Chapter 1

Rose Golden (Vkook)

A rose.

Just a normal flower right? Well in Taehyung’s school it meant so much more than that. If any of the girls got a rose in their locker, it meant that one of the most popular boys in school was interested in them. A regular red rose was typically something to get excited about, because you’d be whisked off your feet by Jimin or Jin, the sons of two high class businessmen and women that owned two of the most famous companies in the country. But if you got a rose golden flower from Jungkook; you were immediate royalty. He was the son of Minjun Jeon, one of the top actors in Korea and Hana Jeon, an iconic supermodel known worldwide.

His status and reputation were no joke, girls and even guys, fawned over him like he was some sort of prince. Getting that rare rose meant you’d have the chance to experience what it would be like to date him; some sort of blessing. But almost all of the relationships they got into never even lasted long. They’d date the girl for a few days and then just drop them like it was nothing. Most of the girls already knew this would happen, and yet they still went along with it just to relish in the experience and popularity. Even when they broke their hearts, none of them got mad or even cared; Taehyung though it was pathetic.

Women deserved to be treated with respect, their hearts were fragile and should be protected at all costs. But the boys just thought love was some kind of joke, like the girls were some sort of toy; and he hated that they allowed themselves to get played so easily.Taehyung had never been truly in love before, but he’d dated a few girls. Relationships were sensitive and intimate, not a game. Watching and hearing about these girls constantly get their hearts broken killed him.

He’d even accidentally witnessed one of Jungkook’s heartbreaks the other day, and this girl seemed to be more affected than most. It was rare for Jungkook to even ask anyone out, so for her to get a rose was a big deal and she obviously took it very seriously.
“B-But, we’ve only been dating for like, two days.” She sounded broken.

Jungkook didn’t even say anything back to her, just gave a dull look and flicked some of his black hair out of his eye.

Taehyung was about to leave because he felt awkward intruding in on their private conversation; but then he heard a loud thwack. He froze and looked back-the girl had really slapped him. She was crying now and shouting angrily.

“I thought you cared about me!”

Jungkook gave a chuckle, then pushed his tongue against the side of his cheek. He looked irritated. “Are you new here or something? I never gave a about you, I don’t give a about anyone.”

That shut the girl up quickly; because she already knew that, but still fell into the delusional trap. Still took whatever they had together too seriously. She let out a painful sob then pushed passed him, careening out of the room.

Taehyung watched her run away quietly, feeling bad but not knowing what to do. It was too late before he noticed Jungkook was behind him though, he glanced back. Jungkook was giving a pleased smirk, like he thought whatever had just happened was funny. He wanted to punch the stupid smile right off of his face.

It still irked him to that day, how easily he would just do that to someone. But he shouldn’t have even been surprised; this was the Jungkook everybody knew and chose to accept. They gave all of them a free pass just because of who they were and where they came from; even teachers.

Taehyung sighed and hung his arm boredly around Yuna’s neck as they walked inside together. The girl Jungkook had recently rejected dropped out of school a few days after it had happened. Some nasty rumours had started randomly spreading around about her; and Taehyung was sure Jungkook had somehow somehow initiated it. She’d literally hit him, no one could get away with that doing without getting some sort of consequence for it.

Yuna glanced at him. “Why are you sighing so much today?”

“Just tired.” He muttered back. It wasn’t a lie, final exams were coming up and he couldn’t remember the last time he’d gotten a decent sleep. But it didn’t matter, if he didn’t get into a good university by the end of the second term, literally nothing would matter. He had to keep supporting both him and Yuna for a long time, which meant he needed to work harder.

“I thought I told you to go to bed early yesterday, why do you never listen to me huh? Are you trying to have an early death?” She pinched his ear in annoyance and he winced.

“Ow, ow, stop you’re hurting me!” He tried to swat her hand away, but she just gripped on tighter.

“I heard someone say Jungkook might have given out another rose today.” A girl exclaimed excitedly to her friend as they passed by them in the hall then.

Yuna glanced back with a frown. “Didn’t he just give out a rose recently? Why would he give out another one so soon, that’s weird.”

