LIGHT SWITCH

My Psychology Professor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For the next few weeks So-Hyun was adjusting to the University life and was enjoying her lectures. It took some time to get used to the awkwardness she’d feel when she was in Professor Seung-Ho’s class, but his usual cold ‘professional’-self helped the process. She had gotten closer to Jin-Goo and they had lunch together whenever their schedules matched. It took time getting to used to his desire to be close again, but she didn’t mind it too much. Her walls were still standing strong and she was communicating well without being uncomfortable.

She was struggling with some of the material in Professor’s class and ideally needed to go to the workshop, as none of the module books were helping. She was contemplating not going because she didn’t want It to be the two of them again. Deciding that she can’t fail University simply because she’s scared of awkwardness, she made the choice to go.

She was relieved to see there were a few other students there today, at least she wasn’t struggling alone. Once the workshop was over, she was happy because she now understood the material and was on the way to meet Jin-Goo at the library when Professor Seung-Ho called her behind.

“Seonsaengnim, is there a problem?” She asked.

“Yes, there is.” He said whilst shuffling through files on the desk, which peaked So-Hyun's interests. “You saw your grades for the week 5 assessments I’m sure.” He continued when he saw her nod in agreement “Care to explain?” He inquired turning back to his papers.

“I can explain, but Seonsaengnim… didn’t you say it was impolite to not make eye contact with the person you’re talking to?” So-Hyun stopped surprising herself, why was she bringing up the past? She definitely did not want to do that. “I’m sorry.” she quickly apologised and continued “I don’t know why my grades for the Forensics module are like that, I did try hard on the assignment and online tests...” She was lying. She didn’t really enjoy Forensics and revising for it was even harder, so she did as much as her brain would allow her. In that sense you could say she did try her best. “I’ll try harder next time” She affirmed.

Professor Seung-Ho continued organising his files into his briefcase and once he was done his eyes quickly shifted to So-Hyun’s, his signature smirk appearing when he saw her shift under his gaze. “Make sure you’re trying harder than your hardest. It looks bad on me if you fail. Understood?” She nodded quickly in response.

“Now that I made eye contact with you, are you satisfied So-Hyun haksaeng?” He whispered.

She looked away in embarrassment and nodded slightly.

“That’s all. You’re dismissed.” His smirk now gone, he brushed past her. The scent that she had almost forgotten filled her senses once again.

Jerk.

^^^^

That same night, Jin-Goo had managed to persuade her into going out for drinks. She wasn’t much of a drinker, she didn’t like the taste of it, but he offered her at least three weeks off not going out together and she thought it was worth it. She didn’t drink much but she enjoyed the music at the University bar they went to.

“So-Hyun-ah” Jin-Goo started “If you didn’t like drinking you could have said” He said laughing at her flushed face “Let’s go” He offered. She wasn’t drunk, but she wasn’t 100% sober. They’d been there for a total of one hour and it was time to call it quits.

She nodded, and they set off in a taxi, Jin-Goo making sure the taxi driver dropped her off first. When they reached her neighbourhood, he made sure to give her a hug before she got out. She was a little flustered, she still hasn’t gotten used to his friendliness. She slowly pulled away from him and giving him a warm smile before she got off. She knew they were friends and a small part of her liked that, but what she didn’t want was to cross the lines. She knew he’d never like her as a woman and she was happy with that, because she wouldn’t ever like him as a man. She’d convinced herself of that.

She stopped by the market near her house to get some ramen, she’d been craving it all night. After her purchase she made her way to her house, when she stopped by Professor Seung-Ho’s house. The lights were out, and it was as if the house was crying out ‘I’m lonely!’ so she just stood there in front of his gates laughing at the thought of a house speaking. She only had one beer, but she was feeling light and she began to sway with the breeze. Her mind then wondered to the night he was moving in.

Suddenly one of the lights on the right and So-Hyun squinted to make sure she was seeing correctly. Before anything could register in her mind the shadow of a shirtless man appeared. So-Hyun stared at the figure with defined

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter