Ch. 8: A deal for a life

Beauty and the Beast

            “Search the area!” Chansung exclaimed with sharp and fierce eyes looking at the train.

            “Yes, sir.” The group of guard scatter, searching around the area for clues.    

            Chansung slow pace around the train, looking down at the body on the soil ground. His eyes follow the sense of the enemy up to the roof of the train.

            “They left not too long.” Said Nichkhun in a gravelly tone. He stands and looks around the place. “If only we were here a minute early, they wouldn’t have to die.” Nichkhun looks at Chansung then down at James and Sunye’s unresponsive body. He notices one body missing. “Hailey.” He whispered.

            Nichkhun tries to sniff Hailey scent as he looks around the train. Nichkhun observes him from the center of the train. He stands at the middle of the section and closely examines the gap between the enemy and Sunye’s body. Both James and Sunye died near the end of the component while the rest lay dead at the other end. Nichkhun walks pass them to a small see-through room that leads to the exit of the train. He carefully looks at the floor, stomping a couple time and then sniff for her scent but instead a strong smell of alcohol close by…very close by. Chansung

            “Mommy?” Hailey quietly called out for Sunye.

            Nichkhun immediately looks down where he was standing. His eyes follow the line then kneel to his right knee. He traces he finger over the line and found a hole inward. A hole with a metal grip. He grabs on it and pulls it upward. He opens the door to a secret storage under the train.  

            “Hailey!” Nichkhun called out her name in a tone of relief.

            “Samchon Nichkhun.” Hailey reaches her hand out. Nichkhun carries her out of the little storage and hugs her tightly. “It’s okay. thank god you are safe. Everything is okay now.

            Hailey cries heavily in his arms. She was scared. She was terrified in a little dark room.

            “I’m here.” Said Nichkhun as he the back of her head.

            Chansung sigh in relief seeing Hailey safe.

            The guard came back to report to Chansung. “We can’t find them anywhere.”

            “You two carries James and Sunye body. The rest take care of the body.” Chansung ordered.

            Two guards walk up to James and Sunye. Hailey sees her parent lying on the ground. She runs to them and grabs onto Sunye’s right hand. “Mommy.” She called out. No, respond, “Mommy. Mommy.” She called her again as she calls and shakes Sunye lightly. “Mommy, wake up. Hailey is here.”

            Nichkhun and Chansung walk up to her. Nichkhun pulls her away and carries her up in his arm. The guard carefully carries their body.

            “What happen to mommy and daddy?” Hailey asked through the tears. “Why mommy did not open her eyes?”

            “Hailey, mommy and daddy… they have gone somewhere far.” Nichkhun tries to explain to Hailey.

            “I want to go with mommy and daddy. I want to go with them.” Hailey struggling to break free but Nichkhun continues to hold her.

            “Let’s head back. We need to report this to Taecyeon. Their location was leaked. They were ambushed.” Said Chansung.

            Nichkhun nod, agreeing with Chansung. The four leave the scene: Nichkhun carrying Hailey in his arm, the guards carrying James and Sunye body, and Chansung leading the way. The rest stay behind and clean the place, getting rid of the body.

* * * * *

[At the hospital]

            The moon is at the highest peak. Its light shines brightly in Mr. Im’s room. Just like the night before, Yoona rests on the couch. Taecyeon walking out from the dark and quietly enter the room without waking Yoona up from her sleep. He observes her sleeping on the couch. His eyes stroll from her eyebrow down to her lips. A pair of pinkish-red lips that tempt him to come near her.

            Taecyeon gazes over at Mr. Im, still in a deep coma and unsure whether he will live or not if he does not have the herb. He walks over to Mr. Im and stands beside the bed. Taecyeon places his right hand where Mr. Im’s heart is. He listens to his heartbeat. Thump…..Thump……Thump.

