8th story

Story of a Boy

 

We rented a small cottage by the beach for 2 months because it was cheap and fit our budget and because we both thought it looked quaint.

 

We figured that we could look for summer jobs to cover for our expenses.

 

But the much more pressing problem she was concerned with was the one bed status.

 

 

 

 

 “I guess we’ll have to share then” I said, being practical about it although I didn’t think it would be too bad. However, I was apprehensive whether she’ll take this lightly.

 

 “Come on! It’s not like we haven’t slept in each other’s bed before. I don’t hog the covers you know and I don’t move around a lot, or sleep talk or snore” I said, teasing her, knowing those were the things she did when we were younger and shared beds.

 

 “But we were kids then and we stopped sleeping in each other’s beds since we were 13! Besides, what if you have developed some nasty sleeping habit I don’t know about?”

 

Come to think of it, I don’t recall why we stopped sleeping in each other’s beds.

 

“Relax, will you? It’s not like I’m dying to sleep beside you as well. You should be lucky I’m putting up with your sleeping habits. We could always trade days on the bed while the other sleeps on the floor”

 

“What! Are you saying you’d let me sleep on the floor?” she screamed, almost hurting my ears.
 

“It was just a suggestion. I don’t really want to sleep on the floor and you don’t really want to sleep on the floor either. So let’s just hold a truce and share the bed, okay? Plus the owner said there could be spiders or mice crawling around. And I hate spiders and you hate mice so I guess it’s a pretty done deal.” I said.

 

Just the look on her face, told me I got her.

 

 

 

 

It was a fiasco before we hit the bed. With me forgetting my clothes. What would Dara think of me? And with her nose suddenly bleeding like that.

 

When it was time to sleep, I let Dara do the assigning of which side of the bed belonged to whom. As we were lying in bed, I never felt more stiff and unrelaxed. I’m not sure if she felt the same way as her back was against me.

 

“Good night Dara, Thank you for wanting to spend the summer with me” I said stifling a yawn, unsure whether she’d hear me.

 

“Good night Ji, see you in the morning” I thought I heard her say before I succumbed to sleep.