i keep thinking of you

Perfect Mess

October 2015

 

“Good morning Seungwannie!!!! Sorry to disturb you this early but do you have the arrangement for Hug Me?” Wendy read Chanyeol’s text half awake.

 

After the dream concert collaboration, Chanyeol & Wendy grew closer with music. They were less awkward compared when they were just trainees, merely “greeting friends”. Now, they were more like “music friends”. Chanyeol asks Wendy regarding their Western pop music faves’, some updates may it be mainstream or underground more than often. They liked similar genres, sometimes she laughs over how Chanyeol begs her to teach him correct pronunciation of some English words and he goes crazy over Wendy’s unusual Korean pronounciation. “Yes you’re early, Yeol and yes, I have it. I’ll send the sheet through email.” Wendy replied with a smile. She enjoys Chanyeol’s company as much as how she enjoys the company of her Red Velvet unnie & dongsaengs. With Chanyeol though, she thought there was something different maybe because of their love for music but at times, their conversations go beyond music.

 

---

 

“HELLO! Chanyeol & Wendy! Wazzz up? You both free tomorrow night? Let’s go to song camp. I’m arranging this pop duet with some classical tune and I want you both to sing the demo.” – Henry

 

“Hyung, that would be fun. I’ll see through my sched and ask our manager.”-Chanyeol

 

“I’m free tomorrow.”- Wendy

 

“Our manager said I’m good tomorrow night. See you guys!” - Chanyeol

 

“Okay then, see you! I’ll be sending you a clip of the instrumental.” -Henry

 

---

 

“Hey, how’s the prep for your concert tours? Why are you even here like you should rest right?” Wendy exclaimed as she walked towards Chanyeol. He just smiled and pat Wendy’s head and put his arm over her shoulders. It was a bold move, she thought she was used to it but this time her heart skipped a beat. How could she not be giddy about how Chanyeol’s eyes were mesmerizing and his smile reflected his good-looking features. She slapped herself to reality, “I guess I’m just sleepy.” He laughed. “You must be really sleepy. Concert’s prep is fine and like hello? Music is our rest, remember? Have you listened to the clip sent by Henry hyung?” He asked as he opened a can of cold orange juice and gave it to her. “Oh yes. Music is life. That demo had a great tune. I wonder when he’ll join us. Good thing our comeback promotions are already over.” Wendy replied as she drank the juice. "Yeah I loved Dumb Dumb tho, you slayed!" while Chanyeol danced weirdly.

 

“I’m sorry I won’t make it tonight. I got an emergency meeting with some Chinese producers.” Henry texted. Chanyeol and Wendy were quite upset since they loved song camps and making demos. As he turned off the keyboard, he asked her, “Where you want to eat?” Wendy was a bit confused, “This late? You want to eat? Diet?” Her phone rang and she signaled Chanyeol as she answered the call, “Aunt, what’s wrong?” She continued while Chanyeol was looking at her with a worried face, “No problem Aunt, no worries I’ll help you with your hospital bills. I’ll pray for you both. Take care and I hope Uncle recovers fast.” She hangs up with a calm expression. “You okay?” Chanyeol asked. “Yeah, I’m good. My uncle just had a mild . Everything will be fine. So where do we go? I’ll just accompany you. You know I easily gain weight, fans might be mad.”

 

“No, you’re totally fine. You should not bother, you’re perfect.” Wendy was shocked with Chanyeol’s sudden remark. Well he was shocked too. He didn’t know why he said that maybe it was coz’ he was also quite sleepy or because he was just overwhelmed how kind-hearted Wendy is. Ever since they became “music friends”, he always saw how sincere and selfless Wendy is for everyone. “Well, maybe I’m quite perfect.” Wendy joked to put away the awkward atmosphere.

 

---

Chanyeol was talking to his mom over the phone.

“Mom, we’re going to Viva Polo. You closing?”

“Yes, why?”

“My friend and I are coming over to eat.”

“Girlfriend?”

“No, Wendy making some music stuff.”

“Oh. Your MUSIC FRIEND Wendy from Red Velvet. I really love her voice. I’ll leave some pizza and pasta in the kitchen, you have the keys right? I’ll go ahead, send her my regards.”

“Okay ma. Love you and stop teasing.”

“I am not. She’s your MUSIC FRIEND and yeah, you forgot some sweaters at home. I’ll leave it at the kitchen too.”

---

 

They arrived at Viva Polo and Chanyeol went to the kitchen, grabbed the pizza and pasta and prepared it on a table. Wendy was amazed by the number of pictures and fanarts around the place. She was giggling at Chanyeol’s certain childhood picture. “This is too cute, such wide ears,” as she pinch Chanyeol’s ears. She guessed they knew each other for some time and these subtle skinship acts are fine. “You cute small kid, stop teasing.” He ruffled her hair. “Oh my god, your fans will kill me if they see us. They’ll think we’re that close.” Wendy exclaimed. “No one will see us. Yes, we're that close, and it’s past midnight.” He winked.  

 

 

He gives Wendy the paperbag with a sweater in it. “You’re giving this to me?” “No, I’m just showing you this….” He replied while she frowned cutely. “Yeah it’s yours, you said the last time you really liked the design when we wore this in our concert.” She hugged the sweater and immediately wore it. “Thank you so much! I really love this.” Chanyeol added, "No worries, fans won't feel it's a couple thing because we all have sponsored stuff". They talked about food, music, hobbies, and performances and teased each other till the wee hours.

 

---

“Never a dull moment with Wendy as always. She’s way too cool and she’s eager to listen to whatever I say, no matter how pointless it is.” Chanyeol laughs while lying down in his bed. “Good night Seungwannie, had so much fun,” he mumbles.

 

It was almost morning but she was just about to go to bed and thought, “It was always fun teasing Chanyeol, he’s the only one who can get my jokes, we’re too similar. Too crazy similar.”

 

Both were unaware, they were thinking of each other, always.

 

But before I go to sleep, I think of you again

When I open my eyes in the morning, I think of you again

Why do I think of you when I’m walking by myself?

I think of you, I keep thinking of you

 

Song: Lil’ Something by Chen and Heize