Chapter 13: The pain

Beauty and the Beast

[The next day……] 

            A high-class luxury car, Mercedes Maybach S650, drive up a popular university main entrance high-way. Thankfully, it was during class time. Only a few students notice it for a short moment before they continue to walks to their class. Their arrival did not attract many students on campus. Chansung gets out of the vehicle, walks over to the passenger of the back, and open the door for Taecyeon. He stepped out of the vehicle and looks around.

            “He’s here?” Taecyeon questioned.

            “Yes.” Chansung answered.

            “In what department?”

            “I believe he’s in the Health and Wellness department.”

            Taecyeon nod lightly and signal Chansung to leave. Chansung bow before he walks over to the driver side and drives the car to the parking lot. Taecyeon stroll along the small park between the building. One soft sniff, Taecyeon recognize a familiar sense nearby. He continues to a modernize glass building and enters. He follows the sense up to the second floor and down the West hall. He stopped in front of a room. A glance through the small glass rectangle of 6 by 12 window, he sees a man holding onto the eraser and cleaning the whiteboard. Taecyeon grabs the doorknob and pushes it downward. A soft push, the door open. The man stops what he was doing. Taecyeon enters the room and closes the door behind him.

            “It has been a long time, Taecyeon.” The man put the eraser down on the whiteboard little shelves before he turns and looks at Taecyeon.

            “You’ve hidden here for a century?” Taecyeon asked.

            He shook his head, “No. I’ve gone to other places as well. I do my best to stay out of the vampires and the Jin clan’s eyes.”

            Taecyeon nods his head lightly. “Jong Kook, have you heard the news?”

            Jong Kook shook his head.

            “Sunye was killed a few nights ago.”

            The news shock Jong Kook. 

            “Sunye and her husband were ambushed on their way here. The clan was under attack last night.”

            “What about Hailey?” Jong Kook asked.

            “She is safe.” Said Taecyeon.

            “It has been over a century since the last war between the Daegun and the Jin clan…. now, another war rise.” Said Jong Kook.

            “The next blue moon is not too far. We are still looking for the other half of the stone.”

            “Min-Jun is here?” Jong Kook asked. Taecyeon nod. “What about Rain?”

            “Still on the search.”

            “Without the fifth elder, the stone will not be effective.”

            “I will take her place till Hailey is ready to take the seat in the council.” Said Taecyeon.

            “Very well.” Said Jong Kook. “Give me a few days to put in my notice to the university. I will meet you at the clan.”

            “I will send a few guards here. I do not want any more lives taken.” Said Taecyeon. “I would rather be safe than lose another elder of The Order.”

            Jong Kook nod. “Spoke like a true king.”

* * * * *

            Chansung walks away from the car to the Health and Wellness building. He takes out his phone and clicks on an app. The app opens, Chansung tap on the screen again. Through the phone, he sees check the security of the mansion. Elite guards walking around, making sure no intruders are within the 150 meters of the mansion. He stopped when he notices a shadow hiding behind one of the walls on campus.

            “On broad daylight?” Chansung whispered. He smirks.

            Chansung dash to the shadow hiding. The man hurries and escapes before he is caught but it was too late. Chansung makes the first move. The man was hit at the upper chest. Chansung throws a few kicks and punches at the masked man. He successfully injures the masked man but unsuccessfully unmasked the man.

            “Unmask yourself.” Chansung command.

            The man in frightenedly and slowly back away from him. Chansung carefully examines the masked man and sees the Daegun pendant on the collar of the top. He throws a few fierce fists at the masked man, trying to unmask him and take his life at the same time. The masked man dodges as much as he could but Chansung was too quick. He manages to grab the mask from the right side and pull it across to show his face. The man reacts quickly and grabs the mask back, covering his face from exposing the face fully mask did not speak nor did he do as he was asked. He

            Chansung saw a part of the face, “Traitor!” He shouts before he attacks again.

            The masked man panic and runs away. He makes a big leap in the air to the tree. Chansung chases after him. Taecyeon and Jong Kook heard Chansung voice with their super enhancive hearing.

