Truce

Hyung... Saranghae!

*** Chapter 8: Truce ***

 

Days had passed since the night when Jimin challenged Woojin to a fight, but traces of red-purplish bruises were still apparent on Jimin’s body, especially his arms and face. With Jihoon’s magical touch of cosmetics, they managed to hide the bruises on the pretty face. But the ones on his arms, they made no effort to hide them. Jimin even wore short sleeves, for class, and sleeveless shirt, for practices, on purpose, because he always thought that wounds were man’s Medal of Honor, although it indicated that he was completely hopeless against the bulky sparrow.

Jihoon was the one who forced his BB creams and powders onto Jimin’s face because it irritated him to see his brother looked miserable. Bruises on body were okay, but not the face. That’s his policy. And the younger was amazed that his brother’s skin was so sensitive and rather slow in healing.

“This is why I don’t like you fighting!” Jihoon nagged. “Martial arts for performances are okay. You may be built of all muscles, but see, your skin is not for fighting. And for heaven’s sake, you even fought Woojinie! You know how strong he is! He’s even stronger that Jungkook-hyung!”

“Hey… He’s not stronger than me…” Jungkook was the one who protested.

“He defeated you in arm wrestling,” Jihoon stated.

“But it was after I played against.. what.. three or four boys..?? My arm got tired,” Jungkook tilted his head.

“Then you wanna play again, hyung?” Woojin asked while rolling his sleeve.

Jungkook gladly accepted his invitation, "Yeah.. I need you to make some payment anyway for bruising my Queen like this.."

He rolled up his sleeve too, but Taehyung stopped them. “Alright, guys.. enough. We need to depart now or we will be late for the bus.”

“Are you done, Jihoonie?” Jimin asked, still pinned down on the chair by the younger.

“Yeah.. this will be enough..” Jihoon landed his final touch and zipped up his cosmetics bag.

“You know all of this will be faded later when I sweat my heart out in practices,” Jimin stood up.

“But at least you’ll look good this morning. I prefer to see this beautiful face rather than those bruises.”

“You think I’m beautiful?” Jimin beamed.

“Yes. I am beautiful, so it’s just appropriate for my older brother to be as beautiful as me,” Jihoon stated non-chalantly.

“Awww,,, Jihoon-a… you’re so cuteee…” Jimin couldn’t help but to squeeze both Jihoon's cheeks. He loved it very much when Jihoon cared about him like that. He would even spray BB cream he hated all over his body if he was asked to. But no, Jihoon would not waste his cream for that.

They walked out of the apartment with Taehyung ruffling Jihoon’s hair. He was glad that Jihoon had noticed that Jimin was in awful mood these days. Little affections like what he did this morning would surely make the basketball captain to be in a merrier self.

But by the time they reached their college, it was Taehyung’s turn to be gloomy. Heaven made it that they met Lai Guanlin in the front gate.

Taehyung warned himself that he was the one who let Jihoon stay friends with Guanlin, but he couldn’t help to scrunch his heart every time he saw the tall skinny boy launched his gummy smile to Jihoon.

HIS Jihoon.

Jihoon’s hand reached for his arm and pressed it lightly, not being too obvious to everyone with their usual skinship. But this little affection brought Taehyung to feel at ease, hence he could greet Guanlin in friendly manner.

Jihoon told him that he had told Guanlin that he had someone he like, although he could not say his name because he did not want any unnecessary intrusion from his brother if the word reached his ears.

At that moment, Jihoon could say that Guanlin was clearly disappointed although he did not express it with any words. He kept quiet for a moment. Of course, who would be happy if they were rejected? And after a while Guanlin asked him if that would mean the end of their friendship and if the cute boy wished him to get lost from his sight forever.

Seeing how Guanlin must have feel dejected that he used rather strong choices of words, Jihoon did not have the heart to tell him to get lost. It was not what he wanted anyway. Having an angelic heart he was, he would not kick someone out of his life unless that person did unforgivable thing to him. He did not mind having Guanlin around. He was a good kid.

