help me plan more roses?”

Yoona nods. “I would love too.” She said with smiles.

            “You two are getting along well.” Said Taecyeon as he walks up to them.

            “Uncle Taecyeon.” Hailey is happy to see him. She rushes up to him and gives him a hug. “Uncle, aunty Yoona is going to help me plan more roses.”

            “Oh really.” He said, looking at Yoona who stands like a status.

            Hailey nods happily. “These are mommy roses. I want to plant some with my hands.”

            “I’ll be happy to get more supplies.” He said.

            “Yay!” The little Hailey claps in joy. She looks pass Taecyeon and sees Chansung looking at her. She runs to Chansung and jumps into his arm.

“Yoona is actually not bad. She loves kids. She knows how to cheer Hailey up. You should think about it.” He said to Taecyeon before he comes forth and catches Hailey.

Chansung carries her in his arms. “Chansung!”  Hailey said happily.

            Chansung smiles lightly as he patted her back. “I miss you too.”

            Taecyeon walks up to Yoona. “Thank you.” He whispered.

            “She is a very good kid.” Said Yoona.

            “She is.” He said. His eyes glide down to her knees. He bends down and dusts the dirt off her bottom.

            Taecyeon’s action surprises her. She nervously and quickly takes a step back. He let out a slight smirk as he stands back up. His head slightly tilts to one side.

            Yoona nervously tries to avoid his sharp yet charisma eyes. She looks pass him and sees Hailey in Chansung’s arms. “I should have asked you first before I promise the little girl to help her plant more roses here.” She said.

            “This is her home as well. Anything to make her happy, I am open to abiding it.” Said Taecyeon in delighted tones. “It just means that you will be here more frequent.”

            “I promise to help her planted roses. Once the roses are planted. I will be back to my old life. That when my contract with you should end.” Said Yoona with slight shyness yet sadness.

            “The contract between two companies, not between you and I.”

            Yoona looks up in slight surprise and confused.

            Taecyeon takes a step closer to her. “The deal between us hold till I say we are done.”  He said.

            Yoona did not object, nor retaliate him. Her face is not blank or shows any negative emotion. She only has the caring eyes when she looks at Hailey. Taecyeon glances at Hailey, who’s smiling as she plays with Chansung’s face. He looks at Yoona again. The soft wind brushes the roses and blows through her soft hairs.  Taecyeon is mesmerized by her sense and beauty glowing under the sunlight. Thump. Thump. Thump. He hears his heart beating fast yet content. Yoona is pleasant by the sweet and soft aroma of the roses in the garden. She looks at the roses and watches them yield lightly with the winds.

            A guard walks up to Taecyeon. He bows before he speaks. “Master Ok. Council Kim is here.” Said the guard.

            “I’ll be there soon.” Said Taecyeon.

            “Yes, sir.” The guard bow before he leaves.

            “If you need anything, just let the maid know.” Said Taecyeon.

            Yoona gives him a slight nod. “The first thing I need is my phone. I like to give my sister and father a call.” She said. Taecyeon lips parted and ready to speak. “Don’t worry, I won’t tell him anything I saw or what happened to me. I just want to check on him.”

             Taecyeon nod lightly. “Granted.” He said. “I’ll have the maid bring you your phone. Anything else?” 

            “The second thing is I would a little more freedom.” Said Yoona. Taecyeon gives her an odd look. “What I mean is I like to have a date with Hailey. I like to show her around Seoul to cheer her up.”       

“Even if you don’t ask. You are still free to go where ever you like with my guard following and protecting you.” Said Taecyeon with charisma eyes. Yoona raises her head with a slight mad face.

            “How would I know when you told me to stay put here. You told me I couldn’t go home. This damn Ok Taecyeon.” Yoona pouted as she complained inside her head.

            Taecyeon sneeze. Yoona secretively smiles. He sneezes again.

            “Uncle Taecyeon, did you catch a cold?” Hailey asked.

            “More like someone jinx me.” Said Taecyeon. He glances at Yoona, who’s still quietly giggling.

            Taecyeon could not stop himself from expression unusual emotion—a soft smile—as he looks at the beautiful smiles in front of him. A smile that reminds him of his mom that died in a painful death in front of him as he hides in a dark corner await for safety.

            Yoona looks at him as to see the smile disappear.

            “Did he just smile?” Yoona whispers inside her head.  

            Taecyeon turns around. His back facing her. He looks at Chansung and Hailey, who both are looking at him.

            “Take her inside,” Taecyeon ordered in a cold tone.

