you will always be my

Perfect Mess

 

May 2015

---

It was a warm night as Wendy was walking through the hallway to the practice room. She was excited and at the same time nervous collaborating with Tiger JK, Bizzy, and Yoon Mi Rae sunbaenims. Honored because she was a huge fan ever since.

 

“Hmm. I forgot, Chanyeol sunbaenim. Manager-nim said he will also be part of this collaboration. Too much pressure, I guess”. She thought as she arrived in the practice room. She saw a guitar and immediately sat down & played her favorite MFBTY track, Angel, singing her own acoustic version.

 

…even my soul closed its eyes, even my shadow got lazy

But then you knew my heart, you embraced me

Angel my angel, you make me smile…

 

---

Being excited was an understatement. Chanyeol’s heart was racing as he was rushing to the practice room. “I cannot be late. Like, what if Tiger JK, Yoon Mi Rae, and Bizzy sunbaenims are already there? I’m dead.”

 

EXO Group Kakao Chat.

 

Baek: Where you @Yeollie?

Chanyeol: Why? I’m at SM. To the practice room for dream con. I AM SO EXCITED!!!

Chen: Oh is that the one with WENDY? WAAAH.

Sehun: Fanboy. Can’t move on from that Endless Love collab.

Chen: WAE?!? She’s is really very super kind, very talented and has such a beautiful voice.

D.O: Well, that’s true.

Chanyeol: Oh I forgot Wendy is also there. Wendy is from Red Velvet right?

Chen: ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Chanyeol: I’m just joking. You’re such a fanboy Chen-ah. WAEEEE? Wait, why are y’all still awake?

Kai: Kyungsoo’s cooking tteokbokki, the rest are watching a movie.

Suho: We’ll rest early after. Go home after the practice.

Chanyeol: Yes hyung. I'm just too excited with the SUNBAENIMS.

Chen: and WENDY :D

Chanyeol: K bye.

 

Chanyeol was playing MFBTY’s “Get It In” loud with his headset on jamming along .He saw through the glass window, Wendy sitting and playing the guitar. As he removed his earphones, he went in silently and listened from afar Wendy’s beautiful rendition. His eyes widened as he listened to his sweet and soulful voice, “Talented indeed”, he thought.

 

…You are my angel, putting a smile on my face when I’m sad

No matter what anyone says, it’s you, you melt my heart

I love you, cause you will always be my…

 

Wendy finishes as she strummed the last chord and nodded her head, “This guitar is not bad.” “You were not bad at all”, Chanyeol uttered. Wendy immediately turned as she saw Chanyeol standing by the door. She stood up, bowed and greeted him, “Annyeonghaseyo sunbaenim, I didn’t know you were there, sorry.” Chanyeol smiled and bowed back. He didn’t realize he was smiling for long as she was amazed of Wendy’s cute stature and beautiful features, most importantly her heavenly voice. “No wonder Chen was your fanboy,” he said sincerely with his cute puppy eyes.

 

Wendy was surprised not with his comment but how Chanyeol looked sincere as he smiled and bowed back. She was surprised that despite EXO’s popularity now, he doesn’t have a slight aura of arrogance or the sunbaes-eating-their-hoobaes feels as she thought ever since she transferred from Canada.

 

“Well, we’re early. So are you excited?” Chanyeol said as he respectfully offered Wendy a seat. “Yes, too much and too much pressure too.” Wendy replied as she was looking from afar. “Your rendition of Angel was the best one I’ve heard and don't worry. You'll be fine and you’ll do great.” He replied looking at Wendy. He thought she was really nervous so he suggested for both of them to buy drinks at a near vending machine for the sunbaenims and for them too. Chanyeol offered to pay and they both were carrying the juices and coffees as they met MFBTY at the corridors. By instinct, both bowed in front of their sunbaenims while MFBTY smiled and pat their heads. “You’re both cute. Hello, I’m Yoon Mirae,” as she shook hands with Chanyeol and Wendy. “Gosh we were nearly lost around your building. Hello, I’m Bizzy.” He said as if he was rapping and fist-pumped the two. “Tiger JK here. Nice to meet & collaborate with fresh young talents. So where do we go?” He hugged them both coolly while all of them proceed to the practice room.

 

Wendy was giving out the drinks to their sunbaenims as she said she was really honored working with them while Chanyeol was orienting the sunbaenims regarding the musical equipment in their practice room. They started vocalizing and practiced. MFBTY was giving them advices how to nail hiphop and Wendy was eager to learn more as she mentioned, “I love hiphop so much too but I’m quite awkward. How can I deliver swag?” Yoon Mi Rae replied, “I admire you kid. Not just because you’re cute but you really want to learn. Well, as artists we already know the technical stuff. You just to have feel music, love it and think of the people you love and what message you want to deliver to your fans, to the people.” Tiger JK added, “Simply feel the music and there’s swag.” Chanyeol and Bizzy were nodding along.

 

Throughout the practice, Chanyeol was unaware that he was stealing glances to Wendy as she was learning from Yoon Mi Rae. He was looking out to her, she was doing great. They ended with both the vocal and dance practices earlier than expected as both Chanyeol and Wendy easily adapted and learned Bang Diggy Bang Bang. Chanyeol expressed his happiness, “Thank you hyungs and noona for everything.” Yoon Mi Rae replied, “Thank you for teaching us tips for dancing too.” Bizzy exclaimed, “You were both great! You might be the next Tiger JK and Yoon Mi Rae~” Everyone laughed with Wendy and Chanyeol blushing. They bowed as MFBTY went out of the practice room.

 

"Thank you Chanyeol sunbaenim for helping me out today.” Wendy remarked as she bowed. “I didn’t do much, you were talented enough. Let’s be comfortable, you can drop the honorifics.” Chanyeol replied. Wendy agreed and both waved goodbye.

 

“Well, she was great.” He thought Chen was right. He enjoyed the collaboration but he also enjoyed knowing Wendy. Her personality was warm and her voice made him forget the pressures of being an artist. He thought she was like an angel just by the aura. “I hope we can be good friends.” He said to himself as he put on his earphones and played a part of Wendy’s cover of Angel as he was able to record from his phone earlier prior to practice.

 

 

…You are my angel, putting a smile on my face when I’m sad

No matter what anyone says, it’s you, you melt my heart

I love you, cause you will always be my…

 

Song: Angel by MFBTY