            “It’s getting             weaker.Taecyeon whispered inside his head. He eyes unknowingly look over where Yoona is. She was still sleeping peacefully. He looks back Mr. Im and takes out a small testing tube out of his pocket. Taecyeon opens the lid and places the small tube at Mr. Im lips. He moves his right hand to Mr. Im chin—grab a hold of his chin and pull it downward. Mr. Im’s lip parted, Taecyeon pour the yellow-colt blue color liquid into Mr. Im mouth. When the tube is empty, he threw it into the trash can that place next to the nightstand.

            Yoona awake from the little noise. She sits up and looks into Mr. Im’s room. Her eyes jolt wide seeing Taecyeon standing beside her father. She immediately gets up and hurries to the room.

            “What are you doing here?” Yoona asked. Her eyes glide from him to her father.

            Taecyeon turns his head and looks at her. Yoona walks up to the bed and stands on the opposite side. She looks at the trash can and sees a small tube then looks at him.

            “What did you do? What did you give him?” Yoona asked in a worry and frightened tone.

            “A deal for a life.” Said Taecyeon in a deep voice. “I give him what you ask. Now, you fulfill the other half of the deal.”

            Yoona eyes full of shock and speechless as they face either. “The herb…” After she begged him today at his office, she didn’t think he would save her father. But he came. “Wha—what do you want me to do?”

            “I don’t want you to do anything.”

            “Then what do you want?”

            Taecyeon walks around the end of the bed and stands close in front of her. He looks at the beautiful moon before down at her. A moment to observe her beautiful eyes, nose, and lips. He let out a soft and low smirk. “I want you.” He said.

            His close presence makes her heart beating nervously fast. His words stiffen her. She forgot how to breathe for a second. She is wordless. Her mind is not in clear state either.

            “Me?”

            “Yes.” Said Taecyeon in a calm and deep tone.

Yoona gulp nervously.

“This deal is between you and me only. No one is to know about this.” Said Taecyeon.

            Yoona body was still stiff and in a state of shock. Taecyeon walks out of Mr. Im’s room. On the way to the elevator, his phone ring and vibrate in the pocket of his jacket. He slides his hand inside and pulls his phone out.

            “Hello?” Taecyeon answered.

            “Taecyeon, you need to head back to the mansion now. James and Sunye….”

            Taecyeon’s eyebrows narrow, “What happen to them?”

            “They have been ambushed and killed.” Said Nichkhun.

            “What!” Said Taecyeon in a hoarse tone.

            Yoona heard his voice from the room. She walks out and sees him standing nearby the elevator.

            “How could this happen? What about Hailey?” Taecyeon asked.

            “She is safe but she keeps asking for her parent.”

            Taecyeon turns around and sees Yoona standing outside the room. “I’ll be back soon.”

            The two of them standing to look at each other for a moment. Her trying to understand his emotion by reading his facial expression. She’s confused. A minute ago, he was calm. But after he left not too long, he facial expression change differently; sadness swirl on his face. His charisma eyes fill with anger ready to explode any second. It shook her…frighten her.  

            Taecyeon turns around and hurries out of the hospital. He leaves her standing in the dark hall of the hospital confused.

* * * * *

[The Ok’s Mansion]

            Taecyeon storm into the grand library room—stop and sees James and Sunye’s body lying on the white futon. In disbelief, he walks over and stands by them. Taecyeon looks from head to toe; injuries everywhere but it does not make him mad as much as the hole at the center of the chest where the heart lies.

            Taecyeon’s hands roll into tight fists with fiery eyes. “How?...” Said Taecyeon in a deep yet irate tone. No one dares to answer yet. “The trip to Seoul was private…. How did the enemy know...How!”

            “We’ve been betrayed.” Said Min-jun. “Only a few people from the tribe know about their arrival.”

            “When Chansung and I got there, it was too late. The enemy disappeared. The tribe guards are all dead. Hailey was hidden in a secret small room below the train.” Nichkhun reported in detail.

            “Is she hurt?” Taecyeon asked in worries tone as he looks at Nichkhun.

            “No. There were no injuries. When I found her. She was surrounded by bags of food and heavy aroma of alcohol.”

            “Sunye must have done it to keep her scent away from other Lycan.” Said Taecyeon as he looks at Sunye. “A little Lycan scent is not strong as an adult.”

