Summer Festival

Hyung... Saranghae!

*** Chapter 9: Summer Festival ***

 

“Kang Daniel is back in town,” Hoseok came and flung his arms around his beloved Bangtan team members as usual that morning.

“Kang Daniel? The Actor?” Taehyung asked.

“Yeah. He has done his filming so he is back at campus,” Hoseok added.

“Good then,” Yoongi remarked. “Now the days will be more peaceful for us.”

That was true. Kang Daniel was a 2nd year student in Theatre Department, but he was already famous in the country since long before. He played a role in a drama that became a major hit earlier last year, and his fame never faded out since then. With his handsome face and perfect muscular manly look, he was undoubtedly a super star for the younger generation.

He was the only one person who had a larger fan base than Bangtan in SIA. Now that he’s back to attending classes, the crowd would surely drift to him. Although, some loyal fans of Bangtan would still follow their idols around like usual. Some hearts just could not be changed.

“He is back right in the time for the audition for the Summer Festival Musicals,” Seokjin remarked.

“Yeah.. Definitely won’t miss the chance,” Namjoon agreed. “Last year he played Romeo in the co-ed musical, and it earned him the entire spotlight.”

“But he was really good. He deserved it,” Jungkook admitted.

“Taehyung-a, will you join again this year?” Jimin asked. “Last year you were marvelous for playing Snow White.”

“I plan to. But I wish I could get a male role this time. Playing a girl is a bit difficult.”

“But hyung looked so pretty back then,” Jihoon teased, beaming a mischievous grin.

“But I’ll never be prettier than you,” Taehyung countered him by pinching his cheeks.

“Aww, hyung.. that hurts…” the cute boy pouted.

“Jihoon-a.. Will you join the play?” Woojin asked.

“I would like to try. But I’m not even sure if I can pass the audition,” he shrugged.

“Be confident, hyung,” Guanlin encouraged. “I know you are good. And you will never know until you try.”

“Do you wanna join to?” Jihoon asked him back.

“Yeah. Whichever play you take, I want to be part of it too,” he leisurely grinned, earning a smack from the scary Wink fairy, but a high-five from Jungkook.

“Good boy! You are indeed my apprentice!”

“Since when did you teach him your cheesy words?” Jimin snapped. “I have enough one flirty Jeon Jungkook in my life, I don’t need the second one around! Stop teaching him unnecessary things!”

“Guanlin is not after you,” Jungkook riposted.

Jimin said no more words but just glaring daggers at his fan, while the boy playfully stuck his tongue out.

 

*******

 

One of the main attractions of Seoul Institute of Arts is their Summer Festival, where the institute would hold a series of artistic performances. The show would be opened for public, of course. The major interest would be the musical plays. As usual, there will be three musicals: all-boys, all-girls, and the co-ed. All plays had their own fair share of interests from their respective fans.

The auditions for the plays were open for all students of SIA, no matter what their major were. Mostly, students would apply for their expertise, such as Creative Advertising students would join the publishing team, Music student would compose the songs, and Design students would be the stage crews. But it did not rule out the possibility if some like Photography students would like to play as the actors. All you had to do was just passing the audition.

But yeah, most of the times, students from Acting and Theatre departments would dominate about 80% of the overall casts.

Last year Taehyung played as Snow White in the all-boys play, while some of the dancers in the Bangtan team won the role of the dwarves. But this time, none of Hoseok, Jimin, Jungkook, or even Woojin, were interested. They prefer to join only the Dance performances, because they realized that acting was not their cup of tea.

“The play for all-boys this year is ‘Frozen’. What role do you want, Jihoon-a?” Taehyung asked. They were loitering around the Theatre hall ground, waiting their turn to apply for the play.

“I guess I want to be Anna,” Jihoon bit his lips, concerning his choice. Taehyung held his desire to land a kiss over the cute sight. “But won’t it be too hard for me?” the cute boy continued.

“Just try it first. You are pretty, cute and tough. I bet her role is perfect for you,” his lover cheered him.

“What about you, hyung?” Jihoon asked back.

“Actually I wanna play something funny like Olaf…”

“No way, hyung…” Guanlin cut instantly. “That role is for me. You should play as Kristoff if Jihoonie-hyung plays Anna. Or at least Hans…”

“You sure?” Taehyung giggled, he had heard everything from his boyfriend that Guanlin already knew about them. “You are too tall to play Olaf. You don’t want to play Hans, instead?”

