Chapter 14

Rose Golden (Vkook)

Jungkook drove Taehyung back down to the beach later the next day so he could retrieve his car. He helped him out carefully when they arrived in the lot, since he was still unstable and wary from everything. Taehyung glanced up at the sky when he was steady enough. The sun was starting to set slowly and there was a beautiful rose golden sunset that spread above the water and expanded into the horizon. A few people walked along the sand, enjoying the view.

“Are you OK to drive? I could call a tow truck and they can bring your car back to my place.” Jungkook asked him then.

Taehyung shook his head, distracted by the sunset. “No, I’m fine. Don’t worry.”

He followed his gaze and watched it quietly too.

“I really wish I brought my camera, this place is so nice.” Taehyung turned his phone on, hoping to take a decent picture.

Jungkook glanced at him, then leaned back into the car and pulled out a case from the backseat. He opened it carefully and took out a large black camera that looked extremely expensive. Taehyung was surprised when he handed it over to him. “You can take some pictures on here, I can develop them for you later if you want.”

He stared at it for a long time then took it slowly. “OK, thank you.”

They walked down towards the shore. Taehyung was a bit nervous to be back there so quickly but he really wanted to capture the sunset, preserve the memory for later. Jungkook hung back and watched him closely.

There was a cool wind coming off of the water that made him kind of cold, considering he was still in only a shirt and swim trunks. He shivered and lowered the camera, looking down at the pictures he’d took. The quality was amazing and clear, so much better than his own.

Jungkook came up from behind him then and rested his chin on his shoulder, looking down at the camera too. “Whoa, those are really nice.”

Taehyung blushed and elbowed him away. “What are you doing?”

“Just warming you up,” He laughed and tickled him playfully but Taehyung didn’t smile. “Are you OK?”

He handed the camera back to him. “I’m fine. Thanks for letting me use it.”

Jungkook watched him blankly as he started to walk back towards the cars, but before he could get far, he grabbed his arm.

“Can you let go?” Taehyung hissed.

“I don’t get what your problem is, why are you acting like you hate me now?”

“I don’t hate you.” He muttered. There were so many things he wanted to say, but it wasn’t even worth wasting his breath. It wasn’t like Jungkook would understand anyway. “Can you get your head out of you for like five minutes? Not everything is always about you.”

Jungkook’s jaw tensed.

“And it’s not like you’re any better, you do the same thing to me sometimes.”

“Yeah? Well it’s a big piss off, so maybe I should stop doing it. One minute we’re friends and then the next minute we’re like enemies or something, it’s bull.” He snapped.

Taehyung clenched his teeth. “Why does it even matter-”

Jungkook’s phone rang suddenly then and he let go of him, pulling it out of his pocket. “What is it?”

Taehyung crossed his arms.

“. I’ll be there in a second.” Jungkook hung it up and then walked ahead of him. “That was Jin. We need to go, now.”

He wanted to know what was going on, but decided just to follow his lead and not ask any questions. But something changed so quickly in Jungkook, he seemed more angry than before but also scared. What would make him act like that?

Taehyung pushed the thought back and climbed into his car. He started the engine, following him back to the cottage along the dark road. When they arrived, Jungkook came towards his car and helped him out again, even after everything. But as soon as they went inside, Taehyung could immediately hear a loud voice coming from the living room.

“Ey, my brother!” He heard someone call loudly when they walked in. Taehyung noticed a man who looked just a few years older than him, sitting down on the couch. He was almost an identical copy to Jungkook except his hair was brown, more long and messy, and he didn’t look as cleaned up. There was something off in his eyes too and the way he spoke, Taehyung could tell he was drunk. Not to mention the large pack of beer he had sitting by his leg that was almost cleared out.

He noticed Yuna then, she was sitting uncomfortably beside him and his arm was wrapped tightly around her. Taehyung moved passed Jungkook to get to her, but he took his arm again. There was a hard look in his eyes. “I’ll just deal with it, don’t worry.”

Taehyung eased away a little, not really sure what was going to happen. Everyone in the room looked awkward and nervous because of the man’s presence. Hoseok stood up slowly then and went over to him. “Hey, are you feeling better? You just left the hospital, you need to rest.” He helped Taehyung towards a chair.

“Jungkookie,” The man slurred, giving him a droopy smile. “You didn’t tell me you had a girlfriend.”

He clenched his teeth. “What the hell are you doing here Haneul?”

