Chapter 24

Rose Golden (Vkook)

Jungkook left right after graduation. Taehyung wasn’t going to go the airport to see him off but Yuna forced him to, saying that she’d come with him for support. But just standing there with Jimin and Jin having to see him go without knowing when he’d ever come back killed him.

He watched quietly as Jin ruffled his hair and gave him a tight hug. Then Jimin joined, looking as if he was about to cry. Taehyung couldn’t help but feel guilty because he knew they were splitting apart because of him.

Jungkook looked over at them then and his heart stopped. His parents were watching closely by the boarding area which made him nervous. Taehyung held his breath as he came closer, knowing that there were a lot of people around watching who knew them well.

But he immediately didn’t care once Jungkook pulled him into his arms. Taehyung held on tightly when he gave him a light kiss on the lips. He could feel everyone’s eyes on them, most were disapproving stares and judgemental looks, but he ignored them because only Jungkook mattered in that moment.

Jungkook brushed some hair out of his eye. “I’ll come back for you OK?”

Taehyung nodded, feeling at a loss for words.

He looked over at Yuna who had her eyes on them too, giving a small smile.

“Thank you,” He smiled at her.

“Don’t thank me, just come back as soon as possible.” She said softly.

He nodded and stepped away from Taehyung. His eyes followed him as he walked back towards his parents who were giving him a hard glare. When they turned away, Taehyung wanted to run after him but his feet wouldn’t move. There was no point.

“Don’t worry OK?” Yuna took his hand which made him feel even more emotional, but he held it all back and walked with her. “He’ll come back.”

 

He’ll come back.

“I’ll come back for you OK?”

But he didn’t.

Four long, excruciating years had passed from that moment.

Yuna was in college and Taehyung had managed to get a well paying job as a successful children’s book author and illustrator. They’d moved out of their small apartment and into a decent sized home more in the country. Everything and everyone had moved forward while a few promises and memories were left behind. But not for worse, for the better.

It was going on five years since Jungkook had left him, and he was still holding onto the last light of hope in his heart that maybe they’d get to meet again. Even though so much had changed, he never gave his heart to anyone else. Not that he didn’t feel capable, but because he simply didn’t want to. Even if he didn’t see Jungkook again or if they didn’t meet on the same terms, he wouldn’t face him like that.

But he and Jungkook weren’t the same. From the start he knew that their situations were different. So while he never gave his heart to anyone else, Jungkook had gotten married to a beautiful young actress. Taehyung knew it was his parents doing, but finding out the news was heart crushing.

Just like he said; there was no coming back from this.

Some days were easy but others were so hard. Except what could he do? He just had to accept the reality. But like he told him, there was always a tomorrow and another day after that. Anything could happen, anything-

“Hey.”

Yuna’s voice snapped him out of his thoughts and he squinted over at her.

She stalked towards him and crossed her arms. “You’ve been locked up in your studio all day, you need to come out and get some air. You can’t be hunched over your work in the dark like this so often or you’ll turn into a hermit. How many times do I have to tell you to get sleep and take care of yourself?”

“Sorry,” Taehyung yawned and stretched, putting down his pencil. He was working on a new story, one about a heart that could shapeshift into different forms. But it was still in the beginning stages and he could barely focus on making the rest. His mind was completely somewhere else.

“I’m going out with Jin today, but if you want, I can stay home and we can do something together.” She said then.

Taehyung smiled. He really never expected for her and Jin to end up together, but they’d been going strong for about a year. Turned out when Jungkook had asked him to drive her home that day they went to the gallery, they’d connected but didn’t pursue anything since she was still in a relationship. He was glad that she was happy again though, especially since she’d given up her first relationship for him.

“It’s OK, I want you to go out.” He said softly.

“Well I want you to go out too. Why don’t you meet up with Hobi and Yoongi, you all haven’t hung together in a while.”

“That’s because we’re so busy. But you’re right, maybe I should give them a call.” He sighed.