“And losing Jihoon-hyung over you again even in the play? No thanks..” Guanlin put his both hands up. “I want a cheerful character like Olaf. He gets to be around both sisters anyway…”

Taehyung raised his eyebrows. Jihoon was amazed with the blunt honesty.

“Suit yourself boy, I’ll try for Kristoff then,” the oldest patted the taller boy. Both had come to term with each other, and accept the facts to become friends. They were teammates anyway.

They were still chatting and teasing each other, not really caring for the crowds around them, although sometimes the patted here and there to talk with their friends who was obviously waiting in line to pick some roles too.

Jihoon was wearing a bright pink shirt that day, and he died his hair light brown some days ago, in hope to imitate the role he wanted, Anna. He was definitely attracting some attentions even from those who should be used already to see the most famous cute boy in the college hanging around with them, because Jihoon himself was pretty much sociable.

But some was still fallen victim into his bewitching beauty.

Even if the person already had a mass of people worshipping him as if he was a god himself.

Even when he was just looking at the Wink Fairy from miles away, from where he was standing.

“Hyung… Who is that?” he pointed to a direction for his friend to see.

Seongwoo followed the direction and found whom he meant. “That pink shirt light brown haired boy?”

He nodded, without losing eye contact from the boy who captivated him.

“That’s Park Jihoon. Park Jimin’s little brother. He is a freshman in Acting dept. I guess he’s registering for the plays too,” Seongwoo answered. “Why, Niel-a?”

Seongwoo turned his head and found Daniel was still staring at the boy in question. His eyes did not even blink.

“Niel-a…” Seongwoo waved his hand in front of the younger’s face. “Daniel!”

Just then the superstar realized that he was not alone.

“Hyung… help me to find out… What play he’s joining… and which role…”

“What?”

“I want to play alongside him…”

“You WHAT?!” Seongwoo was genuinely surprised.

“Just help me, hyung… Please…”

 

*******

 

The whole Theatre Hall was in uproar when they found out that Kang Daniel was registering in all-boys musical for the role of Prince Hans of Frozen. He played in co-ed musical last year, and none of his fans understood why he wanted to be part of an all-boys play. They always taught that he was a straight guy, although that did not necessarily meant that the player for the all-boys were specifically gay, or bi, but they thought that if he was seeking romance as per his forte, he would be better playing in the co-ed musical which would be playing the famous Korean folklore, The Tale of Chunhyang.

Long story short, Daniel won the role despite the skepticism around him. He had asked his agency and they gave him green light as he reasoned that he wanted to challenge himself playing against a male. LGBT had become common anyway, and it was college’s project, so his agency gave him his freedom.

The topic that was blown right after, was about whom Daniel’s partner will be.

As you expected, the winner of the role was none other the college’s beloved Jeojang Kid, Park Jihoon.

Of course he already had his own fair share of fame, but to be playing the role of Daniel’s love interest, surely brought his fame into another level. Not only limited in SIA underground, but also it was spreading throughout Daniel’s fan base in the whole nation.

Yet Jihoon did not aware of the significance of his role. He was drowned in happiness because Taehyung won the role of Kristoff, and Guanlin won Olaf respectively, just as they wished. He did not really care about Daniel, because by then, his attention was drawn into the last most important role, Elsa.

The one who got the role was Ha Sungwoon.

Yes. Jimin’s ex-boyfriend.

Jihoon knew about him. He knew about his brother’s past. And he knew that he might be the cause when Sungwoon dumped his brother.

And now they would play the role as sisters. What an irony.

Jihoon was feeling uneasy when he noticed him before during the audition. Sungwoon was a 4th year student in Theatre. His acting was unquestionable. His high-pitched voice was strong and resonant. Combine those with his small figure, he was definitely perfect to be Elsa. And now if he thought about it, actually, he and Sungwoon looked promising to play as sisters.

Jimin was there too when they announced the casts for the play. He should had been happy that his brother got the role he wanted. But he did not really like the fact that Sungwoon was going to be the older sister.

Jihoon could still see some irritation left evident in his brother’s face. It made him wonder if he could get through the musical peacefully.

“Jihoon-a,” Jimin reminded, “If Sungwoon-hyung.. ever bring you to uncomfortable situation.. You have to tell me.”

