12th story

Story of a Boy

 

I never found out what went down between Dara and Il Woo but it could not have been bad as they were still hanging out frequently together. And I don’t have it in me to ask Dara if she has already accepted Il Woo’s proposal.

 

Summer was almost over and Il Woo had to go back for his enrolment. Dara and I went to see him off, more Dara actually but I did not want her to be alone afterwards. She might need me to comfort her when he’s gone.

 

I was waiting in the distance watching the both of them, not knowing what they were talking about but it must be important or why else would they be holding each other as if the world was ending? I felt a kick in my gut witnessing the two of them saying their goodbyes.

 

When they broke their hug, it looked like Il Woo was teasing her and Dara swat him in the arm. I hoped that hurts. But Dara was smiling back at him. Suddenly, Il Woo swooped in for a kiss. Did he kiss her cheeks or her lips? I wasn’t sure but whichever way, I wanted to punch his mouth. He then went off towards his bus with a final wave and smile at Dara, who stood transfixed and blushing.

 

 

 

 

 

As we went back to our cottage, I pretended as if I’ve missed their whole exchange even though I felt madly jealous. But I know Dara misses him and her feelings take precedence over mine.

 

 

 

 

We ended up at the beach soaking up the afternoon sun. She was sitting quietly lost in her thoughts. She had this miserable look on her face. She must be thinking about Il Woo.

 

I was fighting with myself whether to ask her if I could help or let her be. A good friend would help her as what she did to me but my own feelings were getting in the way.

 

Suddenly she spoke up. “What?”

 

“Nothing.” I said.

 

“It’s not ‘nothing’ if you keep on looking at me. When that happens and somebody says ‘nothing’, it usually means something. So what’s bothering you?” she asked a little annoyed.

 

“Do you miss Il Woo?” I blurted. Way to go Ji!

 

“Why are you asking that?” she asked

 

“Because if you do, you know you can talk to me and I’d listen. I know most of the time it’s me running to you for help but I can be your shoulder too” I replied. There, I said it. I’m being a good friend.

 

“He’s been a good friend and now he’s gone. Of course I miss him.” she said.

 

“You’re just friends?!” I asked, surprise and disbelief were the first that I felt.

 

“Just friends” she repeated.

 

My ears could not help but perk up at the news. Relief started to flood me.

 

“That’s good.” I said, finally able to smile. Fate is back on my side!

 

I stood up and ruffled her hair affectionately. I still had planning to do. And I won’t waste my chance this time.