Haneul stood up, still holding on tightly to Yuna. “I just wanted to see my baby brother after so long. You’ve been ignoring all of my calls so I figured you wanted to talk face to face.”

Jungkook glared at him. “Now really isn’t a good time-”

“Well, when will it be a good time then?” Haneul interrupted, sounding tense. “You keep avoiding me and I’m tired of it.”

“You’re the one who just keeps leaving and coming back, that’s not my problem-”

Haneul grabbed his shirt suddenly. “Who the hell do you think you’re talking to huh? Are you trying to act tough in front of your ing friends or something?”

Jungkook slapped his hand away, looking infuriated. “Just get out of here.”

He laughed. “Introduce me to your girlfriend first and maybe I’ll contemplate leaving. I didn’t know you were interested in kids.”

“I’m not-”

“Do mom and dad know about her? I think they’ll be interested in meeting her since you’ve been dating for so long. Jae-eun told me four months, that’s an awfully long time for someone like you.” Haneul smiled. “Are you serious about her? Do you want to marry her Jungkook?”

He just glared at him.

“Speaking of mom and dad.” Haneul his lips, suddenly looking serious. “They still won’t talk to me, so I need you to help me again.”

“Is that why you came here? Just so that you could use me to get you more money?” Jungkook pressed angrily. “I’m done being your personal slave for them, if they don’t want to give you anything, I’m not going to get involved anymore. It’s not like you even deserve it anyways, you-”

Haneul slapped him hard and Yuna gasped.

Taehyung stood up.

“You know, I’m really not liking your attitude right now Jungkookie.” His voice was eerily calm.

Jungkook looked down at the ground, his cheek slowly turning red.

Jimin was about to move towards him, but Taehyung stalked forward and grabbed Yuna’s hand, pulling her quickly away. Then he stood in between them, facing Haneul head on.

“Get away from him.” He spoke firmly. It wasn’t even his business, but he knew what was happening was wrong. And Jungkook had defended him before, it was his turn now.

Haneul smirked, it was so similar to Jungkook’s that it almost caught him off guard. He seemed to have so many different personas. “And who the hell are you?”

“His friend. And I’m not going to let you hurt him in front of everyone like this.” Taehyung replied, trying to keep his voice from shaking. “He asked you to leave, so you need to go.”

He laughed loudly. “Do you even know what the hell is going on here?”

“No, but I don’t care-”

Haneul grabbed his arm suddenly and twisted it hard, making Taehyung wince in pain. “You should pick your fights wisely kid or you might lose them.”

Jungkook snapped and charged forward, shoving Haneul back. He tripped over his feet and knocked into the chairs by the table, tumbling onto the floor. Jungkook climbed over him and grabbed his shirt. He raised his fist, ready to strike him but Jimin quickly intervened.

“Guys stop!” He shouted. “God, I know you hate each other. But can you settle this like civil people!”

“ing touch him again and I swear I’ll kill you.” Jungkook spit, releasing his grip and shoving him back down.

Haneul smiled, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. He sat up slowly.

“You guys need to go outside and talk about this. Don’t do this here.” Jimin said seriously.

“No, I’m done talking to him. Get the hell out of here before I call the police!”

Haneul stood then and bent down, meeting his eye level like he was a little kid. “Who the do you think you are?”

He just stared back at him.

“You think I give a crap about what you say or do to me? I’m not leaving until we talk properly. So it’s either you go outside with me right now or I’ll kick your so badly you won’t be able to walk tomorrow alright?” He spoke slowly. “You may think you’re some tough piece of , but I know what a scared, weak little brat you truly are. Whatever front you’re putting up right now is bull and it’s pissing me off. So don’t make me angrier; because you already know how I am when I’m really, really angry yeah?”

Fear glazed into Jungkook’s eyes then and he looked away.

“That’s what I thought.” Haneul leaned back and looked at Taehyung again who froze. But he just smirked, shoving his hands into his pocket and turning out of the room like nothing even happened.

Jimin put a hand on Jungkook’s shoulder, but he just shrugged it away and followed after him unwillingly. The look in his eyes was the saddest thing Taehyung had ever seen, it broke his heart just like before.

His shoulder throbbed suddenly then and he held onto it in pain. Yuna gave him a concerned look. “You need to go lie down OK? You look like you’re about to pass out.”

Yoongi and Hoseok helped him back up towards the room, but Taehyung could only think about what was going to happen to Jungkook. He lay down slowly and closed his eyes, heart beating loudly in his chest.

