EXTRA CHAPTER 5

Arranged Marriage

(Took place in chapter 4)

 

Princess Hayeon had gathered all her courage to ask the royal bodyguard to let her visit Prince Taekwoon in his room. The bodyguard, Wonsik, escorted her to the door to Taekwoon's room. He knocked thrice and they heard a soft "come in," from the room.

Wonsik opened the door and gestured for the princess to enter the room. She got quite hesitant but she felt the need to talk to the prince before it's too late.

The princess quietly entered the room, not forgetting to close the door as soon as she is inside the room. As soon as she turned to face the direction of the prince, the prince sat up from his previous position.

With her soft voice, she said, "I've asked Wonsik if I can visit you in your room. I've just wanted to get to know you better," she half whispered her last sentence. She looked up and noticed no signs of other reaction from the prince, and so she continued, "I--There's still a few hours before dinner, and so I was hoping if I can get to chat with you."

"Uh well I think we can do that?", the princess immediately looked at him and gave him a wide smile. She is just happy that the prince is not pushing her away.

The prince patted the space next to him, indicating the princess to take a seat next to the prince. The princess got surprised for a second, but slowly and surely complied the next second.

There was an awkward silence between the two.

The prince cleared his throat, and it caught the attention of the princess. "Uh, well..," he started. "What do you think of this marriage?", he stated.

"This arranged marriage, you say?", the princess emphasized. The prince nodded.

"Well, I knew that this will happen," the princess said. "I wasn't that prepared that it will happen this soon." 

"I wasn't really expecting this," the prince replied. "It hasn't really crossed my mind."

"I see," the princess nodded. "Well, I suppose you have plans to turn this whole thing down?"

"It did crossed my mind. But the final say won't be mine so..", the prince stopped as he doesn't know what to say especially when he saw the princess bowed so hard, the prince cannot see her face.

The prince reached forward to caress the right arm of the princess, an attempt to make her feel better. "What are you thinking?", he asked.

"Do you think it would be possible to postpone the marriage?", the princess asked back while looking straight in the eyes of the prince.

"That, I think, is possible..as long as we can give a valid reason to the kings and queens," the prince answered. "Is there anything that bothers you?"

"I--Do you think we can postpone the marriage for quite some time? I mean, if possible, a year or so?", the princess asked, her eyes wide open, glistening with tears that have yet to drop.

The prince reached forward to wipe the tears at the corner of the eyes of the princess. "Mind to tell me?", the prince whispered.

"I'm still looking for someone. A childhood friend of mine," the princess sniffed as she remembers her friend. "We have yet to meet ever since he moved to start his studies and trainings."

The princess looked down on her lap and let her tears stream down her face. "It's okay that he had missed my birthdays, but for this one..I would want him to be there," the princess said in a whisper.

Taekwoon took hold of Hayeon's hand as an attempt to calm the princess.

"Well, I can try to help you find your friend."

The princess looked up, surprised. She turned to the direction of the prince, and she waited for his next statement.

The prince lightly squeezed Hayeon's hand. "Tell me anything about him."

"I call him Woonie," Hayeon smiled as she said that to the prince whose eyes widen as he heard the statement. "We used to play a lot back then, we even took care of a baby before!" Hayeon laughed softly at the memory. "But sadly, other than that, I can't remember much.."

"It's okay," the prince leaned closer to Hayeon. "I know him."

"Who?", the princess immediately asked.

"You've seen him," the prince said in a teasing tone. "You've seen him already, Yeonie."

Yeonie

Yeonie

       and then  it clicked.

A tear dropped from Hayeon's eye at the sudden realization. She immediately wrapped her arms around the man in front of her.

"It's you! It's you, right? Taekwoonie? Woonie?", she said as she pulled away abit just enough to look at the prince in front of her.

The prince reached forward to cup the face of the princess. "Yes, Yeonie. It's me, Woonie," he said as he placed a kiss on Hayeon's forehead.