First Encounter

Hyung... Saranghae!

*** Chapter 5: First Encounter ***

 

“Let’s talk outside.”

Silently Taehyung rose from his seat and followed Jimin. His bestfriend were having serious look in his face.

Damn…What’s with that look? Why is he so stiff? Don’t tell me…

“Taehyung-a…” Jimin started, but then stopped. It was as if he was at loss of words and did not know what to say.

“Hmm?” Taehyung tried to answer properly, but instead he just made short hum.

Being a good actor he was, he’s trying to hide his nervousness. All his senses were in high alert to respond to anything Jimin would say or do if he was suspecting about his secret relationship with Jihoon.

“If you were me…” Jimin continued, but he grew hesitant again. Taehyung was waiting patiently, but he was dying inside.

“Will you betray…”

All of Taehyung nerves were tensed over the word.

“Will you betray your brother?” Jimin finally asked.

“What?” Taehyung was nervous, but also confused.

“You know… Once... I had promised Jihoonie that I would never again ask him to go to a doctor to cure that disease, his panic-attack. But…”

Taehyung showed no reaction outside, but deep inside he was melted with deep relief.

So this is what he wants to talk about… What a…

“But I guess…” Jimin resumed without noticing anything different from Taehyung. “It has not even been a month since the last time he got his attack. The frequency is increasing…”

Now Taehyung could objectively observe that Jimin was in deep confusion.

“I can’t keep letting him in pain like that. My heart aches every time I see him breaking down because of the attacks. But if I ask him to go see a doctor, he will be mad at me.” He roughly massaged his own temple. “What should I do, Taehyung-a?”

“Does he really have bad experiences with doctors?” Taehyung asked.

“Once we brought him to a doctor when he was twelve. But then we ended up spending the whole day in a hospital because we were sent to a psychiatrist. Jihoon was really annoyed with all the tests the psychiatrist did to him. From that moment onwards, he always threw a tantrum every time we brought up the topic about visiting a doctor, even if it was only for flu or fever. He came to hate anything related with doctor or hospital,” Jimin explained. “He doesn’t like to drink any medicine too. You know that.”

“Yeah sure..” Taehyung admitted. “Even when he was on high fever, he never agreed to drink any pills if we didn't force him.”

"Exactly!" Jimin threw himself onto the sofa. He looked desperate. "What should we do..."

Taehyung followed and sat next to him, tapping his shoulder lightly like what he usually did to console his bestfriend. He understood very well about Jimin's concern, but asking Jihoon to go see a doctor was the same with provoking a bull with red cloth.

"Can I ask you a favor, Tae?"

Taehyung turned to face Jimin.

"It's me who promised him to never ask him seeing a doctor. But you…"

"You want me to persuade him?" Taehyung cut to the point.

"Yeah," Jimin nodded. "He may not listen to me. But he might listen to you.."

"And why do you think he might listen to me while he doesn't even listen to his own brother?"

"Don't know. But in some cases he did listen to you," Jimin reasoned. "Perhaps I've been too hard on him that he thought that what I did was not asking, but forcing instead. While you, you always asked him in a sweet way that he would agree to anything you say. He even listened to Woojin although it took them some nerve wars and actual fights before they agreed on something.” He stopped for a moment, staring at the ceiling. “Am I.. Am I that bad? Am I being a good brother after all?" He suddenly spilt more words than he intended too, and his tone started to drift into despair that it made Taehyung sighed.

"There you go again...."

"Tell me the truth, Tae..." Jimin suddenly grabbed his arm and locked his eyes with him. "Do you think I have been a good brother for Jihoon?"

"Okay, you better stop there!" Taehyung cut. “Every time Jihoon got his attack, it was always.. also.. your turn.. to be depressed, questioning yourself about being a decent brother or anything similar to that.” He grabbed his friend’s shoulder to face him properly. “It’s not that I’m tired of it, but you need to get a hang of yourself!”