Taehyung yawned and rubbed his eyes. “Who cares.”

Someone jumped on his back then and he almost tripped over. “Ow!” He hissed, glaring back and noticing it was Hoseok.

“Whoa, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning or something? Geez, loosen up.” He laughed, ruffling his hair playfully then looking at Yuna. “Morning, you’re brother literally cussed me out in a text today, I think exam stress is getting to him.”

She gave him a sweet smile, tucking a short piece of brown hair behind her ear. “Morning Hobi, and yeah I think it is too. He literally forgot to give me my hug today and he never, ever forgets.”

Taehyung embraced her tightly, trying to be his usual happy and enthusiastic self but his excessive tiredness was unmotivating. Except just being in Yuna’s presence always seemed to make him feel better, there was just something so bright and contagious about her; something that he wanted to protect at all costs. Her happiness.

Ever since that day when they both lost everything; he promised to always make his beautiful little sister happy.

They stopped at her locker and Hoseok rested an arm on Taehyung’s shoulder. “Hey, have you heard from Yoongi at all? He hasn’t answered any of my texts.”

Taehyung shrugged. “He’s most likely ditching school to sleep in or maybe he just doesn’t want to talk to you, could be both.”

“Wow, that makes me feel so good thanks.” He muttered, removing his arm in a huff.

Taehyung laughed, giving him a playful shove. “I’m just joking calm down-”

 

Something fell down in front of them onto the floor then. Taehyung glanced down and literally felt his heart freeze in his chest.

Hoseok blinked. “Uh, is that what I think it is?” He glanced up at Yuna who was looking down in surprise as well.

The whole hallway fell silent. Everyone’s eyes settled on them.

A rose lay by Yuna’s feet, but it wasn’t just any red rose; it was a rose golden one. And there was a white piece of paper attached to its stem.

Yuna started to bend down to pick it up, but Taehyung quickly beat her to it.

His hands were literally shaking as he ripped the note off and opened it up frantically.

“Yuna, be mine.” The words said. It made him cringe.

“Oh .” Hoseok whispered, Taehyung glanced up and saw Jungkook then with Jimin and Jin. Everyone in the hallway had literally parted ways to make space for them to get through. The atmosphere was electric and tense; you could tell something big was going to happen. All eyes were set on them whenever they liked it or not.

Jungkook walked up to Taehyung and took the rose from him, their eyes locking momentarily. There was something intense behind his stare, something that made him uncomfortable and uneasy.

Yuna stood looking so small and timid underneath him as he turned to look at her, a classic killer smile forming on his lips that almost every girl died over.

“Yuna, right?” He asked seductively, a voice Taehyung was sure he used on everyone to get his way.

She nodded quickly, a blush creeping up onto her neck.

He leaned in closer, getting only inches away from her face and holding the rose against his lips. “So what do you think? Do you want to be my-”

Taehyung interfered quickly and shoved him backwards, snatching the rose out of his hand. He threw it onto the floor and gave Jungkook the scariest look he could properly manifest onto his soft face.

The hall erupted in explosive chatter at the altercation.

Jungkook stumbled back, a surprised but annoyed look coming across his face.

“Hey-” Jimin spoke up in defense but Jungkook quickly stopped him by raising his hand. He stepped back with Jin, who looked almost as shocked as everyone else.

Jungkook adjusted his collar and gave his neck a quick tilt. Taehyung didn’t take his glare off of him for a second.

He cleared his throat. “What are you doing?” His voice was tense.

“My sister’s not going out with you, it’s not going to happening; ever.” He hissed back.

Jungkook smirked. “And you really think that decision is up to you? I think we need to hear it from her herself; what she really wants to do.”

Taehyung grit his teeth. “I don’t need to hear about what she wants to do, because I’m not going to let her-”

“Taehyung, wait.” He felt her hand on his arm then. “W-Wait a sec,”

“Yuna, what are you-” She walked out from behind him then and faced Jungkook head on, a determined look on her face.

“Jungkook, I-I’ll go out with you.”