With a simple ‘We can still be friends’, the tall boy beamed his brightest smile right away. Jihoon found him being so cute, and after all, he was just young and innocent. He thought maybe, just maybe, what Guanlin need was not a lover yet, but someone like a brother whom he could look up and rely to, especially in this foreign country. And if Jihoon could give him that, he would take the chance.

But Taehyung could not be happy about that. Now that Guanlin always followed Jihoon around in the college like a chick to his mother hen, the students started to spread the gossip that Jihoon had accepted Guanlin’s feeling, and they had become a couple.

“You should find a way to stop the rumor that you guys are dating,” thanks the hell it was Jimin who voiced Taehyung’s concern. “You sure, you’re not, right?” Jimin took a step closer to Guanlin. “Unless you are lying to me.”

He gazed at his brother too, who returned his look with a sigh, “Really, hyung?”

“Okayokay…” Jimin raised his hand. “I don’t want another fight with you.”

“Maybe we should find Jihoonie a boyfriend so the people will stop gossiping him with Lai Guanlin,” out of nowhere, Woojin spoke casually.

Jimin shot daggers at the sparrow.

“What? I am right, aren’t I?” Woojin was not intimidated at all. Jimin did not even left any bruises on him. “In any ways, there will be gossips surrounding your brother whenever he is close with someone. You know during high school he was rumored to be my boyfriend too. Even when I clearly stated that I like girls, no one believed it. He’s too lovable.”

“You should find yourself a girlfriend back then,” Jimin retorted.

“Yeah… but naahh… No one really drew my attention back then…” Woojin shook his head. “And no one dared to approach me because none of them are prettier than Jihoonie.”

“I bet that’s true,” Jungkook joined. “This Park sisters are way more beautiful than anyone,” he added a smirk.

Jimin was ready to strangle his number one fan to death if his beloved brother did not tug his arm, right on his bruise, that must had left him some pain still, reminding him that if he wanted to use power, it was no use to slam it against the muscle pig Jungkook.

“You better head to your class immediately, Kook,” Jimin growled.

“And you have to go with me. We’re having a join class today, remember?” he grinned.

“Bye, hyungdeul..” Woojin waved his hand to them. “My class will not start in another hour, so I’ll hang out with them. Enjoy your dating class.”

Jihoon chuckled at the bravery of his bestfriend.

“Jihoonie…” Jimin mewed, “Not you too…”

“Just go, hyung. Or you’ll be late…”

Then Jimin heavy-heartedly left the scene with Jungkook escorting him like a true knight escorted his Queen.

Jihoon was still standing beside Taehyung, but his attention was on Guanlin, “Sorry about that, Guanlin-a. Please forgive my brother.”

“No no.. It’s okay..” Guanlin quickly replied. “I would do the same if I was him. I wished I could act like that for my sister, but she was way older than me, so I never had the chance.”

“So you had a sister, hm?” Woojin was interested. “Tell me, is she pretty?”

With that question, the short sparrow hung his arm around the taller boy and unknowingly dragging him to walk with him, leaving the two lovebirds behind to have some space for them.

“I really love that sparrow,” Taehyung acclaimed, swaying his arm around his lover. They were following Woojin and Guanlin in a safe distance.

“You should be,” Jihoon agreed, circling his hand around Taehyung’s waist too. Again, this was normal for them, even with Jimin around. “He is my twin,” he added.

“You are not having any too-close interactions with Guanlin, aren’t you?” Taehyung suddenly asked.

Jihoon raised his eyebrows, “How close is your ‘too-close’?”

“I don’t know..” Taehyung shrugged. “Perhaps, skinship?”

“Nothing more than handshakes and high-fives..” Jihoon sighed.

Taehyung nodded slowly.

“I never know you are such a possessive boyfriend,” the cutie rolled his eyes.

“Then you should learn it by now,” the taller grinned. “I truly want you to see only me..”

“Why don’t you just lock me up in your dungeon then?” Sarcasm was a part of the cutie Wink fairy’s true nature.