“O..okay, hyung,” Jihoon saw no way to ignore his brother’s warning.

 

*******

 

Day after day, time passed away. It was finally the time for the musical members to start their practices. Everyone had received their script on the day of the announcement. Taehyung had guided Jihoon and Guanlin to learn what they needed to know regarding the script or anything important for the musical. They had come prepared, did not intend to embarrass themselves. It made them nervous, as well as some other new comers. Everyone was nervous in excitements, even the veteran seniors.

Kim Dongwan, an experienced musical actor, the professor from Theatre who became the head coach for the all-boys musical, noticed the tensions from his students. Therefore, he made the first practice sessions into some relaxing games, in purpose of teamwork building and making each casts knew their teammates better.

All casts and crews were there. Dongwan made them to stand in a big circle, while he placed himself right in the middle.

“All right, boys… Since we were all male here, anyone has any idea for exciting games?”

“Arm wrestling!”

“No! That’s old fashioned! Thigh wrestling is better!”

“Just do the actual wrestling!”

“MMA!”

“Boxing!”

“Okayokayokay…” Dongwan raised his arms to stop the commotion. He continued after the boys around him had calmed down. “As expected.. Men are about strength, eh?” he drew a wide smile. “Even mentioning about MMA and boxing..”

“We have a boxer here, professor.”

Everyone turned their attention to the source of the voice. And Jihoon could not believe his ears that his favorite hyung next to him was actually the one who shouted that. And when he looked up, actually Taehyung’s hand was raised, but the fingers were pointing down at him.

Okay. There were definitely some moments when a Kim Taehyung would do some unpredictable things to his own beloved ones.

“Who’s there?” Dongwan looked at them. “Oh, the handsome basketball boy. And isn’t that the Jeojang Kid?”

The professor came approaching them and stood in front of Jihoon.

“What is your name? Sorry I haven’t memorized all the boys’ names.”

“Park..Jihoon. My name is Park Jihoon, professor,” the boy politely answered.

Dongwan was scanning him from head to toe. “You’re not even taller than me. And your frame is even smaller. You sure you are a boxer?”

“N..no, professor. It’s just my hobby.. And I am not that good..”

“But he is very strong, professor,” Taehyung ensured.

Jihoon glared at him, but he looked cute doing it, and deep inside he held the desire to kick his lover right in his butts.

“Really?” Dongwan seemed interested. “Let’s prove it.”

The professor grabbed Jihoon by his hand and dragged him to the center. “Anyone wants to challenge this boy?”

One wolf instantly raised his hand high up after seeing the offering of a fresh cute lamb.

“Kang Daniel?” Dongwan pointed at him.

“Yes, professor,” the bulky wolf nodded.

“Okay, come here,” Dongwan waved his fingers. “And bring that table behind you.”

Daniel did as he said, and they were now standing in the middle, on the opposite sides of the table.

“Let’s start with something old-fashioned.” Dongwan took both Jihoon and Daniel’s hand and clasped them, preparing for arm wrestling.

Both boys bent their bodies and positioned themselves comfortably for the best probability of a win.

The professor counted the cue, and the game began.

Actually, Daniel was expecting a chance for a closer skinship, and a close up look to enjoy Jihoon’s beauty. But he was surprised at the sudden strength from the petite hand within his grasped.

Underestimating Park Jihoon was a big mistake. And Kang Daniel should had remembered it from the moment on.

He tried his best to counter, but he was late anyway. In a blink of an eye, he lost the match against the tiny figure in front of him.

“Waitwaitwait…” Daniel tried to maintain his pride. “I wasn’t ready yet. Can we try once more?”

Jihoon raised his eyebrows. Actually, from the grip and Daniel’s effort to counter just now, he already knew the strength of his opponent. He knew he could win again, although it might not be easy. He did notice that Daniel started later than he did.

“Okay..” the younger coolly accepted.

They restarted with Daniel was totally focused on the game.

He could not be that strong…

But he proved himself wrong. They started at the same time, but it seems that generous amount of strength was indeed coming out from the small cute creature in front of him. The superstar was giving his best. But in the end, he could not keep his pride. His hand was banged to the table for the second time.

“Wow! Well done, Jihoon-gun,” Dongwan clapped his hands. “Indeed I can see the strength of a boxer in you."