"Sorry, Tae.. I'm just..."

"Look.." Taehyung could see the evident desperation in his bestfriend's defeated look. "We both know that it's not easy to persuade Jihoon. But... Let's wait for a moment. He just got the attack today and talking to him about going to doctor tomorrow will not be a wise thing to do. But I promise I will help you."

"Really?" Jimin somehow felt a ray of hope.

"Yes," Taehyung ensured. "And you should never again blame yourself. You are a good brother. And everything you do is because you love him so much."

Jimin nodded, collecting some confidence within him. Taehyung was the best friend he ever had. He trusted him that he would never told him lies. And Taehyung was not the type to speak unnecessary flattery words either. He must be telling him the truth.

"But if you ask me, I DO think that you shouldn't be too hard on Jihoon. That boy doesn't really like being pampered. I'm sure you know that."

"Yeah.. But I can't help it.."

"You must ensure yourself," Taehyung didn't let Jimin interrupt yet, "That Jihoon is able to take care of himself. He is all grown up now that you can't keep treating him as a baby. I know that you love him so much, but loving also means trusting. You can't keep doing things for him. You get what I mean?"

"Y..yeah..." Jimin hurriedly nodded his head. "I get it, Taehyung-a. I know it all along.. I just... Because of all those things in the past... I can't... I just can't let it go...."

Taehyung clasped his hands tightly on the slightly shorter boy's shoulder. "Jihoon is a strong boy. He'll be okay on his own."

Jimin raised his head to find the serious but soft look on his bestfriend's face.

"You just have to believe him. Okay?" Taehyung continued.

"O..okay.."

"And about his condition, I promise I will help. But back to 'believe in him', let's wait for now. He must learn it himself that he cannot keep his stubbornness and childish act if it's getting worse. Of course, we are not hoping for anything worse, but I guess he already start to feel that these attacks are not doing him any good. Let's just wait and support him if the time comes."

Jimin took a moment of silence to process everything Taehyung said to him. He admitted it. He loves his baby brother so much that he turned blind. Jihoon was already an adult now. He must have given him more freedom.

The older Park boy was still deep in his thought when suddenly he heard a loud bang from the front door.

"Jihoonaaaa… I'm homeeee... Let's spar with meeee..."

The two older boys in the living room face-palmed themselves when they heard the noisy sparrow enter their apartment.

"That Woojin brat..." Jimin rolled up his sleeves. "I have texted him about Jihoon's condition. But he still..."

"Calm down, Jimin-a.." Taehyung giggled witnessing Woojin's boldness, although he didn't stop Jimin to silence that noisy sparrow. He promised Jihoon anyway that he would keep Woojin from disturbing him that night. But this time, he would let Jimin settled it for them.

He heard Jimin yelled as he left. "Ya! Park Woojin! Are you messing with me?!"

 

*******

 

The next morning, Jimin was on the way out as usual like any other morning, to have a little running exercise. He almost jumped out of his skin when he opened the door, and the face of certain someone was already there to greet him.

“Morning, Jimin-hyung..” the guest greeted calmly.

Jimin was stunned for a certain moment before he got his senses back. It wasn’t uncommon actually, to find Jungkook stood in front of his apartment.

He lived next door. He was his junior by a year, since high school until now. And they actually majoring in the same Dancing Department in the same Institute. And this Jeon Jungkook had already declared for so many times that he’s in love with the current captain of the SIA-Bangtan basketball team.

Yet Jimin never accept or return his feeling in any way.

Actually, once he had said ‘No’ when Jungkook asked him to be his boyfriend. But he (was) never (able to) push him away from his life.

One, because Jungkook was a superb boy with amazing athletic ability who exceled in any sports which include basketball, which would mean that he’s an important member for the basketball team.

Two, because Jimin hated to admit that Jeon Jungkook was NOT an annoying person to hang around with. All of their friends love this ‘Golden Maknae’.