            “With one elder gone, we have to find the rest.” Said Min-jun.

            “Chansung?” Taecyeon turns and looks at him with fierce eyes.

            “I’m working on it.” Said Chansung.

            “I also want you to find out who leak their information.”

            Chansung nod. “I will find the person that cause Sunye and James’s life.”

            “I examine their body. It was not just a simple stab at the heart.” Said Min-jun as he walks up to Taecyeon. “There was some special silver venom in the sharp weapon used to stabbed both.”

            Taecyeon looks back at the bodies again. “There is only one person that would do this….Cha Seung Won.”

            "They finally show their face.” Nichkhun asked.

            “The last war has severely injured their leader. The only way to heal was to fall asleep for one hundred years. Remember when I told you that I suspected them here in Korea?” Said Taecyeon. Nichkhun nod. “ They never left Korea. They were just hiding somewhere. Only he was awake to watch and control their clan from falling apart. He trusts no one.”

            “The tiger has finally come out from its cave.” Said Min-jun.

            “Nichkhun, I order you to go bring Sohee back as soon as possible. Do not let her know about this till she is safe home first.”

            Nichkhun bow.

            “At last, the war has begun.” Said Taecyeon in a hoarse deep tone. He walks up to Sunye and reaches for her right hand. He holds it gently, “Sunye. James. I promise you with my life. I will protect and raise her up.” Taecyeon whispered inside his head.

* * * * *

            Taecyeon walks up the stair to Hailey’s room. The guard opens the door for him to enter the room. Once he enters, he sees the little Hailey’s crying on the bed and hugging onto her favorite stuff animal. He walks over to her, stand beside the bed.

            “I want mommy and daddy.”

            Hailey has been repeating these over and over. The maid has lost count and only tries her best to cheer her up, but fail.

            “Hailey…” Taecyeon called her name soft.

            Hailey turns and sees Taecyeon. She immediately runs to him. He kneels onto his right knee and embraces her. He lightly the back of her head.

            “Uncle Taecyeon, I want to see mommy. I want to daddy. I want to see them.” Hailey cries as she hugs him tightly, shedding tears onto his shoulder.

            “Hailey, uncle is here.” Said Taecyeon, avoiding her request. “Mommy and daddy…they went someplace far.”

            “I want to go with them.” Hailey pleads in tears.

            “You can’t… it not a place for you.” Said Taecyeon in sadness. “From now on, I will take care of you.”

            “No. I want mommy. I want daddy.” Said Hailey through the tears.

            Taecyeon is wordless. The only thing he can do is hold her, hug her in his arm till she falls asleep.

* * * * *

            Nichkhun did not waste a second to get on to the soonest flight to Tokyo. A few hours of flying, he arrived in Tokyo, Japan at 4:30 PM. Secretly walking out from the back door of the airport, a man stands beside a luxury sports car. Nichkhun walks up to him. The young man greeted him with a bow and hand him the car key.

            “Thank you, Jackson.” Said Nichkhun.

            Jackson replied with a smile.

            “You’ve been hiding here for several months now. Did you find any clue?”

            “I’ve been spying on the coven, but there no movement.” Jackson report.

            “Okay.” Said Nichkhun. “Continues to keep on an eye on them. If there’s any movement, notify me right away.”

            Jackson bow.

            Nichkhun walks over to the driver side—enter the car, start the engine, and then drives away. Jackson stand and watch him leave, making sure no one is following him.

            The drive to the University of Tokyo takes more than 20 minutes. When he arrives and parked in the parking lot, Nichkhun immediately searches for Sohee. Building to Building, he continues to walk around the university campus. Nichkhun takes a second to sniff her scent and he successfully picks up her scent. Closer and closer, he stops. Another scent hit him. A scent that shook his nerve and heart; turns his eyes from calm to fierce. He sprints like lightning to the studio in one of the building. The sound of the doors hit the wall hard echo the room. Sohee happily chatting with another young and beautiful girl at the end of the room, stop and sees Nichkhun inhaling and exhaling heavily as he stares at her friend.

