EXTRA CHAPTER 2

Arranged Marriage

setting: The Cha's mansion. Continuation of the flashback from Chapter 7.

__________

Little Taekwoon and Little Hayeon walks hand-in-hand around the garden.

Little Hayeon is still holding the small bouquet that Taekwoon has given her earlier. She lightly blushes at the thought of the event.

Her train of thoughts was cut off when suddenly Taekwoon stops from walking. He lightly tugs at Hayeon's hand.

"What is it?", she asks Taekwoon.

Taekwoon uses his free hand to point at a certain direction. Immediately, Hayeon looks at where Taekwoon is pointing.

There she sees a small circle of children. She can recognize almost all of the children, except for the child in the middle.

Everyone seems to have fun, as they are laughing non-stop, well except for the child in the middle.

Taekwoon lightly pulls Hayeon to the direction of the children. When they got a bit closer, Hayeon is able to hear what the children are talking about.

Immediately, anger rushes to both Hayeon and Taekwoon. The children surrounding the child in the middle are directly saying mean things.

"You're just cute, but I'm sure your mother hates you!"

"Stay away from him! He might be a badluck!"

"Want to play with us? You can't! We don't play with anyone that is parentless!"

"Stop!", everyone turns their head to the direction of the sudden scream.

Little Hayeon lets go of Taekwoon's hand and marches aggressively towards the group of the children. She did not pay attention to them though, instead she walk past them and crouches to envelope her arms to the child being bullied.

The child looks at Hayeon with his sparkly eyes. "You don't need to worry. Yeonie is here. Yeonie will protect you.", she says as she tightens her embrace on the child.

"You heard Yeonie," Little Taekwoon says to the others, "Go before we call the elderlies.", he continued while turns to glare each bully. He steps closer to where Hayeon and the child is, but he stops when he is past the bullies. He looks back at them, anger still evident in his eyes, "Yeonie and Woonie might be letting you go for what you have done now, but that does not mean Woonie won't remember each of you."

__________

Little Hayeon and Litte Taekwoon brought the child inside the mansion, and there they asked around what had happened to the child.

No one knows how the child ended up in the area near the mansion. Hayeon and Taekwoon are about to give up, when suddenly the eldest helper in the mansion approaches them.

Mrs. Jang, the eldest helper, tells them that the other child was found near the gates of the mansion, silently crying. She says that the child was left there by his own mother, as they found a letter tucked in the child's clothes.

"Written in the letter, his family is having a hard time raising him so she decided to leave the child in the place she is sure that is safe for the child- here."

Little Hayeon clutches the ribbon on her dress, silently crying over what she has heard. She snaps back to reality when she feels warm hands caressing her face.

"It's okay, Yeonie," Little Taekwoon says. He slowly envelopes his arm around the smaller frame of that of Hayeon. He lightly draws shapes using his index finger at the back of the other, in hopes of calming her down.

Mrs. Jang walks closer to the younger two, then she pats their heads. "It is a sad event, but let us just look at the positive side- at least the child is safe with us now."

__________

Little Hayeon looks at the child sleeping on her bed now.

Mrs. Jang told her and Taekwoon that the child was born on the 5th of July, that makes the child barely two years old by then. But sadly, Mrs. Jang can not recall the most important information about the child- his name. The child's name is written in the letter, but Mrs. Jang can not recall it. She promised both Hayeon and Taekwoon that she will tell them his name as soon as she remembers it, or just hand them the letter as soon as she can.

Little Hayeon settles herself beside the child. She lightly traces the features of the child, but stops as soon as she hears the door to her room open.

Little Taekwoon enters her room with few snacks in hand. He sits at the foot of the bed and watches the child sleep for awhile.

"I saw Mrs. Jang then she gave Woonie this," he says then passes a bottle to Hayeon. "For baby."

Baby.  That's what they had agreed to call the child for now, for as long as they don't know his name. "He's still a baby! He's just bigger than the usual babies!",​​​​​​ Hayeon says when they were talking about the child.

As if on cue, the baby cries. "Ah! Milk! Baby must have been so hungry," Hayeon says as she adjusts the body of the not-so-small baby so she can feed him with the bottle of milk from Mrs. Jang.

"Yeonie has asked permission if we can let the baby stay here," Hayeon tells Taekwoon. "Baby is cute, too! Yeonie wants to keep him!", Taekwoon nods at that. Yeonie places the feeding bottle at the night stand.

"Woonie heard the other children earlier? They said baby is parentless," Hayeon pouts as she says that. "If the baby stays here, can Yeonie be baby's eomma?"

"Eh?", Taekwoon stares at Hayeon, confused. But he didn't get a response as Hayeon proceeds to play with the baby.

Mrs. Jang enters the room to collect the feeding bottle, as well as to give Yeonie the requested toys for the baby.

"Thank you, Mrs. Jang!", Hayeon exclaims. Mrs. Jang smiles at her then caresses her hair. But before she can move out of the room, she feels Hayeon tug at her sleeve. She turns to Hayeon's direction and asks her what she needs.

"Yeonie is thinking if Yeonie can be baby's eomma?"

Mrs. Jang chuckles at that. Ah this kid. "Yeonie, do you think you can take care of baby on your own?"

Hayeon looks up, thinking if she can do that. "Yeonie..Yeonie will try! But if Yeonie can't, then Yeonie will ask help!"

Mrs. Jang playfully pinches her cheeks. Hayeon giggles at her. "Then, Yeonie can be baby's eomma for the time being."

Hayeon's eyes widen and she can't stop from jumping around the room. She has to keep herself from screaming as to not to wake up the baby.

Her actions came to stop when she hears a clearing of throat. She immediately snaps her to the direction of the sound, and she finds Taekwoon playing the hem of his shirt.

"I..", he starts. "Woonie is thinking.."

Mrs. Jang nods at Taekwoon, encouraging him to continue speaking.

Taekwoon gulps but continues, "If Yeonie is baby's eomma, then...then..can Woonie be the appa?"