“You know what.. That idea is very inviting... In alternate universe, I might have locked you up in my inner chambers...”

Jihoon widened his eyes.

“But nahh.. No… I’m not that crazy…”

His lover looked at him with the corner of his eyes, and he drew his famous V sign under his.

“I told you he is a gentleman. Kinda feel like how Jungkook-hyung acts toward Jimin-hyung, well except his flirts and teases. He is well-mannered, more like.. he’s brought up on a well-off family where the importance of attitude was emphasized since the beginning.”

“Oh yeah.. he is from a well-off family. I forget to tell you,” Taehyung admitted. “Seokjin-hyung told me yesterday. He was having a casual chat with his father, and when somehow he brought Guanlin up, his father said that the name Lai is kinda familiar. It turns out that Lai Guanlin’s father is his colleague. And you know what?” he looked at his beloved. “The Lai is the owner of the largest hospital chains in Taiwan. His father is literally one of the top 10 richest men in that country.”

“His.. WHAT?!” Jihoon was genuinely shocked and halted his step.

“Amazing, right…” Taehyung never saw Jihoon’s eyes rounded that big before. “Haishh… I really should have kept this from you. Now you must be interested in him because he is such a prince..” he sulked.

“No..” Jihoon quickly denied. “It’s not what you think, hyung… aishh.. you got jealous over nothing so easily!”

“Because my family is just a mere farmer. Surely we’re nothing to his. Even Seokjin-hyung’s and Jungkook’s are nothing compared to that billionaire.”

Jihoon sighed and rolled his eyes. “You think of me that low, huh, hyung?”

Taehyung replied with nothing but his bright upward lips.

Jihoon restrained his desire to punch his beloved one in his face. He crossed his arms in his chest instead.

“Okay.. sorry, Jihoon-a… I’m just teasing you,” Taehyung grabbed his shoulders. “But I do feel inferior about this..”

Jihoon untangled his arms and seized Taehyung’s hands with his. “Hyung… I don’t measure someone based on their riches. I treat someone based on what I see in them. What should I do to make you stop feeling insecure and believe in me?”

The cute boy sounded so desperate right then, but that’s what made Taehyung felt secure. His lover was serious.

“I’m sorry, Jihoon-a… I know..” He lightly pinched the fluffy cheek. “Thank you… I will never doubt you like this again..”

“Promise me..” Jihoon raised his little finger.

“I promise,” Taehyung replied it and stamped their thumbs.

Jihoon could not help himself but to pinch Taehyung’s cheeks out of vexation too. “Aigoo…”

Somehow, Taehyung smiled in victory.

 

*******

 

Jihoon and Guanlin were having a late lunch in the cafeteria, waiting for Woojin to join, because they planned to go to the gym afterwards. Guanlin would likely to tail them because he had nothing to do.

“Hyung.. can I ask you something?” Guanlin started.

“You already asked a question,” Jihoon replied with a fact.

Guanlin thought for a moment then realized what Jihoon meant. “Okay,” he chuckled. “Hyung, I need to ask you a question.”

“About?” the older munched his fried chicken.

“The person you like.. Is that Taehyung-sunbaenim?”

Jihoon was literally choked on his food.

Guanlin patted his back, “Easy hyung.. easy…”

“How… ugh..ugh.. yo..ugh…”

“Easy, hyung… don’t talk yet…” he grabbed a bottle of water. “Here…”

Jihoon snatched the bottle and poured the content into his mouth.

Guanlin gently patted his back repeatedly until he stopped coughing.

“Why did you say that?” Jihoon glared.

“Because it’s true, right?”

The cute boy could not blink his eyes.

“I’m not a fool, hyung,” Guanlin explained. “I have had my suspicions, but I just want to confirm it.”

“Did… did I… was that obvious?” Jihoon heartbeat was rising.

“Not really… But because I like you, I always know where your eyes are focusing…”

“Ye?”