Jihoon straightened his body, looking all relaxed, while Daniel was looking at him with both eyes glaring widely. The smaller boy did not even look muscular at all. Or he just hid it behind his oversized shirt? But it did not make sense for him.

The game continued and Dongwan was very good in lifting up the mood from his students. After satisfied with some other rounds of arm wrestling from different pairs, he changed the game into thigh wrestling as per the students’ request.

Daniel came forward once again in hope for a revenge match to redeem his honor.

Jihoon tilted his head a little because he heard a thing or two, about the actor having a history in b-boying. He must had strong physic for that. But the cute boy did win over him in arm wrestling just now, Jihoon got nothing to lose. This senior was going to be his partner anyway. Perhaps he was just making themselves familiar with each other. That was what Jihoon thought.

They started with Jihoon became the first one to attack. He put his legs inside, trying to break open Daniel’s defense. As expected, it was hard to spread the bulky legs apart. But still, it was not that hard for a Park Jihoon who had spent most of his life fighting with Park Chamsae. He even noticed that Daniel flinched when he finally split his legs open.

“Sunbaenim, do you have injury on your leg?” Jihoon looked genuinely concerned.

“Yeah, but it was healed long time ago,” Daniel was not really surprised. If his junior was truly a boxing athlete, it would not be hard for him to notice his injury.

“You should not exert yourself, sunbaenim…”

Daniel was taken a bit by the younger boy’s attention. But he still had his curiosity.

“Now let’s switch roles,” Daniel proceeded by attacking Jihoon.

The boxer’s legs were obviously thinner compared to his, but Daniel found it very hard to split it open. He barely opened his legs for about five centimeters distance, but then the thin frame did not budge no more.

“Okay! Kkeut!” Dongwan stopped them. “Park Jihoon wins this match,” he declared.

The whole audience was literally jaw-dropped when Jihoon defeated Daniel mercilessly. They were aware of the fame of notorious hound-Jimin. When Jihoon physically looked totally different from his muscular brother, they would never have imagined any of this. Indeed, the strength gene must have run in the family.

“I never knew Jihoon-hyung is this strong,” Guanlin tapped Taehyung’s shoulder.

“Oh, you should remember it from now on. The only person I know stronger than him is Park Woojin,” Taehyung replied. “I am not even sure of Jungkookie. They never lay any hands on each other.”

“Yeah, I bet Jimin-hyung will beat Jungkook-hyung up if he ever did that,” Guanlin remarked casually, gaining a firm nod from his senior.

After the students were satisfied with another rounds of the game, Dongwan proceeded into some team games to plant the crews’ bonds and teamworks.

The professor made the students took turns counting from one to six, repeatedly, until the last person, and then they should gather with the persons shouting the same number. This way, he was making them grouping with some people who were not standing by their side, otherwise, they would group with their own friends if they were not scattered like that.

By the heaven’s will, Jihoon was in the same team with Daniel. But that was not his concern. He still knew nothing about Daniel’s interest and mild obsession in him. Daniel was a really good actor and he could hide it all. He had to keep his pride anyway. He wanted to ensure some things before jumping into conclusion.

Jihoon’s attention was drawn into one of his other teammates. It was Ha Sungwoon.

Yes, his brother’s ex was teamed with him too.

And Jihoon could not rest his heart at ease since the slightly shorter guy was currently eyeing him thoroughly, from head to toe, and then looking at him straight in his eyes.

And Jihoon could not feel anything pleasant from the way he looked.

Come on, Jihoon-a... He's going to be your sister... Perhaps he's just observing you... Don't think negatively... Don't jump into conclusions...

Jihoon tried his best to put those mindsets into his brain. He hid his nervousness along the games that required them to continuously had intimate skinship, such as standing together on a small piece of paper, or climbing on each other backs to create a tower.

His team was doing good considering three of the main casts were actually in the same group. The others wished for their best chemistry later on stage.

They congratulated and cheered each other. And finally Jihoon saw Sungwoon smiling.

Yes, he was smiling, at him.

Dongwan ended their practice that day, and Jihoon was trying to get back with Taehyung and Guanlin when Sungwoon blocked his path.

"Anna..." he started calling him with his role's name. "Can I talk with you for a moment?"

Ye?? What does he want from me?

 

*** to be continued ***