            “They are here.” Said Jong Kook.

            Taecyeon looks out the window. “It seems like we’ve been watch since the beginning.” He said. “Report to the mansion by nightfall. I will have the guards here shortly.”

            Jong Kook nods. “Where will you go?” He asked.

“I have a few things to take care.” Taecyeon said.

Taecyeon leaves the room and hurries out of the building. He traces the sense into the park about half a mile away from campus. There he sees Chansung standing at the center of the grassy field. Chansung walks up to Taecyeon.

            “I think I know who’s the traitor is.” Said Chansung. “But we need to head back to the mansion. I have to make sure something.”

            Taecyeon nod. He did not question Chansung about the traitor. “Did anyone see you and the enemies?”

            “I’m sorry, I was careless. I did not pay attention to my surrounding.” Said Chansung with his head bow.

            “Just a little commotion. I don’t think people will take it seriously for now. Next time, be careful.” Taecyeon said.  

            “Understood.”

            “Have a few of your most trusted guard come and guard Jong Kook.” Taecyeon said. Chansung nod before he and Taecyeon quickly head back to the car.

            As Taecyeon seated in the back of the car, his smartphone vibrates against his chest. He pulls out his phone from the pocket and read the message sent from the company.

            “Chansung, to the enterprise.” Taecyeon said as he continues to read the message.

            Chansung makes a right turn and speed to the enterprise as quickly as possible.

           

[The Ok Enterprise]

            Chansung stops the car in front of the building. The valet boy hurries up to the car. He grabs the door handle and opens the door for Taecyeon. Chansung was around the back of the car and follow Taecyeon into the building. The valet boy drives the car to the parking lot. Around two dozen employees look at Taecyeon confusingly. Yellow tapes wrap from the front help desk to the full-length window. About 5 police officer and two senior stands by the elevator, recording the words from the employees. The manager turns his head to the right and sees Taecyeon walking across the lobby. He quickly walks up to Taecyeon.

            “Mr. Ok.” The manager greeted in a shaky tone.

            “What happen?” Taecyeon asked in a fierce tone as he continues to walk to the elevator.

            A few of the staff were killed last night on the 15th floor. One of the staffs calls the police.  I’m sorry I came late and could not stop him from calling the police. However, I called senior office Jung, officer Park, and their men to arrive as fast as they could. They manage to come before the police and is now the 15th floor blocking outsider to entering.” The manager said as he escorts Taecyeon and Chansung to the elevation.

            “Any new reporters here?”

            “No, sir.”

            “Good. Keep them away.” Taecyeon said as he watched the policemen take note from the employee.

            A policeman walks up to them with his right out, blocking from walking closer to the elevator. “Sorry, you cannot enter. This area is block and under investigation.” One of the policemen said with his right arm out. 

           “Sir, this is the CEO of the enterprise.” Said the manager.

           “It doesn’t matter who or what he is. I say he can’t then he can’t.” said the policemen. “This is now under the policemen’s hands.”

           Taecyeon turns his head a little to the side and gives the policeman cold glares.

           “Sir, I wouldn’t stop him if I were you.” Said the manager in the shaky tone.

           “He’s just liked any other businessman.” The policeman said in a rude tone as he takes a step forward.

            Chansung put his hand at the policemen chest. He gives him a light pushes him away from Taecyeon. “You sure have a death wish.” Said Chansung in a serious tone.

            Policeman angrily pulls out the baton. Chansung eyes turn sharp and ready to give the policeman a punch.  

            “Stop!” The senior officer Jung shout. He hurriedly up to the police officer and slap him in the back of the head. “How dare you talk to Mr. Ok like that!”

            The policeman embarrassedly looks down and takes a couple of steps back away from Taecyeon.

            “Report back to the station now!” Senior Officer Jung shout.

            The policeman bows before he walks to the exit of the building, passing Taecyeon and Chansung.

            The senior officer bows repeatedly to Taecyeon, “I’m sorry Mr. Ok. He’s new and just a kid. He doesn’t know anything. I will give him a lesson once we are back at the department.”