“You always look at Taehyung-sunbaenim with dreamy eyes. Since that first time in the basketball court. I was happy that you kept looking at me, but then I realized, it wasn’t me your eyes were looking for. It wasn’t me you were clapping for. But my teammate…”

Now Jihoon were able to blink his eyes.

“And I have the feeling… that he likes you too…” Guanlin continued, “Or even more. You guys are dating already… In secret…”

Bull’s eye.

“Lai Guanlin, you are amazing!” another voice intruded their conversation, and Jihoon literally jumped off his seat before he realized that it was his bestie.

“Park Woojin, you jerk! How come you surprised me like that?!” Jihoon hit his chest.

“Then you should make Guanlinie lowered his voice. Why hit me?”

“Woojin-hyung knows about it too?” Guanlin made sure.

“Yeah, of course,” Woojin comfortably sat next to them in their round table. “Even without him telling me, I could read through him like an open book.”

“Unfortunately, that is true…” Jihoon hated to admit it.

“Woah… that’s amazing…” Guanlin was delighted. “I wish I have a friendship like yours…”

“You don’t have one? Back home?” Woojin asked.

“I have some close friends. But no one as amazing as you guys are. I bet they don’t really understand me,” the tall boy lowered his head suddenly.

“Hey, Guanlin-a…” Jihoon could feel the sudden sadness from the boy. “Is it true? That you came from a rich family?”

Guanlin looked up to him, but the facing down again, “Yes.. And that’s perhaps why… I couldn’t have a proper friendship.” He heaved a sigh.

“Everyone coming to you for your money..” Woojin shot a bull’s eye.

The gloomy boy nodded. “Even those who are.. as rich.. are closing in, because of business purpose..”

There was solemn moment before he continued.

“That’s why I learn to read people from everything I can see. What they do, how they act, where their focuses are, what’s their purpose, what mask they’re wearing, and what’s hidden behind that mask..” Guanlin explained. “I have been sharpening that skill, with my father’s encouragement, because he told me that those things are important for us to live our life.” He looked at Jihoon. “That’s how I know about.. you…”

How you only look at him…

“But don’t worry, I won’t tell any of this to Jimin-sunbaenim. I know you must be keeping it secret from him, and I also understand why…” he looked a little flustered. “But I want you to be more careful. He is your brother anyway. A brother should know better than me, don’t you think so?”

“Yeah, Guanlin-a… I know…” Jihoon agreed. “Thanks for the reminder.”

“You support them, Guanlin-a?” Woojin asked.

“Uh huh..”

“You okay with that?” the sparrow ensured.

“What can I say? Even if I’m heartbroken, I still prefer to see him happy…” he casted a gentle look to Jihoon.

“Do you really like me, Guanlin-a?” Jihoon braced himself to ask that question.

“Honestly, hyung… I really like you.. but at the same time, I was wondering myself if what I feel was true, although I was literally drown into you,” he mustered up courage to open up to these two boys who seemed trustworthy. “Before you, I always liked girls. I had crushes on some, but I never really braced myself to feel anything further, because…” he halted, “In the end… I might end up marrying someone… out of my will…”

“Arranged marriage?” Jihoon asked carefully.

“Yes,” Guanlin affirmed quickly. “You know… it’s pretty common…in our… environment…”

“Don’t tell me you have been arranged to one…” Woojin threw a wild guess.

“Between yes and no,” Guanlin closed his eyes. “My Mom… already had a list… of girls… who are worthy enough, in her judgment, to be her daughter-in-law. She even dragged me along to meet some, even when I was just a kid.”

Jihoon and Woojin gaped, and they could not control their mouth to form big Os.

“But my Dad… He’s awesome…” if up until then, the rich boy looked gloomy, his face was brightened upon the mention of his father. “I guess he understood it best, about the burden of being an heir. He always had his way to stop Mom’s idea. He even let me escape and go to Korea to pursue my true dream, doing what I really want. I liked basketball and I still like it, but I like music and modeling more. My Mom would never let me jump into entertainment business. She wants me to become either athlete or doctor, to continue family business.”

Guanlin stopped for a moment, while Jihoon and Woojin were whole-heartedly listening to him.

