9th story

Story of a Boy

 

I woke up with Dara half on top of me. Gone was her invisible barrier. I was just beginning to enjoy this position when she stirred and disentangled herself from me.

 

 “Don’t… not just yet, let’s stay like this for a little while longer” I said hugging her close to me.

 

She smelled nice and she had this just woke up look that looked fresh and cute.

 

I was feeling this moment that she wasn’t pushing me away or reinforcing her boundaries.  Right then and there I would’ve confessed but I held back thinking it was too soon.

 

I have the whole of summer to make her fall in love with me.

 

 

 

 

Our first morning on the beach was spent goofing around like little kids. It was a nice feeling, that we were like before, carefree and untroubled.  

 

We built sandcastles and took turns burying each other in the sand. She was so busy collecting seaglass and shells that she almost forgot about me.

 

We exercised our sealungs by swimming as far as we could then back to shore. Dara had always been a good swimmer but then I always cheated. I splashed her with saltwater and wrestled with her in the water until she surrendered.

 

We would have stayed in the beach all day if not for fear of burning ourselves to crisps, and fear of having no food in our tummy and money in our pockets.

 

 

 

 

We hit the town later in the afternoon, to buy food and supplies and to look for summer jobs.

 

The owner of the convenience store was kind enough to refer us to some of the other shop owners in the area. I had the inkling that she thought we were a young couple. How I hoped it were true.

 

She went to the bookstore and got accepted by the owner as part-time book clerk/ librarian. I’m sure she’ll enjoy her job since she’ll be surrounded by books the whole day.

 

I got hired at the coffeeshop across the street from the bookstore. I don’t know a thing about making coffee even if I like drinking them; I guess I’ll just have to learn then.

 

 

 

 

 

With the passing of days we quickly fell into a routine. We managed the house by ourselves, splitting up chores and bills.

 

On the weekend, we spent time at the beach, with me swimming and snoozing while Dara caught up with her reading. I enjoyed this peaceful time we had.

 

If you’d ask me, we were like living in domestic bliss; I could almost imagine myself doing this everyday with her for the rest of my life.

 

 

 

 

We waited for the sun to set to end our perfect day.

 

I was amusing myself watching Dara. She had this contented look in her eyes which got me curious but then she cried.

 

“Hey, what’s the matter? Why are you crying?” I asked, concern of what suddenly came on to her.

 

“Nothing. It’s just so beautiful” she said still looking far away into the sunset.

 

Here she goes again. “Crybaby” I teased. She always cries easily whether she’s sad or happy or scared.

 

I looked back into the setting sun shedding its colors of pink, orange, red and golden into the sky and sea then at her. I smiled, knowing which was more beautiful.  “I’ve always thought it was beautiful before but I never truly knew how much”

 

She then turned to me and I looked away into the sunset, afraid that she’d find out and bust me early. She didn’t say anything though and I’m quite relieved that she must not have caught on to me. I’m still building up my courage.

 

 

 

 

When the sun was well set and the sky was dusk, I offered her my hand to help her up.

 

“Let’s go home” I said, smiling.

 

Our cottage was home for now. Wherever she is, that is home to me.

 

 

 

 

I tried my best to never let you in to see the truth
And I've never opened up, I've never truly loved til

You put your arms around me
And I believe that it's easier for you to let me go

I hope that you see right through my walls
I hope that you catch me cause I'm already falling
I'll never let a love get so close
You put your arms around me and I'm home...

You put your arms around me and I'm home


                                                                        - Arms, Christina Perri