Three, even Jihoon quickly befriended him and came close in an instant because they have the same hobby, gaming.

And four, because Jungkook never force himself any further since that one time when Jimin said ‘No’ to him. The fact that Jimin did not cut ties with him was already enough, as long as he could stay close to his beloved beautiful captain. And that’s why Jimin marked him ‘Not That Annoying’.

“You would truly be more helpful for me if you stop shocking me with your face every time I open this door every morning…” Jimin didn’t hide his agitation.

“Nice to see you too, hyung..” Jungkook replied, and then beamed his killer smile.

“How long have you been standing here? You’re better not creeping me out, being like a stalker like this.”

“Exactly 10 seconds ago. I know you always go out for some running around this time,” the younger boy answered casually. “And I actually would stop doing this if you just accept me to move in with you.”

“And have you greeted me right on my face every time I open my eyes and awake? No thanks! As I said, my home is full already with 4 grown boys living together.”

Unexpectedly, Jungkook’s smile grew wider upon hearing Jimin’s words. “That’s in fact a great idea! I could be the first person you see when you wake up. I will be very happy…”

Jimin really wanted to face-palm himself.

“And if you remember, actually I offered you to move into a bigger apartment so all of us could stay together…”

“And abusing the allowance money your rich parents give you? Absolutely no! Thanks.” Jimin clearly rejected his idea. “You can move out on your own to those spacious apartments you want. We are fine here. It’s perfect for us!”

“But I want to stay close to you…” Jungkook smirked. He did not resign. Of course, he’s not giving up on Jimin. But that’s the furthest things he would do, teasing his beloved senior with as much words he would need. Yet he never forced anything, not even skinships, unless it was for certain occasions like high-fives or mutual hugs between teammates.

“Jiminie-hyung…wait…” they heard Woojin calling from inside. “Let me go with you. I want to have some exercises too.”

The black-haired boy arrived at the entrance area wearing his favorite pink jumper, the exact same jumper with Jihoon’s, which earned them the nickname ‘Pink Sausages’ from their club-mates since they always wear it together most of the times. His pink jumper was Jihoon’s favorite too.

“Oh, Jungkook-hyung.. Mo’ning…”

“Mo’ning…”

“I didn’t know that you guys will have a morning date. I guess I’ll just run around myself.” Woojin casually remarked.

“Morning date my ..” Jimin retorted.

Jungkook chuckled. Everything Jimin did was amusing for him. Even when he was cursing.

“Woojin-a… How is Jihoonie?” Jungkook asked before the youngest boy could be devoured by the agitated hound. “I heard he got his attack last night.”

“Why do you ask him? Why not me?” Jimin somewhat sounded a bit irritated.

“Because Woojin is Jihoon’s roommate and I believe he knows better if Jihoon had a peaceful rest last night. Unless you forcefully switched place with him so you could stay beside your beloved brother the whole time,” the tallest boy at the moment nonchalantly replied to the oldest boy.

“He’s fine, hyung,” Woojin answered Jungkook’s question by ignoring Jimin. “He’s still asleep now. I guess he’ll wake up any moment soon when he’s hungry. He ate only half pan of pizza last night.”

Jungkook nodded knowingly. “So.. you wanna go for some exercise to, right? Come on…”

“You sure you want me to go together with you guys? Won’t I become a third-wheel?”

Jimin was ready to retaliate to his brother’s bestfriend if Jungkook didn’t cut him.

“No. In fact I might need a bodyguard if somebody suddenly decides to make me into his punching-bag.” Jungkook playfully winked to Jimin, but then he grabbed and hung his arm around Woojin’s shoulders. “Come hurry up… The sun is rising…”

Jimin face-palmed himself the umpteenth time that morning before stepping out of his door and lock it. He heaved a long sigh before started to run a little, chasing the people who were already running down the staircase.

 

*******

 

“Bangtan has come..!!”