“But basketball was just my hobby. Doctor… I never wanted to be one. Especially when we already have my sister. She is a talented surgeon. Rather than me, she is the proper one to continue my Dad’s step. And Dad already agreed to it. And as the head the family, he forced my Mom to submit to his decision. I feel bad for my Mom, but I’m very thankful to my Dad.”

Guanlin saw the serious looks on his senior’s faces, and suddenly he felt embarrassed. “I’m sorry, hyungdeul… It’s just been weeks since you know me but I’m telling you all of this…”

“No, Guanlin-a… It’s okay…” Jihoon reached for his hand. “I’m glad that you have enough trust on us for these things…”

“Yeah… you can rely on us, Guanlin-a…” Woojin ensured. “You’re a nice boy, and fun to hang around with.”

“Really?” Guanlin showed his gummy smile.

“Yeah,” Woojin nodded. “Just one piece of advice… Don’t ever let Taehyungie-hyung finds you in that situation…” he’s pointing to where Jihoon was holding the rich boy's hand.

“Hey Woojin-a…” Jihoon cut. “That’s my problem to deal with,” he was still holding Guanlin’s hand.

“Have more respect, won’t you?” Woojin retorted. “Consider Taetae-hyung’s feelings.. and also Linlinie’s feelings. What are you now? Teasing him after stating that you already give your heart to someone else?”

“Aish.. jinja…” Jihoon threw his empty bottle to Woojin. But he released Guanlin’s hand.

“Easy, hyung…” Guanlin laughed his heart out. “I will still like you even if you think of me only as friend. I’ll try my best to convert my feelings for you into a mutual friendship. But if I fail, I guess I’ll just keep loving you and waiting if Taehyung-sunbaenim is going to dump you..”

Jihoon’s eyes widen in rage upon hearing those words, “Ya!! Skinny boy!! You wanna pick a fight with me?? I’ll break your bones and send you back to your Daddy or Noona but I don’t think they’ll be able to fix you!!”

“I thought you hate anything related to doctors and hospitals, Jihoon-a??” Woojin calmly remarked, earning him the full attention of the cute angry boy.

“I hate you more!” Jihoon roared and grasped his bestie’s collar. “Come on.. we better settle this thing on the boxing ring. “You too,” he pointed at the skinny boy. “Come with me and I’ll make you pay for those words…”

“I’ll just accept anything you want to do with me, hyung…” apparently, Guanlin was enjoying teasing Jihoon, because even though the Jeojang-kid was becoming sarcastic, he looked so damn cute.

“Aisshhh… jinja!! You start to sound like Jungkookie-hyung. Did you learn from him? Geezz…”

“Well, I guess I will take private lessons from him…” he laughed hard.

Jihoon would have strangled him to death if Woojin did not save him by dragging Jihoon out of the crime scene. “Hey, you better fight someone your league. Come on.. We already late for the gym,” he looked back and invite Guanlin, “Come, Linlin-a.. I’ll teach you how to defeat Jihoonie…”

And Guanlin still could not manage his laugh seeing his adorable hyungs.

Everything turned into the better since then.

After Jihoon ensured his brother that Guanlin and he were just friends, Taehyung help Jimin to put some consideration in asking the talented boy to join their basketball team. For Taehyung, it’s better for him if he could put the threatening boy under his own surveillance.

Jimin thought about that too. Although it might drew mixed reactions because most gossipers still thought that Guanlin was dating Jihoon, it was still better to observe the foreigner boy under his wings. On the bright side, he reasoned to the team that they need such a good player to be a part of them, despite their already having some talented new recruits as well.

The team of course, did not object a single bit about Guanlin joining the team. After all, they were just arts students with the same hobby. What could go wrong?

Yeah. Nothing could go wrong.

But happiness did not last forever.

There was a proverb about the calm before the storm. Park Jihoon and his brothers had not yet to face the greatest crisis in their youth.

When someone came and obstruct their peaceful days…

All hell broke loose…

 

*** to be continued ***