Her eyes searched him. “I know things have been hard ever since you found out, but you can’t let it beat you down OK? Jungkook, he wouldn’t want this. He’d want you to be happy and take care of yourself.”

“I’m trying,” Taehyung replied, looking down at his hands.

She nodded. “OK, I trust you.”

He watched her carefully as she left. When she was gone, he put his head back down on his desk.

He really was trying his best.

When she left later on, Taehyung finally forced himself out of his studio and stood alone in the hallway of the house. It was dark and still, but he wasn’t afraid. He walked out and climbed into his car, driving towards where his parents were buried.

He glanced up at the sky as he drove, the sun was almost gone and the sky was starting to get dark. There were small specks of stars that sprayed across the navy blue, reminded him of how beautiful the sky was in Jungkook’s backyard that night.

Taehyung bought two bouquets of flowers before arriving at the cemetery. The air was cool when he parked and left his car, trudging through the green grass towards their stones. The moon was out and its luminous white light was shining down over everything making it sparkle.

“Hey mom, hey dad.” He whispered and put the flowers down in front of them. He sat down slowly, running his fingers through the soft grass. Everything was so still and quiet, just sitting there made him feel hollow. He didn’t do this much. Coming face to face with his parents was too painful. But every once in a while he’d go back to them, he had to. He felt lost.

Taehyung hung his head and started crying. He didn’t even know where all of the tears were coming from, and he hated himself for being sad. But he couldn’t help it. He sniffed and rubbed his eyes.

How much longer could he wait?

Yuna told him that Jungkook would want him to be happy, to take care of himself. But him waiting around for the day that he’d get to see him again, all while knowing deep down inside that it would never happen was becoming torturous.

He didn’t want to give his heart to anyone else, but he couldn’t do it anymore. Everyone had moved forward while he was still stuck in the past. He wanted to move forward too-

But how?

“What should I do,” He whispered aimlessly. Was he really expecting an answer?

Taehyung jumped when he felt water drop on his skin. He glanced up at the sky as it started to rain lightly. He closed his eyes and the memories flowed back to him like an ocean. The rain, their bare bodies pressed against each other, his internal promise that he’d never let him go.

He opened his eyes again.

Don’t let him go.

Taehyung stood up slowly and walked back towards his car.

“Don’t let him go.” He whispered as he drove.

The rain fell heavier as he got closer to home. He covered his head with his hands as he ushered towards the door, but stopped abruptly when he saw the bouquet of rose golden flowers on the porch. Taehyung bent down slowly and picked them up, his hands shaking.

“J-Jungkook,” He stuttered.

He unlocked the door and closed it tightly, sliding down against the frame. There was a note attached and he took it out slowly.

“I hope these got to you safely. I miss you again and miss you more. I love you, I’m coming back for you.”

Taehyung clutched the roses tightly against his chest and started crying again.

Don’t let him go.

 

**

Two years later:

 

Jungkook sat on the dock of the beach, a warm breeze coming off of the salty water and filling his lungs. He could hear the waves of the sea crashing against the shore and rocks as he watched his daughter play happily in the sand, building up sand castles with her small hands.

He stood up slowly and walked towards her, sitting down closely.

“Do you like my castle daddy?” She asked happily.

“Yes, it’s really nice.” He smiled.

Jiyeon grabbed some more sand and started making figures from it. “I’m going to make my castle have a king and queen and they’ll rule over the water kingdom.”

Jungkook laughed and brushed some hair out of her eye, tucking a strand behind her ear.

Their dog Misu came running from the water then and plowed into her castle to get to Jungkook. He attacked him with on his face but Jiyeon started crying.

“Hey, hey, it’s OK, don’t worry I’ll fix it for you.” He sat up quickly and tried to patch it back together for her. Misu excitedly ran forward and her face too, making her smile wide. Jungkook sighed in relief.

“Is everything OK?”

He glanced back.

“Daddy!” Jiyeon got up and raced towards Taehyung, wrapping her arms around his legs.

“Whoa, whoa careful I have ice cream.” He laughed.