“Captain Chimmy~~~!!!”

“Oh Gosh~~!! V is so handsome~~!!!”

“Kookie!!! Omooo... he’s so charming~~!!!”

“Where is J-Hope???”

“I can’t see RM!!”

“I can’t see Jin too?!! Is he not coming today?? Anyone know his schedule??”

“I miss Suga too~!! Or has he teleported to his class?? Where is the building for Post-graduate Music program?!”

Another day. Another morning. But the usual crowd always greet the most popular boys in the campus every time they arrived. The scene was pretty much similar to those that could be seen on television dramas. They were not even national celebrities. Only Seokjin was. But no one in Seoul Institute of Arts did not know their names. They even have a fan club. And have popular nicknames too.

“Is that Jihoonie?”

“The ‘Jeojang’ kid?”

“Geurae... That’s the one who performed his aegyo and winks at the Entrance Ceremony...”

“Omoo.. he’s so cute~~!!!!”

“And he is Jimin’s younger brother?!! Waa.. No wonder... They’re both so pretty~~”

“I’ve seen Jihoon from up close once... His eyes are so beautiful~~”

“Really..?? Ahh... I’m so envious~~!!!”

“How can it be that a boy is prettier than girl?? It’s not fair~~”

Nor girls, neither boys, all eyes were fixated on the group of boys who were crossing the institute’s main plaza leisurely. As much as the crowd adored them, nobody dared to cross their path. Some were genuine fans who respected their idol’s privacy, and some were intimidated by Jungkook and Jimin fierceness who were known to be excellent martial artists too. Yeah, they could be very scary when needed.

“I wonder how you guys survive this kind of crowd every day,” Woojin said nonchalantly.

“You just have to get used to it,” Jungkook answered. “You’ll have your own crowd anytime soon.”

“Not soon,” Jihoon added. “He already has some...”

“Isn’t that Park Woojin?”

“The dancing prodigy?”

“The one with the cute snaggletooth?”

“He’s not cute.. He’s manly.. I heard he does boxing too..”

And so it was proven that even Woojin started to have enough share of fans too.

“Jiminaaaaa...”

Suddenly they heard something like thunderstorm came approaching. Jimin had not yet turned his head when he was already struck by someone that kinda feel like a horse.

“H..seok...hyung...ugh....ugh... can’t.. breathe...” Jimin was tapping Hoseok’s arm which is currently choking his neck.

“Sorry...” Hoseok loosened his arm but still hung it over Jimin’s shoulder. “I’ve put all the pamphlets for the recruitment on all announcement boards. And I heard some feedbacks. I guess we can expect good candidates this time.”

“Good job, hyung. Thanks,” Jimin invited him for a high-five. “Everything will be ready for this Friday then..”

“Yeah... I can’t wait...” the Hope of the team couldn’t hide his excitement. “You’re heading for classes?”

“Yes, of course”

“Me too.. Come on...” Hoseok was about to walk away when he found Jihoon next to Jimin, “Oh wait..” he reached out his hands to lightly pinch Jihoon’s cheek. “Aigoo... you’re so cute today I can’t help myself but to squeeze these chubby cheeks..”

“Ah hyung!” It’s not Jihoon who was upset, but Jimin instead.

“Wae? I can’t touch Jihoonie?” Hoseok protested. “He is so adorable. You know I used to pinch your cheeks too when you looked like mochi. And now that your squishy cheeks are.. less adorable...”

“Okay, hyung, stop it! I get your point,” Jimin quickly interupted him before his skinship-lover-number-one hyung started to recite a poem about the adorable features both he and his brother had.

Hoseok drew his satisfied smile that had become his trademark and then sent a wink towards Jihoon who were gently massaging his cheeks that had become Hoseok’s affection victim.