            Chansung nods. He carries Hailey back into the mansion. Yoona was clueless as she stands behind him, looking at is back. Taecyeon did not turn around. He keeps his cold and serious face as he stares at the open spaces. Yoona wanted to call out his name and question him but something was stopping her. She could not utter a word, only to looks at his back. Taecyeon begins walks back into the mansion, leaving Yoona slightly confused as she stands in the garden.

            “How can a person change so fast in such a short time? From being a caring uncle to the child who just her parent into someone cold heart person that ignores someone else feeling.” Yoona let out a soft sighed. She strolls back to the mansion.

* * * * *

[The Im Enterprise]

            Yoona has been missing for days. Yuri and Mr. Im is worry about her well-being and fear something bad has happened to her. Yuri had called the police after 24 hours of not hearing from Yoona and her whereabouts. She filed a report, but no answer from them. Yuri takes the elevator to her floor and down the left hall to her office. She enters the room, walks up to the chair and seated at her office desk. Leaning her head on the chair headrest. Her cellphone rings. She reaches for her phone from the purse and looks at the caller ID.

            Yuri quickly answered “Yoona!” She speaks in a tone of excitement yet worry. “Where are you? Where have you been these past days? Why did you not come home? Did you know I call the police for you? I even filed…”

            “Unnie, I’m safe. I’m sorry that I have not to call or leave a message….I got too busy. But just know I am safe.” Yoona cut off her words.

            “Safe?” Yuri questioned. “Do you know how worry appa and I are? We thought something happens to you. Where are you right now?”

            Yoona did not answer……

            “Yoona?”

            “I’m at Taecyeon’s place,” Yoona answered.

            “What?” Yuri said in a shock tone.

            “I’ve been staying at his place for the past days working on some project with him.”

            “And?”

            “There’s nothing more.”

“Just you and him at his place?”

“No. There are others here as well.” Yoona explained. “I’ll be home once the project is completed.” Said Yoona. “That’s all I can tell you. For the police part. I will give them a call and close the case.”

            “How long will it take?” Yuri asked.

            “I don’t know.”

            “Yoona…”

            “Don’t worry. I’ll be fine. Tell appa I'm safe and take good care of himself.” Said Yoona

            Yuri sign. “Okay.” She said. “You should also give appa a call too. He is worried about you.”

            “If I call, it will only worry him more. I will send him a message.” Said Yoona.

            “Okay. I send him your words.” Said Yuri.

            “Thank you unnie.” Yoona said with smiles. “Bye.”

            “Bye.”

            Yuri and Yoona end the call at the same time. Yuri holds onto her phone tightly as she stares at the desk. The sound of knocking on the door echoes the room.

            “Come in.” Yuri said.

            The door open. Seungri enters the room before he closes the door. She looks at his sad face. Aside from her, Seungri is also worried about Yoona’s well-being. The last time he saw her was the night before the Lycan pursued Yoona up the mountain.

            Seungri sees Yuri holding onto her phone, “Did I interrupt the conversation?” He asked.

            Yuri shakes her head lightly ‘no’ before she speaks. “No, I just finish talking to Yoona.”

            Seungri eyes widen with happy smiles upon hearing Yoona’s name. “Where is she? Is she okay?” He asked.

            “She’s fine. She’s with Taecyeon.” Said Yuri.

            The smiles disappeared. “Why is she with him?” He asked in a tone of jealousy. “Why didn’t come home these past days? Why didn’t at least call m…I mean you or your father.”

            “Seungri, I understand.” Said Yuri. “Yoona said she is safe. She will come home once things are settled.”

            Seungri nod lightly. “Okay.” His tone was half-despaired, half-worry.

* * * * *

            Taecyeon enters the room. Jong-kook waits patiently for him at the couches in front of the fireplace. Jong-Kook put the glass of wine down on the table.

            “I didn’t expect you to hear this early.” Said Taecyeon.

            “Enemies everywhere. My location has been exposed. I might as well come here early.” Said Jong-Kook. He looks at Taecyeon. “She’s a beautiful young lady.” Said Jong-Kook in a calm tone. “I didn’t know you take interest in a human.”

            Taecyeon was slightly annoyed by his word but did not let it disturb him. He takes a seat in the single couch that is placed on the left.

            “Are you thinking about making her your woman?” Jong-Kook asked.

            Taecyeon did not answer.

            Jong-kook slightly smirk. “You don’t have to answer. I see everything. If you care for her then make her your queen but let me remind you something. The world you are in is different from her world.”

            “She knows.” Taecyeon finally speak. “She had seen us transformed…. She had seen me shift in front of her.”

            Jong-Kook surprised by his words.

            “The Jin used her as bait. Our location was exposed.” Taecyeon continued in a calm tone.