Jungkook stared at him admiringly. He thought he looked especially beautiful today.

Jiyeon thanked him cutely when he handed her a vanilla ice cream cone and he sat down beside Jungkook.

“I got you one too,” He gave him a cone and Jungkook took it slowly. Taehyung blushed when he kissed him lightly on the cheek.

“Thank you,”

“Ewww,” Jiyeon groaned and they started to snicker.

Taehyung was about to eat his cone but Misu jumped up and snatched it away from him, downing it quickly.

“Misu!”

Jungkook snorted and almost choked on his.

“Here daddy you can have mine.”

“It’s OK, don’t worry. Have your ice cream.” He sighed, smiling softly.

It fell quiet and Taehyung rested his head comfortably on Jungkook’s shoulder, looking out over the sparkling crystal blue water.

Jungkook looked down at him, his heart warm.

Being there felt almost like a dream, but he couldn’t wake up because it was actually happening. It was truly their reality.

They were finally together after all this time.

This was their most beautiful moment in life.

**

When it got too dark, they all went back home together and helped Jiyeon into bed. Jungkook watched closely as Taehyung tucked her in, he would never trade the sparkling look of infatuation in his eyes for anything. They'd adopted her about a year ago after he came back from Korea, and now he couldn't even imagine his life for a second without his beautiful Jiyeon.

He took his hand when he was done and they went to sit out on the back porch to look up at the stars, listening to the trickle of the fountain that always put them to sleep.

“We still gotta find something nice to wear for Yuna’s wedding,” He said softly, lying down onto Jungkook’s lap.

“I still can’t believe she’s marrying Jin,” He laughed. “Funny how life is unexpected.”

“You’re right, I never thought I’d be back in this moment again.”

“Me either.”

Taehyung smirked and looked up at him. “Speaking of unexpected, Jimin, he really told you he has feelings for Yoongi?”

“Ha, yeah, we were talking the other day and he kinda let it slip. I guess he felt more comfortable telling me, it makes sense.” Jungkook replied. “But I mean, they’ve been friends for a long time so I’m not too surprised. I just really hope he gathers up the courage to tell him one day, I want him to be happy. Even if nothing happens, he should atleast get it off of his chest.”

“Yeah,” Taehyung whispered.

“It’s still not easy for us. But if we could manage to find our way through it, I know he can too.” Jungkook spoke, fiddling with the collar of his shirt.

He watched him for awhile and Jungkook glanced down. “What?”

“Your parents, have they-”

“No.” Jungkook sighed. “They still haven’t contacted me, I honestly don’t think they ever will. I mean, they were livid when I left America and my marriage behind, but they knew what I wanted from the start so there was no way they could be surprised about it. And I’m an adult now, they don’t control my decisions. This is what I want, so I’m going to keep it. I thought I could play along with what they wanted for the sake of things, but it was too hard. If I only make them happy all the time and I’m not happy myself; then what’s the point? I-I have to keep thinking for myself.”

Taehyung put his hand on his cheek. “You sacrificed a lot for me, thank you.”

“You’re the first person I ever wanted to make a sacrifice for.” He whispered.

“I love you.”

Jungkook leaned down and they kissed deeply.

When they pulled away he extended his hand and they did their handshake slowly, pressing their fingers together at the end.

“I love you too.”

Their rings glinted softly in the moonlight.

**

Taehyung led Yuna down the aisle slowly. He never thought the day would come so quickly that he’d be handing his sister off to another man. But there he was. Taehyung glanced at her, she looked beautiful in her white dress and the veil draped down over her eyes. Her hair was done really prettily too.

Jin stood at the altar looking mesmerized by her beauty. They walked carefully up the steps and Taehyung stopped her in front of him. He smiled and walked back down towards his seat beside Jungkook who squeezed his hand tightly.

Hoseok and Namjoon were tearing up, while Jimin and Yoongi looked as if they were straining to hold back their own tears. But Taehyung didn’t feel emotional, he just felt blessed to be watching such a beautiful moment.

“Yuna Kim, do you take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband?” The pastor asked Yuna after their speeches.