Yoongi hung back for a while, watching him worriedly before leaving. When the door clicked shut, he opened his eyes again. So many thoughts were running through his mind, there was no way he could sleep like this. Why was Jungkook’s relationship with his brother so damaged? Why was he so violent towards him? There was so much he didn’t know and most likely would never figure out. Jungkook kept that part of his life private for a reason, they weren’t close enough for him to confide yet.

Taehyung turned slowly on his side, sighing in exasperation. He closed his eyes and tiredness eventually overtook his concious from thinking too much, and forced him into a deep sleep. When he awoke in the dark a few hours later, he sat up slowly. The house was quiet and still, everyone must have been asleep by now. He winced as he moved, his shoulder was still in a lot of pain.

Taehyung stumbled out of bed and walked carefully towards the door. He headed downstairs, wondering if Jungkook would be by the fountain. His heart lifted when he saw him sitting alone, but as he reached for the door, Yuna suddenly emerged into view and sat down beside him.

He stepped back. She wrapped her arms carefully around his body, but he didn’t move, just continued staring straight ahead at the water. Taehyung dropped his hand and turned away. He knew it already. That’s how it was supposed to be, she should be the one there to comfort him, it just made sense.

There was no place for him.

He forced himself to go back upstairs and closed the door. His thoughts became quiet as he lay down and closed his eyes again, trying to stop his hands from shaking.

He lay like that for a really long time, in the dark, alone, knowing no one was going to come for him. Just like when he was little.

But the door clicked open.

Taehyung sat up. “Yoongi-”

His heart stopped moving.

It was Jungkook.

He closed the door back slowly and walked over to him. Taehyung’s breath caught in his throat when he hugged him suddenly. The pain in his shoulder subsided and his body felt light, any fear in him was gone.

“Sorry if I woke you.” Jungkook whispered. “Yuna told me I could find you in here, I just wanted to check up on you.”

“It’s OK.” Taehyung wrapped his arms around him hesitantly, relaxing his body.

“Thank you.” He heard Jungkook whisper then.

Taehyung nodded. “It’s no problem.”

“Sorry for getting mad at you earlier.”

“It’s OK, I’m sorry too.”

They stayed like that for a while before Jungkook pulled away slightly and touched his arm. “Does it hurt?”

Taehyung smiled in embarrassment. “Yeah, but it feels a bit better now.”

He flicked him in the forehead.

“Ow!”

“Don’t ever do something for me like that again OK? Especially when it comes to my brother, you don’t know what he’s capable of.” Jungkook said seriously.

“Well I wasn’t just going to stand there and let him hurt you.” Taehyung huffed. “You’re my friend, I had to do something. And you’ve protected me before too so,”

Jungkook shook his head. “I know, but please, just don’t ever do that again. I can, I can protect myself, you don’t have to worry.”

“OK...Fine.” He eventually caved in.

“I just, I don’t want you to get hurt again because of me,” Jungkook trailed off and brushed his fingers softly against his cheek, sending chills down Taehyung’s spine. He moved forward a little and their foreheads touched lightly.

Taehyung couldn’t breathe or move, he clutched his shirt, too afraid to get closer. But Jungkook placed his hand at the nape of his neck and pushed him slightly. Taehyung huffed and closed the space, tangling his fingers in his hair to hold on.

Their lips brushed and it tickled. But Taehyung was too scared to go any further, he didn’t know what was happening. He’d never felt more conflicted in his life. But Jungkook propped his chin up carefully and their lips met completely, the same experience from just a few days ago abruptly overwhelming his body. His lips were so light and sweet, Taehyung felt hooked immediately.

He cupped his face in his hands and they moved deeper, both of them fighting over the other to gain more control. Jungkook panted and kissed his cheeks carefully, his lips travelling down towards his neck, on the skin. Taehyung closed his eyes, his fingers digging into his back.

It felt so good. All of his kisses healed him slowly and he wanted so much more; but how did they end up like this? It wasn’t supposed to be like this. Jungkook was supposed to be with Yuna.

Yuna.

Taehyung opened his eyes and pulled back, but he felt like he was tearing something apart between them.

Jungkook looked at him softly, his fingers caressing his neck. He didn’t look like he wanted to let go.

Yuna.

Taehyung pulled his hand away and intertwined their fingers together.

Why did he not care.

Why was he doing this to her?

He bit his lip and looked down, his heart aching.

Jungkook lifted his head up again and their eyes met slowly.

“It’s OK.” He whispered.

They moved in again, but more hesitantly and kissed softly.

 

This was the universe’s plan.