Day 1 of 13

Your Guardian Angel

Two nights later, Eunhyuk lay in what used to be Donghae's bed. Inhaling Donghae's scent left behind on the pillows and blankets, he whispered words of comfort and cried himself to sleep. He was miserable, waking up everyday without his best friend, the one he loved to say 'Good morning!' to. No more... no more.

He hadn't eaten much for those 2 days. He found no reason to enjoy anything. He hadn't attended any of the memorials that was held in place for Donghae. Eunhyuk thought if he attended those, he wouldn't be able to control his emotions and make his fellow members feel even worse. Teuk had tried to force Eunhyuk to eat and drink, and to try to continue his everyday activities. It was useless. Without Donghae, Eunhyuk felt like a shell of a person, present in appearance but hollow inside.

Everyday and every night, Eunhyuk would slip into Donghae's room and hide beneath the blankets. Days past, and Donghae's scent faded. Only his pictures, fan gifts, and fan posters remained in the room. Eunhyuk couldn't handle this anymore... he needed to end things. He wanted to be with Donghae.

Eunhyuk walked with heavy steps up to the roof of their dorm. Their building was a tall one, overlooking Seoul. Eunhyuk sat on the edge. He had seen suicide attempts many times, and could never understand why they would even try. Eunhyuk edged forward. Cars drove by below, families walked by, couples walked by. Eunhyuk's vision blurred once again.

He didn't want to, but then again- he did. He closed his eyes, causing the tears to stream down his cheeks. Finally, he edged forward once more, one movement away from falling off the building. "Donghae-ah....." Eunhyuk whispered. At last, Eunhyuk edged forward once more. He closed his eyes, expecting the last fall of his life.

But he didn't move. Not one inch. Hyuk, why are you doing this? Eunhyuk heard a soft whispering sound behind him. Please don't do this... Come down from there. Eunhyuk blinked. He was going crazy, he was sure of it. Haha, no.... Hyuk-ah.. it's me..... "Donghae?" Eunhyuk recognized the voice. Yes..... "How? No.. no way. No...." Eunhyuk slipped down to the roof floor and sat huddled against the wall. Haha, you're so cute like that. "How... what?!" Eunhyuk's mind was spinning.

Listen to me... I can only be here for 13 days. And I want to spend all those 13 days with you.

"What are you now....? A ghost? A spirit?" Eunhyuk reached out in front of him, but felt nothing.

ㅋㅋ You're so silly! No, I'm still Donghae, but merely Donghae's soul.

And with that, Eunhyuk felt an embrace around him. Please don't feel sad and try to take your own life. It would only make me feel upset. You don't want me to be upset, do you? Eunhyuk shook his head. He felt Donghae let go and sit by his side.

How is everyone? he asked. "Why don't you find out? Go talk to them like you're talking to me." Eunhyuk said. His question was met with silence. "Are you still there? Donghae?" Eunhyuk felt the presence shift from his right to his left.

I can't talk to everyone, Eunhyuk. Only you. "Why? Teuk hyung and all the other members miss you a lot too..." Eunhyuk's words trailed off, remembering the tears of 12 angels at Donghae's memorial.

I.... can't say..... I'll only be here for 13 days, Hyuk. I hope you can remember that. Eunhyuk's eyes seemed far and distant. "Why can't you stay here longer?! WHY?" Eunhyuk's fist clenched. "It's not fair.. it's just not fair."

Nothing is ever fair, Hyuk. Please don't get angry. It'll be okay.

And with those words, Donghae's presence disappeared.