She nodded. “I do.”

“Seokjin Kim, do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?”

He grinned. “I do.”

“I just realized Yuna’s legal name is probably going to be Yuna Kim-Kim.” Jungkook whispered then and Taehyung stifled his laughter, elbowing him in the side.

“You may now kiss the bride.”

His heart lifted when they kissed happily and everyone begun clapping and whistling loudly.

“Hnng, this isn’t fair, why am I single I want a wife,” Hoseok sobbed.

“I feel you man. At least you still have a chance, I’m ten years older than you and I still haven’t even been in a serious relationship.” Namjoon sighed, wiping his tears.

Yoongi shrugged. “Neither have I,”

Jimin glanced at him and blushed.

“He could not be anymore obvious could he?” Taehyung laughed to Jungkook.

Yuna and Jin came back down the aisle then and pretty white flower petals showered over them.

Taehyung could feel tears pricking his eyes as he watched them. He’d always wanted to have a marriage reception with Jungkook, maybe one day they’d be able to have one too. But it wasn’t about him now, he was so, so happy for Yuna. He’d treasure this moment forever.

The reception went on into the night and led into an afterparty. There was a dance floor that the guests were allowed to go on and Jin was dancing embarrassingly in the middle with Yuna who couldn’t stop laughing at him.

Jimin doubled over laughing too and leaned his forehead against Yoongi’s chest who looked flustered. He quickly backed up. “S-Sorry, force of habit.”

“No, it’s OK, don’t worry.” Yoongi smiled shyly.

“Ughh, can they get a room already?” Hoseok murmured, sipping on his drink.

“Hey, do you wanna go dance too?” Namjoon asked him.

He shook his head. “Ah, no thanks I’m good.”

“Are you kidding me, you’re like the dancing king. Are you really refusing his offer?” Taehyung pushed.

“What? No, I just,” He stared at him. “Ugh fine, fine I’ll dance!”

They both watched as they went out and started dancing. A few guests noticed how good Hoseok was and started cheering him on. He grinned excitedly as he showed off his moves and Namjoon looked like he was enjoying himself too, but Yoongi was just face palming in embarrassment.

“He’s been miserable the whole day, I knew dancing would make him happier.” Taehyung smiled.

Jungkook chuckled. “Welp, it’s definitely working.”

They watched flatly as Jin joined them and everything just turned into a mess.

“OK, maybe this wasn’t such a good idea.” He chuckled, looking away in embarrassment.

Thankfully the song changed to a slower tune and Jungkook looked at him. “Do you want to dance?”

Taehyung nodded. He took his hand and they walked passed Jimin and Yoongi who were standing awkwardly together, not knowing what to do. Jungkook gave Jimin a light push forward.

He scratched the back of his neck. “U-Um, do you want to dance?”

Yoongi nodded slowly. “Sure,”

He wasn’t showing it too much, but by the soft look in his eyes when Jimin held his hand; Taehyung knew he was happy. Yuna and Jin started dancing, and two girls asked Hoseok and Namjoon if they wanted to dance too. Taehyung smiled. He was glad, even if it was only for a little bit; everyone was happy.

The one emotion he’d been chasing for so long.

It was right in front of him.

Jungkook held on and they swayed slowly to the music.

IU’s “Through the Night” played softly through the speakers and flowed around the room.

I remember our first kiss
I close my eyes whenever I can
and go to the farthest place

They kissed each other softly.

“Let’s do this too someday,” Jungkook whispered then. “It doesn’t have to be here, but I want to have a huge, beautiful wedding ceremony with you.”

“I want that too.” Taehyung smiled brightly.

“You’ll marry me?”

“Well yeah, we’re engaged already aren’t we?”

Jungkook blushed and nodded, smiling uncontrollably. “R-Right,”

Taehyung leaned his head against his chest and closed his eyes. He listened closely to his heartbeat, the music softly mixing in. Their final confession of love.

All the words
In my heart
I can’t show them all to you
But, it’s that I love you