            Taecyeon ignores them and walks to the elevator. The manager and Chansung follow him into the elevator up to the 15th floor.

            The elevator stopped on the 15th floor and the stainless doors slide apart. Taecyeon exits the elevator and walks to the room at the end of the hall. Two policemen open the thick dark color doors.  

           “Mr. Ok.” The senior officer greeted him with a bow.

           The manager rush to the glass door, grab the stainless bar and open it for Taecyeon to enter. Taecyeon walks straight into the room, passing all the policemen greeting him with a bow. His eyes rove the room as he clenches his teeth. His guards and employees lied lifelessly on the floor.  

            “No one is allowed to enter the room without my permission.” Senior Officer Park said before he entered the room.

            “Yes, sir.” The Park Policemen salute. The manager closed the door once the senior office step in the room.

            Chansung walks up to examine the wounds; severe claw marks at the neck and chest. He walks up to the next closest and sees the same marks left on the body. All wear killed by hands.once of the closest body and

            “They were killed by Lycans.” Said Chansung. “Sharp claws mark at the neck and the chest.”

            Taecyeon slightly turns his head to the left and looks at the manager from the corner of his eyes. “Did you check the security cameras?”

            “Ye—yes, I did but the cameras were destroyed. However, we got the last audio footage of the camera before it was destroyed.” The manager reported.

            Taecyeon looks at the senior officer, “Did anyone go through the security cameras?”

            “No. I have ordered my men maintain on the main floor and outside the room. Only my most trusted one is here on the same floor with me. No one is allowed to enter this room and the surveillance room.”

            “Get me the footage.” Taecyeon said before he walks around the room, looking from the dead body to the marks and damages in the room. Chansung walks over to the next body and continues to look for clues. He traces his hand over the bite at the shoulder, feels the blood in between the index finger and the thumb. With a soft sniff, Chansung clean fingers with the dead body handkerchief.

            “The bites are still fresh and none are contaminated. They are newbies.” Said Chansung, looking at Taecyeon.

            “Was there anything missing?” Taecyeon asked the manager.

“The drive that holds the finance and partnerships. It’s encrypted with automatic data destruction if the networks do not match the enterprise. The drive also required your keycodes to be decrypted.” Said The manager.  

            Taecyeon stops in front of one main monitor that still functions. With his special ability, Taecyeon closes his eyes and inhale softly, smelling the strong senses that still roam the room. He recollects the scenes of the previous night inside his head. The sound of terrifying screams as they seek for help or escape flood inside his head. He could see Woo Bin’s men killing his employees one after another, leaving the lifeless bodies on the floors.

            Taecyeon opens his eyes and clenches his teeth as he stares at the bodies. “Manager Yang clean up the mess. I don’t want any of this to leak.”

            “Yes, Mr. Ok.” The manager Yang said with a bow.

            “Give the deceased staff’s family pension. Let them know that all their debt is paid off.” Taecyeon instructed.

            The manager bow again.

            “Find me Hyun Joong.” Taecyeon said.

            Chansung bow.

* * * * *

            Sohee moving her head left to right as she dreams of Sunye standing in front of her with a warm smile. “Let go of your sadness. Let go of your mind. Let it be free and live a happy life. A life full of smile and joy.” Sunye whispered. “I want you to know that I love and care for you a lot. I will also be by your side even if we are an ocean apart.”

Sunye whispered was like a soft lullaby… her encouragement… her moral support. The happiness soon disappeared, a happy dream turns into a nightmare. The death of Sunye and James awaken her. Sohee jolts her upper body up, inhaling and exhaling heavily as she looks at the duvet. Hyoyeon and Taeyeon, who was sitting by the window, look at her. Seeing the sweat and shock facial expression, they walk over to her.  

            “Are you okay?” Taeyeon asked.

            “I’m fine.” Sohee said in a weak tone.

“Did you have a nightmare?” Hyoyeon asked.

Sohee lightly shakes her head ‘no’. “Where is Nichkhun?” She asked them.

