3rd story

Story of a Boy

 

We graduated highschool. Even I am amazed I did. But I have Dara to thank for that. We were attending the same university and even nextdoor neighbors in our dorm.

 

I took up International studies, whatever it was, while Dara took up Biology. Studies took most of her time so I hang out with other people but I always make sure to spend time with her when she’s free.

 

I always stayed at her place when she’s there. The food’s good and her place were cleaner. I’d sleep in her couch to spend the night. I still liked her more than a friend and I don’t think it’ll go away soon but in time you just get used to it.

 

 

 

 

One day, I bumped into a girl. I immediately apologized and helped her pick up her fallen books. She said her name was Kiko, a transferee student from Japanand she was in my class. Kiko was different from Dara. I liked her and I think she likes me so maybe this was it. I thought that she could help me forget about Dara and so I invited her out to date.

 

 

 

 

I thought I should let Kiko and Dara meet. After all, my bestfriend should meet the girl I’m dating right? Besides, I’ll be asking Kiko to be my girlfriend so I can stop myself from always thinking about Dara.

 

We all went out to dinner. And Dara and Kiko were polite to each other. And I hoped that  they’d eventually warm up to each other.

 

We went home together and dropped Kiko at her apartment. I asked her to be my girlfriend just before she entered her apartment and she answered me with a kiss. If that wasn’t a yes, then I don’t what is!

 

“Dara, I’m really happy right now” I said still feeling a little giddy from earlier.

 

“Really?” she said, a little high-pitched.

 

“Kiko’s my girlfriend now!” I happily announced.

 

“Oh! Then I’m happy for you” she said even as she was crying.

 

I was worried that I might have hurt her and that maybe she felt left out. “But why are you crying?”

 

“Aisht! These are tears of happiness, don’t you see?” she said, smiling this goofy grin.

 

“You’re still a crybaby. Come here.” I said as I wrapped my arms around her. Oh! How I’ve often imagined myself having her in my arms.

 

Give it up Ji! I reminded myself. She still sees you as a bestfriend, besides you already have a girlfriend.

 

“I’m happy that you’re happy for me. When the time comes you fall in love, I’ll do the same for you. Because we’re bestfriends” I said.

 

“Bestfriends” she said and hugged me back.

 

 

 

Bestfriends that’s just the way things were. It’s all that I could ever hope to be for her.