            The young lady beauty attracts him, but her scent snaps him back to reality. Her scent was like a threat to him. Nichkhun furious storm to her and Sohee.

            “Nichkhun, wait!” Sohee step in front of her friend with both hands in the air.

            Nichkhun stops and looks at Sohee confusedly.  

            “She’s my friend.”

            “What?” Nichkhun questioned in slight surprise. He thought to himself, how can a Lycan befriend with a vampire. He looks at Sohee’s friend again. Her skin is very fair like snow. Her beautiful round eyes and thin lips. He couldn’t take his eyes off her.

            Sohee slightly turns around, “This is Taeyeon, my best friend.” She introduces her to Nichkhun. “You must be pissed off right now because of her scent.”

            “Piss off? Not really.” Nichkhun whispered inside his head.

            “She’s not the same as another vampire. She’s different.” Said Sohee, explaining to him.

            “Different or not, she’s still one of them.” Said Nichkhun in a hoarse tone.

Taeyeon was offended by his words, understanding what he meant. She takes a step closer to him. “If I want to hurt her, I would have done so the first day.” She spoke in Korean in an upset tone.

Nichkhun was slightly shaking. She understands and speaks Korean. hissed, “You can try. Lycan is not weak. The only vampire like you underestimate our ability.” He provokes her.

            His words make her angrier. “I did not say she was weak.”

            “Okay, stop it you two.” Said Sohee from the side. “Nichkhun, she is my friend. She is a very kind one. You can trust me.”

            Nichkhun still has his eyes on her. Seeing her upsettingly looks at him makes him ‘wretched’. Another scent hit his nasal. A familiar scent to her but a little more different. Two vampire scents in one room, but the one standing before him is softer than the other one.

            “She’s a hybrid if that is what you want to know.” Said another beautiful woman in Korean as she walks into the room.  

            “Hyoyeon!” She exclaimed as she looks at her. “Father said not to speak about this to anyone, especially a kind like him.” Now she upsettingly tried to provoke him with the same tone and words he used earlier.

            “Nichkhun, this is Hyoyeon. Taeyeon’s older sister.” Sohee introduced Hyoyeon to him.

            “You’re a full one.” Said Nichkhun.

            Hyoyeon pridefully smiles. She stops beside Sohee and looks at Nichkhun. “I know vampire and Lycan have been enemies for centuries, but we meant no harm to anyone. Our goal is to only live in peace.”

            “We don’t have to explain to him.” Said Taeyeon, still upset at him.

            Nichkhun inhales and exhales a couple time, looking away from her eyes for a second and give himself a moment to recollect his normal self again. “I’m sorry. I was a little too worried.” He said, looking at Taeyeon again. “I didn’t know you two speaks Korean.”

            “I can see.” Said Hyoyeon. “We are Korean migrated to Japan for over many decades.” She notices how attentive Nichkhun is toward Sohee. His eyes have been on Taeyeon since the moment he entered the room.

            “Anyway, why are you here?” Sohee asked, curiously.

            Nichkhun looks at Sohee nervously. “To visit.”

            “To visit?” She repeated.

            Nichkhun nervously gulps, “Yes. To visit you. It has been a long time since I’ve seen you. I just want to know how you are doing.”

            Sohee stands with her arms across and suspiciously looking at him. “You can call me over the phone.”

            “Seeing you in person is better. Taecyeon wanted me to check on you as well.” Said Nichkhun with a nervous smile.

            Sohee did not buy his words. “Something must happen back home.” She whispered inside her head. She wants to question him more but knowing his stubborn and tight lip personality; she will get nothing out of him.

            “Well, since you’re here. You’re just in time for the dance show that will take place at the theater here on campus.” Said Sohee with a bright smile. “We just finished practicing, why don’t we all go for a drink. I’m thirsty for some tea and food.”

            “That good sound.” Hyoyeon agrees. Taeyeon did not say a word.

            Nichkhun lightly nod.

 

To be continued………………………………….