            Jong-Kook chuckles lightly. “I see.” He said. “Well, let me go prepare for the next war. It has been a long time since I’ve fought.”

            “Very well.”

            “And I do hope you have a back-up plan if the war falls out of our favor.”

            “It won’t.” 

            “Taecyeon.” Chansung bow lightly after entering the room. “Miss Im want to take Hailey out for a trip.”

            “You trust her?” Jong-kook ask as he looks at Taecyeon.

            “Get the car ready. I’ll be joining them as well.” Said Taecyeon.            

            “Yes, sir.” Chansung bow again before he leaves the room.

            “I had the maid prepare you a room. In the meantime, make yourself feel like home and be prepared for the next war.” Said Taecyeon as he heads to the door.

            Jong-kook lightly bows with a smile. The door shut. Jong-kook takes a deep breath then looks around the room. Books almost at every corner. “Like father, like son.”

 

[Hailey exploring the mansion….]

            A couple knocks on the door but it slides open. Hailey runs to Yoona, grab her hand, and drag her out of the room down the hall.

            “Where are you taking me, Hailey?” Yoona asked as she follows her.

            “I found something.” Said Hailey in an excited tone.

            They keep running and running, from one hallway to the next. Yoona glance—paying close attention to the mansion. “Come to think about it, this place is like a castle.” She whispered.

            Suddenly, she came to a stop. They stop in front of a mahogany thick doors. She looks down at the little Hailey who is still holding onto her hand. Hailey smiles before she let go of Yoona’s hand and grab the door handles. She pulls the handles down and pushes the doors. Another grand room open in front of their eyes. 5 feet away from the center of the room is a very pretty bloom rose protected in a clear bulletproof case.

            “Aunty Yoona, I was exploring the place and found this room. I open the doors and saw that rose.” Hailey explains as she holds Yoona’s hand again.  

            Hailey walks Yoona up to the rose. Yoona is astounded by the vivid color and how beautiful it blooms in front of her eyes. Hailey let go of Yoona hand and explore the room again. Yoona’s eyes are too drawn to the rose to notice what Hailey was doing. Her eyes glide down to the four fallen petals in the case.

            “This rose….?” Yoona whispered. “It’s standing on its own.”

            Yoona places her right hand against the clear glass case. She’s trying to get the feel….the rose sensation. Somehow, she feels Taecyeon’s heartbeat against her palm. She was feeling his emotion, his heartbeat, and his loneliness.

            “What are you doing here?” Said Taecyeon in a cold and mad tone. His voices startle her. Her body jumps a little then immediately turn around. She sees him at the doorway. His eyes are scary. They are sharp, cold, and furious as it beams at her.

            “Uncle Taecyeon.” Hailey rushes to Yoona and hide behind her after she met his fury eyes.

            Taecyeon looks down and sees how frightened Hailey is. He looks at Yoona.

            “This room is off limit. You shouldn’t be here.” He said in an unchanging tone.

            “I’m sorry.” Yoona cut short. She does not know what to say to him with Hailey still with them but stay silent.

            “Haile, go to the front door. Chansung is waiting for you there.” Said Taecyeon without taking his eyes off Yoona.

            Hailey mood lightened up hearing Chansung name. She looks at Yoona, who gives her a slight nod to leave. She runs out of the room. Once Hailey was away. Taecyeon walks closer to her.

            He stops about two feet away from her. “What did you feel?” His tones change, slightly different this time. “The Rose…” He glances at the rose then back at her. “You look curious why it’s in the case, protected.…so what do you feel?”

            Yoona lightly gulps as she looks into his eyes. “I….” She stuttered half-frightened, half-nervous.

            Taecyeon looks down at her right hand. He reaches for it, holds it and guides it up to his chest. Yoona heart beating nervously as her eyes follow her right hand. Taecyeon places her right hand where his heart is at.

            “Is this what you felt earlier?” Said Taecyeon in a cold yet somewhat seductive tone.

            Yoona looks up and into his eyes. His eyes are glowing—it’s turning into deep blue eyes. The eyes she once saw that night at the mountain. The eyes the frightened her but also attract hers in some way.

            “The rose… why is in a box case?” Yoona asked in confusion. “Why is the rose connected to you?”

            Taecyeon stays silent as he looks at her. He wanted to tell her, but afraid that once the truth is out. She will betray him. He closes his eyes, clearing his head before he opens his eyes again. His eyes are back to its human color.

            “Don’t come in here again.” He said.

            “Why?”

            “There are things you shouldn’t know…. it’s better that way.” He said. “We should go. Others are waiting in the front.” He holds onto her hand and walks out of the room.

 

To be continued……………..