The youngest boy was kind of used to it already, since all of his brother’s friends always found him too adorable to be true, and their hands always landed on his adorable body parts, mostly of course, the cheeks. He secretly glanced at Taehyung to see his reaction, but Taehyung, understanding Hoseok’s true nature, returned his worried face with relaxed smile. Then the taller casually flung his arms around his secret lover's shoulder.

“So I guess this is where we part ways? We will head to our classes too,” Taehyung stated.

“Yeah.. See you later, bro..” Woojin waved to them.

They parted ways naturally. Then Jihoon and Taehyung walked side by side, with Taehyung’s arm was still on the younger’s shoulder.

Jihoon did not say anything because this kind of skinship was common between him and his friends. Especially when it was Taehyung, he would never shake it away. He’d rather enjoy all interactions he could have with his lover wherever they could.

They arrived at Acting Department ground, but then they have to part ways too, because Taehyung’s class was on the 3rd floor, while Jihoon’s was on the other side of the building.

“See you later, Jihoon-a..”

“Bye, hyung...”

Jihoon waited until Taehyung entered the front door before he turned his body to go to the other direction. He reached for his bag to find the book he would need for the class, but his concentration were too focused on his bag until he didn’t realize that he was crossing path with an unknown stranger.

Brukk...

His book was dropped to the ground, and so was the bag of that unknown stranger.

“Oops.. Sorry..” Jihoon quickly apologized as he realized that he hadn’t been paying attention to his steps. He bowed to grab the other guy’s bag, while that other guy grabbed his book.

“Sorry, I didn’t see where I was going so that I bumped into you..” Jihoon apologized one more time.

“Nono.. It’s okay.. I wasn’t paying attention either..” the stranger replied.

Jihoon found the guy’s accent was pretty funny. He looked up to see the guy, cross it, the boy, was much taller than him. But much thinner too. His face looked common, oriental-style. But surely, from the way he spoke just now, he’s not a Korean.

“Where are you from?” Jihoon unconsiously spoke what was on his mind.

“Ah.. I’m from Taiwan.. Did you find my accent funny?” that boy asked what was on his mind too.

There Jihoon just noticed that he might sound rude just now. “Well.. no.. it’s just... definitely not a local...”

“Hahaha...” the boy laughed, and it sounded so fresh. “Of course.. I’ve been learning Korean for 3 months only. And I arrived here just last month.”

“Oh really? But your vocabs and grammar are good!” Jihoon was genuinely surprised.

“O yeah? Thanks then.. But I still need to learn a lot,” the boy replied humbly.

“Well, good luck with that,” Jihoon wished sincerely, while giving him his bag back. The boy returned him his book.

“Park Jihoon?” the boy read the scribbles on the corner of Jihoon’s book.

“Yep...”

“I’m Lai Guanlin,” he offered his hand for a handshake which Jihoon politely welcomed. “Nice to meet you.”

“Nice to meet you too,” Jihoon replied. “Are you studying acting too?”

“No... I’m studying Applied Music.”

“Wow.. Your building is on the other side of this campus ground..”

“Yeah.. I’m kinda lost a bit. I’m still not used to this environment,” he admited.

Jihoon took a peek on his watch and he found that he still had some time before the class begin. “Let me show you the way...”

“Oh no.. No need..” Guanlin quickly refused. “I’m sure I can find it myself. I don’t want to hold you..”

Jihoon chuckled a little because he found Guanlin’s choice of word was cute. “Alright then.. So... I guess... Bye?”

Guanlin nodded. “Bye....”

Jihoon walked by passing Guanlin, not turning his back. While Guanlin, unconsciously, could not take his eyes off of Jihoon.

What the...

He is a boy, right? How can he...

So cute...

Gorgeous...

And he is a nice person...

He gripped his chest where his heart was loudly beating.

Damn...

I can't hold any second longer to be with him... My heart can't take it.. It will burst...

His eyes were still on Jihoon although the boy was already meters away from him.

Park Jihoon... You steal my heart away...

 

*** to be continued ***