He Didn't Deny It

Only A Fan

LOVE IS COMPLICATED.

 

Previous Chapter:

“J-jay, it’s n-not what you think it is!” He stuttered.

 

You couldn’t bring yourself to believe him as you saw what had happened next, the scene slowly unfolding in front of your eyes.

 

"Annyeonghaseyo!" Hanbyul exclaimed happily, grinning at you. "Let me introduce myself."

 

You watched as she glanced up at Seven with a sweet smile plastered on her face before turning back to face you.

 

"I'm Seven's girlfriend."

 

Chapter 13:

You couldn’t understand why your facial expression lost composure so quickly. You couldn’t understand why you felt upset either. It wasn’t even in your position to feel upset. All you could understand was that Hanbyul unnie just told you she was Seven’s girlfriend again. And that you didn’t like it one bit.

 

“O-oh...jinja?” You asked, unable to hide the thin layer of disappointment from your voice.

 

You could feel Seven’s eyes watching you and could just imagine the look on his face, but decided to just talk to Hanbyul. You knew that once you looked at him, your heart would squeeze again and you would feel the pain you didn’t want to feel a second time.

 

“Neh!” Hanbyul cheerfully replied, moving to interlock her fingers with Seven’s. “We just got back together!”

 

You suddenly got what felt like heartburn and this time, it was worse than before. You managed to congratulate Seven and Hanbyul and took the effort to ignore the pain.

 

“C-congrats to you both...!” You tried to smile.

 

I hope Seven doesn’t see through me...

 

~*~

Dongwook’s P.O.V.

 

“C-congrats to you both...!”

 

She then smiled at me. I instantaneously smiled back, my years of experience in acting finally kicking in. Eight years ago, I would have already started tearing up because of her nonchalant attitude towards me. Now, I was able to return that attitude back without a second thought. It’s funny how I can ignore that slight pang in my heart every time. I guess I’m getting used to that heartache after so long. I’m not even sure now, whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing.

 

What surprised me the most was the fact that I was able to take my acting a step further. I put my arm around Hanbyul’s waist and gave her a small squeeze. Hanbyul and you gave a small squeal and I watched as you quickly covered with her hand to prevent further outbursts.

 

I inwardly sighed. I knew you was just shocked that I did such a thing in front of her, hence her gasp. It was wishful thinking on my part to even think that she might have cared about the skinship between Hanbyul and I. My heart tensed again as I felt it being squeezed painfully. I’ve always thought this wasn’t fair. Why do I have to feel all the pain while the other person doesn’t even know what I go through every day?

 

“Yeobo~~!” Hanbyul cooed.

 

I immediately froze in place. Honestly, how could someone with a pretty complexion like her get such a y attitude? Yes, I just cursed, and I apologize to all those who can read my mind. But that really isn’t the point. Back when I was in high school, I’ve always wondered what kind of bull Korean dramas taught kids. Unrequited love was painful for a couple of episodes? Unrequited love ended up being returned? The ending is always happy? What a joke. Sometimes, I wonder if it would just be easier to have the people we love written on our foreheads. Yet some people say it would then be chaos.

 

“Yeobo?” That same voice interrupted me. “Are you okay? Are you feeling unwell?”

 

I wonder why I even get myself into complicated situations sometimes. I instinctively avoided Hanbyul’s somewhat fake concern.

 

“I’m fine, Byul. you, I’ll see you at the stage in a few, okay? I’m glad you didn’t forget.”

 

“O-of co-course I wouldn’t forget, oppa!” You exclaimed flustered.

 

I laughed, knowing I was incapable of holding my ‘cold’ facade for long. I needed to work on that in order to stay classified as Hanbyul’s boyfriend. After all, I knew I had no chance with you. I needed to move on.

 

“I’m pretty sure you did good on your performance test today as well.”

 

I gave her a wink and a light pat on the shoulder as I walked past her.

 

“Thanks for coming.” I whispered on the way out.

 

I didn’t bother to say bye to Hanbyul. I knew she would be looking for me soon anyway, in search of an explanation. I was also sure she would be more than glad to be my girlfriend, even if I wasn’t completely into it. I just hoped she wouldn’t follow you to my countdown stage. There has been enough distractions today to last me for months, and I don’t think I need all of that anymore.

 

~*~

Your P.O.V.

 

Life couldn’t have so much at that point. Your best friend since you were a baby just admitted to his ex-girlfriend’s claim that she was his girlfriend again and even showed some skinship in front of you.

 

Okay, so this isn’t so much of a big deal to everyone else who hears this, but...knowing the close type of friends we are, I feel a sense of betrayal. And frankly speaking, I hate it. I hate feeling this way. It makes me feel so greedy and useless...

 

What betrayal? It’s not like we’re lovers. You thought long and hard about it as you quickly exited the convenience store minutes later and escaped Hanbyul’s line of sight. Knowing all of this and convincing yourself that you were fine didn’t last long. As a couple walked past you on the sidewalk, holding hands and laughing with their heads inches apart, you felt heartburn again.

 

I should really get some medicine for this.

 

You picked up your speed, eager to just get to the M! Countdown stage, watch Seven’s performance, and go home.

 

LOVE IS COMPLICATED.

 

~*~

A/N:

Hello, this is Kpopchicken back with a new update of “Only A Fan”! Please continue to support, rate, comment, and subscribe to my stories and thanks to all the new subs who joined me in the adventure of this complicated love story~! xD

 

Love,

Author

 

P.S. I created a new foreword for a fanfiction called, “Playful Kiss: The EXO Version”. For all those EXO fans out there who ship Hunhan and/or love the drama/manga/anime, ‘Playful Kiss’, please check out my new fanfic! [Get out of reader mode at the top of the page in order to click the link]