            “He left.” Said Taeyeon in a soft tone. “He didn’t say where but only say he will be back by the time you wake up.”

            Sohee immediately gets off the bed and storm out the room.

“Sohee!” Hyoyeon shouts as she and Taeyeon follow her down to the main floor.

The three of them stop when they see a group of men in the house.

            “Annyounghaeseyo Miss Sohee.” Jackson said, greeting her with a bow.

            The men behind him bow as well.

            “Who are you?” Hyoyeon asked.  

            “I am Jackson, Nichkhun’s personal guards.” He introduced himself first to the three of them. “And they are the Daegu 's guards. Nichkhun has ordered us to come and make sure you don’t leave this house until he is back.” 

            “I need to go somewhere. Move aside.” Sohee said with determination to leave.

            “I’m sorry Miss. We can’t let you leave this house.” Jackson said with his head slightly bowed.

Sohee stubbornly walks to the door but is stopped by the guards. Hyoyeon and Taeyeon try to stop Sohee.

            “Let go of me!” Sohee said loudly.

            Jackson and the guards have their arms spread out, not daring to grab or touch Sohee.

            “Sohee!”

            Sohee stop she heard Nichkhun’s voice. Jackson and the guard step away from Sohee. They stand behind Nichkhun.

            Sohee inhales and exhales heavily as she looks at Nichkhun.

            “Where do you intend to go? Seek revenge for Sunye and James?” Nichkhun question as he walks up to her. “You are no match for them.”

            “Do you expect me to stay still and do nothing. Sunye is my sister. She was the only closest family I have left.” Sohee said as she shed tears. “I dreamt of them last night. I dreamt of their death last night.” Sohee falls to her knees in tears.

            Nichkhun inhales and sadly looks at Sohee. He knows the pain she’s in. He is in pain as well. The lost of Sunye and James was dishearten news to the clan. He kneels in front of her and gently wiping her tears away. “I promise you, I will avenge Sunye and James. I will not let them die innocently… Right now, I can’t risk losing another life. I need you to stay hidden till I get us a safe flight back to Seoul…. Taecyeon and Hailey are waiting for you. Sunye… she wouldn’t want to see you like this. I remember her saying she loves seeing you happy.”  He said. Sohee nods feebly. He looks up at Taeyeon and Hyoyeon. “Please her back to her room for me.” He asked.

            Both lightly nod before they walk up to Sohee and help her stand back to her feet. As they turn around, Nichkhun reaches for Taeyeon’s free hand.

            “Can I please have a word with you?” He asked.

            Taeyeon nod lightly. Hyoyeon escorts Sohee back to the room.

            “Jackson, have the guards keep an eye out for an unexpected visitor.” Nichkhun ordered without letting go of Taeyeon hand. “I need you to find us a flight back to Seoul as soon as possible.”

            “Understood.” Jackson said with a bow before he and the guards leave the house.

            The sound of the door screech as it closed. Nichkhun looks at Taeyeon. She still feels the heat on her cheek as she looks down at his hand holding her hand tightly.

            “Taeyeon.” Nichkhun called her. She looks up. “I hope holding your back does not scare you.”

            Taeyeon shakes her head ‘no’ lightly.

            “Last night, you left with a troubled face. Is everything okay?” Nichkhun asked with concern.

            “I was just thinking about my parent. Nothing important.” Taeyeon said, hiding the truth from him.

            “I’m sorry to keep you both here. It’s just for safety. I can’t let you or your sister leave yet.” He explained.

            “I understand.”

            “I brought a few blood bags for you and your sister. I will leave it in the fridge later.” Nichkhun said.

            “Thank you.” Taeyeon said.

            “If there’s anything you and your sister need, don’t hesitate to ask.”

            “There is.” Taeyeon said as she looks down at her holding hand. “Can you let go of my hand?”

            Nichkhun looks down and sees himself still holding her hand. He immediately let go. “I’m sorry. I was just… I—I.” He said with slight embarrassment.

            Taeyeon lightly smiles seeing his ears red and embarrassed face.

 

To be continued……………………..